EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Port Forwarding [FULL GUIDE]
Topic is locked.
Page: << 1 >>
Port Forwarding [FULL GUIDE]
Post #35372 Port Forwarding [FULL GUIDE]

PORT FORWARDING GUIDE

Hopefully, by reading this guide, you can stop complaining that your server keeps shutting down or that people can't connect to you. Maybe even that your XBL connection sucks. However this is going to require an explanation first. If you know what ports and IP addresses are, feel free to skip down.

Why you need it

Port forwarding basically allows random computers to connect to you. I go into more detail later on. For them to connect, there needs to be an opening in the firewall, so that they are not blocked. If you have SLN turned on for example, it will crash the server app, because the SLN could not access your server. Because the port was closed.

Ports

Ports, to the best of my knowledge, are virtual interfaces that are required for computers to connect to one another directly according to the OSI model. They are application specific, meaning that each application has an associated port. If you want to connect to a computer acting as a web server - for example, this one - then you would connect to that computer on port 80, the port associated with HTTP. It is almost like an address pointing to which application you are using.

Your IP

You have to pretty much be living under a rock to not have heard of an IP address. This address is the basic necessity of your computer connecting to the web. It's pretty much the exact same as a mailing address, so you should start thinking of it that way. There are differences however; private and public IP address have different uses and different meanings. All the computers behind your router will be assigned a private IP address. This can be either a 10.x.x.x, a 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x (range), or (most likely) a 192.168.x.x address. This address is not accessable via the internet. However, your public IP address is, and that is how other people find your computer. This address is any number that is NOT one of the ranges above, as well as it must be lower than 224.x.x.x (those are reserved). For example, my home IP address is 24.16.136.241.

A router is assigned both a public and a private IP address. Usually the public is given automatically by your ISP to you, so you don't need to worry about it at all. The internal CAN be set by you, but if you're reading this, then you probably had no reason to need to change it when you got your router. The internal applies only to the local network, and the external applies to every other computer that wants to connect to you.

Starting

There are a couple of key pieces of information that we are going to need first. On a windows computer, (sorry, if you have a different OS, you lost me already) go toStart->run and type in 'cmd' and press enter. If the 'run' command is not available, go to Accessories and open command prompt. Then type in ipconfig in the prompt bar, and you should get something like this:

The first address is your computer. Remember this, it is important. Mine is 192.168.0.2 for example. Subnet mask you can just ignore, because you don't need to know it for port forwarding. Default gateway is the internal address of your router. The next step is to go into your web browser and type in the default gateway address.

Configuring your Router

Now that you have accessed the web management interface of your router, you are going to need a username and password. Look for the documentation that came with your router, or google it, there should be a default option like username: admin password: password or some other generic thing like that. If you can't log in to your router, or your network admin won't let you, give up, because you can't go on without doing that.

I have a D-Link router that I use to port forward. If you look around the site that your router gives you, you should eventually find a page called 'port forwarding' (mine was under a tab called 'Advanced Settings'). Here's a screenie for you noobs:

Alright the circle pretty much gives it away: I have a lot of ports configured, but you want to put in your computer's IP address in the text box that asks for an IP address, and the port for whichever application you are using. Since EOSERV and SEOSE use 8078, that is why 8078 is forwarded to the 192.168.0.2 server. Type refers to TCP/UDP traffic, you want to specify both for any port you configure. Less problems for you in the end! Port 80 is also forwarded so that web requests sent to the router are forwarded to this specific host as well.

Ports 53, 3074, and 88 have to do with that nasty 'closed NAT' error that games give you on XBOX when you try and play online. Its a simple fix, just forward those ports to your XBOX, and you're good to go!

How the router does it

I never really explained this part of the process. But, when a computer says "hey, I want to see 24.16.136.241's web site", it sends a request to that IP address (my router's external IP). The router checks its port forwarding table to see if there is an exception to allow traffic through to the web server. If there isn't, the router blocks the connection. Implicit denial. However, since it has the exception listed, it allows the connection, and sends the data request to the specified server (192.168.0.2). This way, if there are 20 computers connected to the router, it knows specifically which one handles the web server.

Almost done!

Windows firewall works a lot like a router, and now, you have to do pretty much the exact same thing that you did in the router to windows firewall: open the port. Different versions of windows do this in different ways, however, with a little thing called google, go look it up. Seriously. I gave you all the theory, now implement it, and allow port 8078 through windows firewall.

Option 2: If you're lazy, don't care about security, and have an IQ of 74, just turn off windows firewall completely. I dare you.

And if I said something incorrect in any way, contact me, and I will resolve the issue.

---
Spiderdud / Included
14 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #35391 Re: Port Forwarding [FULL GUIDE]

there was a reason i posted it on my website and not here. this isn't a portforwarding support forum. i hate to moderate but i need to defend my own work here. 

---
class EOSERV {
Programmer | Oldbie
Open source EO Client: https://github.com/ethanmoffat/EndlessClient
};
14 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #35393 Re: Port Forwarding [FULL GUIDE]

This guy here http://em-eo.no-ip.org/ would probably be more apt to help you with this situation, since this is his guide.

---
Wish upon a star!
14 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #87006 Re: Port Forwarding [FULL GUIDE]

Hey Uhm I have a 2 Wire 3600HGV, and i tried portfowarding but it dont work when i do it like watch:

Application Profile Name:  Seose

Create Application Definition

Protocal:    TCP   Or UDP ( i chose TCP)

Port (Or Range):   From:         To:       (I Put 8078, 8078)

Protocal Timeout:                     TCP defaults 8400 Seconds, UDP 600 Seconds (idk 

what to put here)

Map To Host Port:               Default/Blank = Same as Port Above (idk what to 

put)

Then is says Application Type: then makes you click the arrow. Please help me i know how to portfoward other routers but not thihs one, this isnt workin

12 years, 44 weeks ago
Post #87007 Re: Port Forwarding [FULL GUIDE]
Crossfirerr32696 posted: (8th Jul 2011 08:48 am)

Hey Uhm I have a 2 Wire 3600HGV, and i tried portfowarding but it dont work when i do it like watch:

Application Profile Name:  Seose

Create Application Definition

Protocal:    TCP   Or UDP ( i chose TCP)

Port (Or Range):   From:         To:       (I Put 8078, 8078)

Protocal Timeout:                     TCP defaults 8400 Seconds, UDP 600 Seconds (idk 

what to put here)

Map To Host Port:               Default/Blank = Same as Port Above (idk what to 

put)

Then is says Application Type: then makes you click the arrow. Please help me i know how to portfoward other routers but not thihs one, this isnt workin

Wow, old topic is old. O_O
If you're too stupid to portforward then you're probably too stupid to manage EOSERV too. Give up.

Also, stop bumping threads from the age of dinosaurs.

12 years, 44 weeks ago
Post #139473 Re: Port Forwarding [FULL GUIDE]

nvm

12 years, 5 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>
Topic is locked.
EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Port Forwarding [FULL GUIDE]