EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Writing Script
Page: << 1 >>
Writing Script
Post #205045 Writing Script

Creating an objective-based server, where instead of roaming a world you collectively solve, or complete, that maps sole objective. When completed, everyone on the map (on the server) will be teleported to a new, but completely different map. When you die you will be teleported to a different map where you wait for the current objective to be completed.

My question is: how would I go about running a script that could handle what I want accomplished? Without help I could maybe figure it out along the way, but the more I look into it, the more ambitious it seems. I've never really seen it done (except by programmer on his own server maybe) and honestly would like an opinion. I'll elaborate a little, I'd like for certain path blocks to enable/disable on conditions. It probably seems stupid but kinda at a loss

edit: please remove this when given the time

3 years, 41 weeks ago
Post #205049 Re: Writing Script

If you're looking to make a quest, you could do this but without some server-side programming, as far as I know you won't be able to allow everyone to work on it collectively. Everyone would have their own version of the quest and teleport at their own time.

---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
3 years, 38 weeks ago
Post #205054 Re: Writing Script
Hacker_Alex posted: (27th Jul 2020, 04:19 am)

If you're looking to make a quest, you could do this but without some server-side programming, as far as I know you won't be able to allow everyone to work on it collectively. Everyone would have their own version of the quest and teleport at their own time.

The only thing I could think of potentially is writing a bot script that checks the map for NPCs and when an entire map is cleared it global warps everybody. If you coupled this with a long enough respawn and/or got enough people on a certain map, it could potentially work. =|

As for enabling/disabling routes, the only thing I saw anybody do similar to this was when people had the lotteries, and the only way I saw them getting around this was by swapping out the map files on the server end. That or basically creating an exact duplicate map but where once a checkpoint has been reached it warps you to the next map or past the obstacle. 

But I pretty much have to agree with Alex. There really is no good way to go about this without writing your own client to support such a feature, because afaik eoserv doesn't really support anything similar to a server-wide quest system.

---
Former multi-server mapper.
3 years, 38 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Writing Script