EOSERV Forum > EOMap > EOMap 0.4.0 preview
Page: << 1 2 3 >>
EOMap 0.4.0 preview
Post #205111 EOMap 0.4.0 preview

Here's a link to a slightly brushed up version of EOMap that should run without crashing: https://cache.tehsausage.com/eomap7.exe

It also has the patches to support larger tile-sets, can be run from anywhere, and a few other little fixes and changes.

0.4.1 (eomap4.exe):

• ctrl+scroll to zoom
  • scroll wheel goes faster
  • palette tabs load faster and save scroll positions
  • able to display and paint black tiles properly

0.4.2 (eomap5.exe):

• paletted bitmap loading support
  • EO directory selection appears in front of the application
  • Maximizing the window works correctly
  • Tile ID 0 errors aren't displayed
  • Palette tiles are laid out slightly less erratically (smaller objects won't fill gaps significantly higher up in the list)

0.4.3 (eomap6.exe)

• Fixed "Save As" crashing
  • Fixed arrow key scrolling
  • Fixed palette when loading gfx wider than 640 pixels
  • Fixed graphics loading hanging when loading certain maps

0.4.4 (eomap7.exe)

• Fixed crash on resize (Cirras)
  • Fixed tile alignment (e.g. on outside castle map) (Cirras)
  • Fixed loading of some maps (e.g. 00019.emf) (Bug #445) (Cirras)
  • Fixed brief flickering when too many animations are on screen (Cirras)
  • Fixed lockups when closing popup dialogs
  • Load in frames faster when possible, and slower when needed (hopefully less pop-in when scrolling palette window)
3 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #205112 Re: EOMap 0.4.0 preview

First impressions: 

• Stability and performance seem generally better in my environment.
  • It's great that animated walls are now being detected by width.
  • I love that missing/broken resources are being handled better now.

Some feedback:

• I assume you've moved away from the WinAPI functions and are now using your pe_reader and dib_reader implementations.
    A number of BU objects and walls are displaying as red error tiles. Didn't have a lot of time to check into why, but it's possible they're 8-bit BMPs. I recall this being a limitation of your dib_reader.
  • Should zooming use nearest-neighbor interpolation?
  • Alignment issues live on from previous versions. (Objects, animated walls, overlays, etc.)
  • Looks like error tiles are displayed for any GFX ID 0 that is not on layer 0.
    BU maps seem to have a fair number of these cases. I can only assume that some previous mapper has saved GFX 0 instead of removing the GFX altogether.
    It's probably not reasonable to display that as an error.
    Maybe eomap4 should just remove instances of GFX 0 automatically.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
3 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #205113 Re: EOMap 0.4.0 preview

Yeah, I had issues with the WinAPI functions not working properly in WINE I think, so I swapped them out for pe_reader -- the code is here: https://github.com/eoserv/eomap-classic. I forget if anyone made a patch for it to support loading paletted bitmaps, but its probably something I can add before a proper release.

Zooming without using filtering looks fucking awful. You want the filtering, trust me. Unfiltered scaling only looks remotely good at exactly 200%, and having it spontaneously jump from filtered to unfiltered between 190% and 200% would be jarring.

I wasn't willing to do a deep dive in to the map rendering code enough to determine why the large wall tiles are mis-aligned. If you could remind me how to fix it, that would be helpful.

Tiles 0 on anything but the ground layer was a previously invisible mistake, caused by switching palettes on EOMap and trying to paint before selecting a tile. Removing them automatically is probably fair enough, though it does means maps will change spontaneously from being opened and re-saved which I'm not a big fan of.

3 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #205114 Re: EOMap 0.4.0 preview
Sausage posted: (1st Nov 2020, 11:48 am)

Yeah, I had issues with the WinAPI functions not working properly in WINE I think, so I swapped them out for pe_reader -- the code is here: https://github.com/eoserv/eomap-classic. I forget if anyone made a patch for it to support loading paletted bitmaps, but its probably something I can add before a proper release.

Zooming without using filtering looks fucking awful. You want the filtering, trust me. Unfiltered scaling only looks remotely good at exactly 200%, and having it spontaneously jump from filtered to unfiltered between 190% and 200% would be jarring.

I wasn't willing to do a deep dive in to the map rendering code enough to determine why the large wall tiles are mis-aligned. If you could remind me how to fix it, that would be helpful.

Tiles 0 on anything but the ground layer was a previously invisible mistake, caused by switching palettes on EOMap and trying to paint before selecting a tile. Removing them automatically is probably fair enough, though it does means maps will change spontaneously from being opened and re-saved which I'm not a big fan of.

Nice to see this open-sourced. If you're hesitant to automatically fix maps with these erroneous GFX 0 tiles, you could always pop a message offering to clean them up when a problematic map is opened. No invisible changes, though it's likely to confuse the hell out of any non-technical user.

Anyway, I'm happy to open PRs for:

• 8-bit BMP support
  • Alignment issues
  • General draw order issues probably
  • Undo/Redo functionality maybe
---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
3 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #205115 Re: EOMap 0.4.0 preview

Quick question here about the mapper. I'm not on the coding end of literally anything so I'm generally unaware of what I'm about to ask. Would it be possible to implement a world map editing mode? Essentially having sections of the exe screen where you can place maps and render them into the mapper, outside of the map being edited/created, to make more geographically accurate maps? Was always hoping to see a feature such as this get implemented into a mapping program for EO. As I said I'm just unaware of what can be done with this map program as is.

---
Fallen Evolution Adminsitrator | Demi#5030
3 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #205116 Re: EOMap 0.4.0 preview
[FE]Demi posted: (1st Nov 2020, 04:00 pm)

Quick question here about the mapper. I'm not on the coding end of literally anything so I'm generally unaware of what I'm about to ask. Would it be possible to implement a world map editing mode? Essentially having sections of the exe screen where you can place maps and render them into the mapper, outside of the map being edited/created, to make more geographically accurate maps? Was always hoping to see a feature such as this get implemented into a mapping program for EO. As I said I'm just unaware of what can be done with this map program as is.

Chunk mapping would be a tricky thing to achieve as it may not suit all users and their respective mapping. Some may make maps with warps that connect logically, others may make maps that really just go crazy. An option you could try is opening two instances of the map editor to visually see what you are putting together as that seems it would suit you better. Also, with the zoom out feature available, it is now easier than ever to view larger maps in that respect. Just be careful because that will result in two palette windows which can be a bit confusing. Another solution would be just making your maps the same size and all edges could be warp tiles to the next map in view. 
3 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #205118 Re: EOMap 0.4.0 preview
[FE]Demi posted: (1st Nov 2020, 04:00 pm)

Its a very cool idea, but there's no way I would ever bother creating something like that for EO, let alone in a brushed up revision of a single-file map editor.

That would be large paradigm shift and you'd probably want everything else in the ecosystem built around the idea of one monolithic world space. You would be dynamically creating map IDs and coordinates depending on how you choose to slice up the world, which EOSERV would have no way of being able to compensate for, so effectively you'd have to create what you want, slice up the maps one time, and never be able to adjust how you sliced up the maps, because you'd risk sending players in to walls and random maps if IDs or coordinates changed around.

3 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #205119 Re: EOMap 0.4.0 preview

Updated with a new version with paletted tile support and hidden tile ID 0s, let me know how well it works.

Any idea how to resolve this issue of a broken animated torch? They're both 64 pixels wide so I'm unsure how I differentiate which should be animated.

3 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #205120 Re: EOMap 0.4.0 preview
Sausage posted: (2nd Nov 2020, 03:21 pm)

Updated with a new version with paletted tile support and hidden tile ID 0s, let me know how well it works.

Any idea how to resolve this issue of a broken animated torch? They're both 64 pixels wide so I'm unsure how I differentiate which should be animated.

Paletted BMP support and hidden tile ID 0's are both working on my end. I'm not seeing any spooky red tiles in the palette or our maps.

My recollection is that the "animated" torch from EO main is a broken asset and won't animate in the client.
Minimum width for an animated wall should always be 128px.

Some other feedback for 0.4.2:

• Looks like vertical resizing of the palette is sometimes blacking out the whole palette window. Clicking a palette tab will make it to redraw.
  • Object tab is not displaying all BU resources - similar to when the palette height was limited previously.
  • Can't seem to move around the map with the arrow keys.
---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
3 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #205121 Re: EOMap 0.4.0 preview

I have not tested this theory, but is the torch flagged by its height to call the special divide by 4 animation method? Something is definitely unique as the campfire wall as seen on 45 is another unique animated wall. I can check unless someone beats me to it by copying the resource to rule out hard-coding in the client sometime tomorrow.
3 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #205122 Re: EOMap 0.4.0 preview
Cirras posted: (2nd Nov 2020, 03:44 pm)

Paletted BMP support and hidden tile ID 0's are both working on my end. I'm not seeing any spooky red tiles in the palette or our maps.

My recollection is that the "animated" torch from EO main is a broken asset and won't animate in the client.

• Looks like vertical resizing of the palette is sometimes blacking out the whole palette window. Clicking a palette tab will make it to redraw.
  • Object tab is not displaying all BU resources - similar to when the palette height was limited previously.

Looks like just the last graphic on the list is missing, which is just an off by one issue. Any other examples of missing graphics?

Also does that mean these flags are also correctly broken?

3 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #205123 Re: EOMap 0.4.0 preview
Sausage posted: (2nd Nov 2020, 07:47 pm)

Cirras posted: (2nd Nov 2020, 03:44 pm)

Looks like just the last graphic on the list is missing, which is just an off by one issue. Any other examples of missing graphics?

Also does that mean these flags are also correctly broken?

Those flags are indeed broken.

Hundreds of the resources in the Object tab were missing. It wasn't just an off-by-one.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
3 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #205124 Re: EOMap 0.4.0 preview

Are you just comparing two side by side or can you point to one that is specifically missing, because the way its laid out changed.

3 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #205125 Re: EOMap 0.4.0 preview
Sausage posted: (2nd Nov 2020, 11:25 pm)

Are you just comparing two side by side or can you point to one that is specifically missing, because the way its laid out changed.

Sure, here's an example.
Object 2393 loads in 0.4.1 and doesn't load in 0.4.2.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
3 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #205126 Re: EOMap 0.4.0 preview
Cirras posted: (3rd Nov 2020, 02:00 am)

Sausage posted: (2nd Nov 2020, 11:25 pm)

Sure, here's an example.
Object 2393 loads in 0.4.1 and doesn't load in 0.4.2.

Ah, yeah, you're right that doesn't show up in 0.4.2. It looks like it was caused by a few of the graphics being wider than 640 pixels and causing the layout to fail and end early. I'd already fixed that here without realizing so I was confused.
3 years, 25 weeks ago
Page: << 1 2 3 >>

EOSERV Forum > EOMap > EOMap 0.4.0 preview