EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > EO Specific animation frames?
Page: << 1 >>
EO Specific animation frames?
Post #204414 EO Specific animation frames?

So I've had some spare time to continue working on the custom engine around EOs assets lately, got a basic Character class with movement, a tile map layout rendered isometrically, culling procedures, groundwork for tile-to-tile lighting, walking animation, races/gender, scrolling and an animated camera system, UI, custom AssetPipeline library to allow dynamically loaded(or created during run-time) assets, loads and loads of foundation work done and now I'm making some Quality Of Life tools to aid me in importing assets and making them malleable.

The first thing I'm going to implement is weapons, importing each sprite and processing them on the asset load thread is kind of slow so I'm consolidating them into sheets(this also saves me the painful math behind identifying which frame to use out of a large array)

But I'm really confused as to which frames are for WHAT exactly, I've exported the male weapon sprites and I'm about to create the consolidation tool but I'm not 100% which frame is for which character state or animation. is there a list organizing precisely this? The character sprites were easy to figure out but the weapons and armor and hair are going to be more complicated.

5 years, 24 weeks ago
Post #204415 Re: EO Specific animation frames?

The sprite layouts is one of the more confusing things about the client.

I put all the stuff into enums when I was doing it. Take a look at the EndlessClient/Rendering/Sprites folder. The enums defined there should have comments describing what offset is associated with the named enum value.

---
class EOSERV {
Programmer | Oldbie
Open source EO Client: https://github.com/ethanmoffat/EndlessClient
};
5 years, 24 weeks ago
Post #204416 Re: EO Specific animation frames?
ethanmoffat posted: (16th Oct 2018, 03:49 am)

The sprite layouts is one of the more confusing things about the client.

I put all the stuff into enums when I was doing it. Take a look at the EndlessClient/Rendering/Sprites folder. The enums defined there should have comments describing what offset is associated with the named enum value.

Thanks! I can't believe I didn't think of that. EndlessClient was the entire reason I even got the idea to do this!

Edit: That solved a lot of my problems, now i can start consolidating each frame into respective sheets! Thank you!

5 years, 24 weeks ago
Post #204417 Re: EO Specific animation frames?

Ethan's client is a really excellent resource for a lot of this stuff. I assume it should be helpful for most frame alignments as well.

For this particular question, this guide from Pixelsource may also be helpful.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
5 years, 24 weeks ago
Post #204418 Re: EO Specific animation frames?
Cirras posted: (16th Oct 2018, 04:54 am)

Ethan's client is a really excellent resource for a lot of this stuff. I assume it should be helpful for most frame alignments as well.

Thank you! I'll go over that.

And yes, EndlessClient is really impressive and I had a lot of fun messing with it a few years ago, very very well organized code made it easy to add new stuff too like Rain and lighting. 

I'm done working on the engine for tonight, currently making a utility to compile the individual sprites into sheets to make this easier on my loading procedures.

Is there a reason male and female weapons are saved separately? What's the big different? Wouldn't it be more viable to just apply an offset to the male weapon GFX when used by a female? Or is it really important to have them both?

5 years, 24 weeks ago
Post #204426 Re: EO Specific animation frames?

I'd keep both for the sake of consistency (All paperdoll items have a male and female EGF file). That being said, I'm fairly certain that the 2 weapon files are identical, unlike armors/boots/hats/shields.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
5 years, 23 weeks ago
Post #204429 Re: EO Specific animation frames?
Cirras posted: (16th Oct 2018, 04:54 am)

Still one of my favorite looking websites :P 
---
CN:BH 4 lyfe
5 years, 23 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > EO Specific animation frames?