EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > Admin Chat Index Fix
Page: << 1 >>
Admin Chat Index Fix
Post #203041 Admin Chat Index Fix
Posting a simple fix for the annoying admin chat index issue.

For some stupid reason 'probably intentionally', Vult set the admin chat image index to the global chat image index.
In other words, when you talk in admin chat '@', it displays the global chat image, instead of the admin chat image.
I doubt this was due to laziness or error, as it seems pretty intentional/illogical to not fix something like this..

You can fix it with the simple modification below.

Default 0042ACDB C7 45 BC 03 00 00 00
Proper  0042ACDB C7 45 BC 05 00 00 00

---
EO Resources/Guides: â—„ eobud.boards.net â–º
7 years, 5 weeks ago
Post #203042 Re: Admin Chat Index Fix

This looks great and is a worthy fix! Hope to try it out at some point. Thank you, cant wait to see what else you have to share!

Edit:

It seems that "+" is the prefix for an Admin message. and "@" is the prefix for an announcement message. So I guess its arguable if "@" should be labeled as Admin or Global.

---
Just your friendly neighborhood Programmer-Man!
7 years, 5 weeks ago
Post #203043 Re: Admin Chat Index Fix
Shilo posted: (26th Mar 2017, 06:12 am)

This looks great and is a worthy fix! Hope to try it out at some point. Thank you, cant wait to see what else you have to share!

Edit:

It seems that "+" is the prefix for an Admin message. and "@" is the prefix for an announcement message. So I guess its arguable if "@" should be labeled as Admin or Global.

No worries, I'll definitely share more over time.

Like you said, '@' is for admin announcements, and '+' is for admin chat.
I don't see why @ would be labeled as global. It's an admin announcement, and the messages are not only sent to global chat.
I'd think it makes more sense to consider it admin than global. =d 
That's just my opinion though. It just bothers me seeing the global image for an admin announcement.
I mean, even the command key is @ for admin. =d
---
7 years, 5 weeks ago
Post #203044 Re: Admin Chat Index Fix
shayne posted: (26th Mar 2017, 09:07 pm)

Shilo posted: (26th Mar 2017, 06:12 am)

Edit:

No worries, I'll definitely share more over time.

Like you said, '@' is for admin announcements, and '+' is for admin chat.
I don't see why @ would be labeled as global. It's an admin announcement, and the messages are not only sent to global chat.
I'd think it makes more sense to consider it admin than global. =d 
That's just my opinion though. It just bothers me seeing the global image for an admin announcement.
I mean, even the command key is @ for admin. =d

Loves how you find and change things like this lmao, I think the global thing makes sense tho since them messages are broadcaster globally throughout the server. Vult should have made an official announcement one really tho
7 years, 5 weeks ago
Post #203045 Re: Admin Chat Index Fix

Yeah, this one definitely intention to vult because the @ is referencing global announcement and not global chat while + references admin. This is a really good tutorial though, I love how you are finding so many things you can change in the client for people.

---
Andrewbob - I would be on the fucking copter of rofls

Programmer, Web Developer, and Graphics Designer
7 years, 5 weeks ago
Post #203046 Re: Admin Chat Index Fix

I see the point you guys make. I guess I didn't exactly think about it that way.
I personally like having an admin image for admin announcements, but I guess it really comes down to preference either way, as both ways make sense.

The way I thought about it was that for one, only admins can send announcements.
Two, it doesn't only send globally, but also sends publicly, and in group chat.
That is why I thought it made more sense to have an admin image, as opposed to global.
It would be nice to have an entirely different image for it though. :(

Thanks for the thoughts/feedback.
It's fun finding these types of modifications, and this particular one was easy to find.
I'll pretty much release anything I find unless it can be abused in a bad way. (The very RARE time I'll find something I'll keep private for my client/server.)

I've got a decent collection of other useful things I've found and not yet released. Eventually I'll get to releasing basically all of those, as well as new things I find.

---
7 years, 5 weeks ago
Post #203047 Re: Admin Chat Index Fix

I would definitely recommend starting a wiki page and keep a list of hex addresses and stuff for this! They help a lot with the limited functionality of the client. Or just like a list of your posts!

---
Andrewbob - I would be on the fucking copter of rofls

Programmer, Web Developer, and Graphics Designer
7 years, 5 weeks ago
Post #203052 Re: Admin Chat Index Fix
shayne posted: (27th Mar 2017, 03:31 am)

I see the point you guys make. I guess I didn't exactly think about it that way.
I personally like having an admin image for admin announcements, but I guess it really comes down to preference either way, as both ways make sense.

The way I thought about it was that for one, only admins can send announcements.
Two, it doesn't only send globally, but also sends publicly, and in group chat.
That is why I thought it made more sense to have an admin image, as opposed to global.
It would be nice to have an entirely different image for it though. :(

Thanks for the thoughts/feedback.
It's fun finding these types of modifications, and this particular one was easy to find.
I'll pretty much release anything I find unless it can be abused in a bad way. (The very RARE time I'll find something I'll keep private for my client/server.)

I've got a decent collection of other useful things I've found and not yet released. Eventually I'll get to releasing basically all of those, as well as new things I find.

Is the admins image used anywhere in the client? haha thats a neat find!
---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
7 years, 5 weeks ago
Post #203068 Re: Admin Chat Index Fix
Wildsurvival
I will probably start a wiki page sometime soon, it would probably be a good idea. For now I'll just post on my site, and here.
Yea there is a lot of annoying limits and behavior that can be changed/improved. That's why this is worthwhile and some what fun to mess with. =d

Hacker_Alex
The admin chat image is only used for admin chat in the client. '+' key
Or do you mean the actual admin image, like in the playerlists, ect?
---
7 years, 5 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > Admin Chat Index Fix