EOSERV Forum > Game Development > The state of EO and EO Assets in 2018/2019
Page: << 1 >>
The state of EO and EO Assets in 2018/2019
Post #204403 The state of EO and EO Assets in 2018/2019

So, over the course of the last few years I've strayed off from EO related projects and made a lot of unrelated stuff, pet projects.

One of them is titled Endless, after the seemingly abandoned state of EndlesaClient I had began working on it myself but im afraid it's just not what I want, EO is dated and frankly a modern client is going to be a waste of effort. HOWEVER, I've made myself familiar with porting my old XNA projects to mobile and then to Android and next week testing Xbox. I wrote an isometric renderer with scrolling, zooming, etc. I did this using EO assets in a custom content pipeline I made for my other projects. I'd planned on an entirely different mobile targeted game using the EO assets(which many of you already distribute and download from unofficial sources)

If i continued developing this isometeic engine intending to make what you could consider an EO "Fan game" and attempted to share it on appstores for absolutely no profit or revenue (and included blatant and obvious disclaimers and credits) how does everyone see this going? it will generate absolutely no revenue via ads or even donations. How bad of an idea is this? 

5 years, 29 weeks ago
Post #204404 Re: The state of EO and EO Assets in 2018/2019

TLDR: Probably not the best use of your time, but do whatever you feel like.

Honestly, I see it either going one of two ways. Either the game will more than likely become a zombie app and just sit in app stores collecting dust, or in the unlikely event that Vult is still floating around and gives a f*ck (Which at this point I highly doubt), a DMCA could be slapped on the game and pulled.

Regardless, if you want to put in the time to create an app based on Endless, you have all the power to do so. But depending on how much time and resources you end up putting into it, getting no benefits out of it in the long haul just seems like a waste of time to me.

---
Former multi-server mapper.
5 years, 29 weeks ago
Post #204405 Re: The state of EO and EO Assets in 2018/2019
Misca posted: (6th Oct 2018, 09:07 pm)

TLDR: Probably not the best use of your time, but do whatever you feel like.

Honestly, I see it either going one of two ways. Either the game will more than likely become a zombie app and just sit in app stores collecting dust, or in the unlikely event that Vult is still floating around and gives a f*ck (Which at this point I highly doubt), a DMCA could be slapped on the game and pulled.

Regardless, if you want to put in the time to create an app based on Endless, you have all the power to do so. But depending on how much time and resources you end up putting into it, getting no benefits out of it in the long haul just seems like a waste of time to me.

Agreed. It probably won't be very useful. The only useful thing this community needs is an active game client project which is compatible with EOSERV. Unfortunately, none of the people actively working on that have made it open source.

Just for curiosity sakes, can we see some pictures of your engine though? Is it single player or multiplayer?
5 years, 29 weeks ago
Post #204406 Re: The state of EO and EO Assets in 2018/2019

Here's my thought process on it.

Do you think you would learn valuable skills, whether technical or project management related, from such a project?
Do you think this would look good on a resume or could otherwise advance your professional goals?
Do you think you would feel good and/or validated by the community's approval as a result of that project? It's a valid reason.

If any number of the above are true, then you should go ahead and do it. The worst thing that is likely to happen is you'll lose interest after a couple months and stop working on the project. Even so, there's no shame in that if it does happen.

Don't be concerned by the possibility of legal action at this point. Worst case scenario is a cease and desist, and even that is unlikely.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
5 years, 29 weeks ago
Post #204410 Re: The state of EO and EO Assets in 2018/2019
Cirras posted: (7th Oct 2018, 05:10 am)

Do you think you would learn valuable skills, whether technical or project management related, from such a project?
Do you think this would look good on a resume or could otherwise advance your professional goals?
Do you think you would feel good and/or validated by the community's approval as a result of that project? It's a valid reason.

If any number of the above are true, then you should go ahead and do it. The worst thing that is likely to happen is you'll lose interest after a couple months and stop working on the project. Even so, there's no shame in that if it does happen.

Don't be concerned by the possibility of legal action at this point. Worst case scenario is a cease and desist, and even that is unlikely.

You're right about all of this. The reason(s) i want to do it are really simple actually.

I just love EO for one, I thought very seriously about just picking up EndlessClient from github and finishing it myself, BUT, to myself this is a waste of time. I have no interest in expanding the existing game.

I've always wanted to use some of the existing code and libraries I've made for other projects on Android and possibly Xbox, this would be a good way to learn both platforms.

Me and my friends love casual multiplayer games like Terraria(especially on mobile) and have a lot of our own ideas we'd like to try out, and the EO visual assets have are exactly what we'd need to accommodate everything. Along with help me better understand how to create cross-platform multiplayer projects for when i finally DO decide to make a commercial game(potentially even using the engine I'm making for this)

And of course, it'd be cool to come back to eoserv one of these days with a brand new Endless based game to share with everyone.

I'm going to pursue this regardless of the outcome because it will be fun, and as you've said the WORST thing that can happen is a cease and desist or I just get bored after I've confirmed that I can do it(I have a bad habit of doing this).

If anyone is interested, I've already created a new Soundtrack for a game I'd actually started making a few years ago that is partially based on the EO OST and some originals I made for it(I've uploaded some to YouTube and will be happy to share them on request).

5 years, 29 weeks ago
Post #204411 Re: The state of EO and EO Assets in 2018/2019
mrsix posted: (8th Oct 2018, 09:03 am)

Cirras posted: (7th Oct 2018, 05:10 am)

You're right about all of this. The reason(s) i want to do it are really simple actually.

I just love EO for one, I thought very seriously about just picking up EndlessClient from github and finishing it myself, BUT, to myself this is a waste of time. I have no interest in expanding the existing game.

I've always wanted to use some of the existing code and libraries I've made for other projects on Android and possibly Xbox, this would be a good way to learn both platforms.

Me and my friends love casual multiplayer games like Terraria(especially on mobile) and have a lot of our own ideas we'd like to try out, and the EO visual assets have are exactly what we'd need to accommodate everything. Along with help me better understand how to create cross-platform multiplayer projects for when i finally DO decide to make a commercial game(potentially even using the engine I'm making for this)

And of course, it'd be cool to come back to eoserv one of these days with a brand new Endless based game to share with everyone.

I'm going to pursue this regardless of the outcome because it will be fun, and as you've said the WORST thing that can happen is a cease and desist or I just get bored after I've confirmed that I can do it(I have a bad habit of doing this).

If anyone is interested, I've already created a new Soundtrack for a game I'd actually started making a few years ago that is partially based on the EO OST and some originals I made for it(I've uploaded some to YouTube and will be happy to share them on request).

Would love to hear that soundtrack, sounds neat!
---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
5 years, 29 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > Game Development > The state of EO and EO Assets in 2018/2019