EOSERV Forum > Game Development > What if I wanted to make a 1-player game out of EO client?
Page: << 1 >>
What if I wanted to make a 1-player game out of EO client?
Post #204079 What if I wanted to make a 1-player game out of EO client?

I want to make an artsy type single player game using EO's engine, but this requires i make GUI changes and font changes, like where the buttons are, where items on paperdoll show up, disabling the online functionality entirely (meaning the chat features, the game connecting to a server, and accounts/character creation), and other things in that vein

How would i go about doing this? are there resources and tutorials for everything? I ask because I remember that this game already has resources to make massive changes to the game with user made tools already and I'd like to learn more

Thanks guys

6 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #204080 Re: What if I wanted to make a 1-player game out of EO client?

The short answer: You can't do it.

The long answer: This is an MMORPG client. It's designed to get almost all of its data from a server. There is no way to "deactivate" the networking aspect. Buttons can probably be moved with some clever hex editing,  but you're not going to introduce any substantial new functionality to this client, or even disable any major existing functionality without breaking literally everything.

Now, if you wanted to create a heavily modified version of EOSERV that instances your entire game world to give a "single player experience" to every player online? You could probably do it, but it doesn't sound like it fits your needs or wants.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
6 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #204082 Re: What if I wanted to make a 1-player game out of EO client?
Cirras posted: (8th Mar 2018, 02:26 am)

Thanks cirras

that's unfortunate, a lot of the ideas in my head seemed very possible for what i wanted, a majority just seemed simple, i know that theres ways to permanently mute players, make certain puzzle items lore so you can't drop them, and music/sfx and gfx is easier than ever to edit, and quest stuff is possible for custom dialogue that's why i asked

i really kind of wanted an isometric view type that's easier to see detail in players/environments thing to modify the fuck out of to create this

one of the things i was thinking by making it single player was to boot from localhost? but i don't know how feasible/optimal that is

6 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #204083 Re: What if I wanted to make a 1-player game out of EO client?
ResonantWill posted: (9th Mar 2018, 06:41 pm)

Thanks cirras

that's unfortunate, a lot of the ideas in my head seemed very possible for what i wanted, a majority just seemed simple, i know that theres ways to permanently mute players, make certain puzzle items lore so you can't drop them, and music/sfx and gfx is easier than ever to edit, and quest stuff is possible for custom dialogue that's why i asked

i really kind of wanted an isometric view type that's easier to see detail in players/environments thing to modify the fuck out of to create this

one of the things i was thinking by making it single player was to boot from localhost? but i don't know how feasible/optimal that is

The only thing booting from localhost does is make the client look for the server on 127.0.0.1, so unless you plan to have every player run an instance of EOSERV on their computer the same problem applies.
---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
6 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #204084 Re: What if I wanted to make a 1-player game out of EO client?
Cirras posted: (9th Mar 2018, 11:45 pm)

Thanks cirras

The only thing booting from localhost does is make the client look for the server on 127.0.0.1, so unless you plan to have every player run an instance of EOSERV on their computer through same problem applies.

Wouldn't that require the player to run their own instance of eoserv that's tied to a local database?  I didn't fully read your post. Is there a way to have the client not communicate with a server and instead just create a save state? It'd probably require a lot of coding..
---
The good times are killing me.
6 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #204085 Re: What if I wanted to make a 1-player game out of EO client?
Zack posted: (10th Mar 2018, 01:27 am)

Cirras posted: (9th Mar 2018, 11:45 pm)

Thanks cirras

The only thing booting from localhost does is make the client look for the server on 127.0.0.1, so unless you plan to have every player run an instance of EOSERV on their computer through same problem applies.

Wouldn't that require the player to run their own instance of eoserv that's tied to a local database?  I didn't fully read your post. Is there a way to have the client not communicate with a server and instead just create a save state? It'd probably require a lot of coding..

It's less of a case of "it would be a lot of coding" and more of a case of "it would be impossible to even get to the coding stage." It's a close-sourced program, you can't just edit the code on a whim. The best you can do is some hacky hex-editing, and you're not going to introduce sweeping changes or any serious new features through that. I mean come on guys, Shane and I haven't even been able to work out how to edit NPC default name placements. What you're suggesting would basically be a completely new program, this client just isn't for offline use.
---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
6 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #204089 Re: What if I wanted to make a 1-player game out of EO client?

Yes you can do it. You can, for example, make the server run silently when someone runs the client. + it is possible to edit layout of EO GUI, I don't know the way but it is definitely possible

6 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #204090 Re: What if I wanted to make a 1-player game out of EO client?

If you were to make a single player game I imagine it would be more useful to use something like GitHub  Godot* or Unity (or from scratch) to recreate the EO engine but then be able to tweak it. and just use the GUI and stuff as placeholders? Because as Cirras said EO's client is pretty limited plus it's make for online play so you could take out the unnecessary elements so that they aren't in the way of the final game.

---
- Starley
6 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #204091 Re: What if I wanted to make a 1-player game out of EO client?
Estrella posted: (14th Mar 2018, 06:32 am)

If you were to make a single player game I imagine it would be more useful to use something like GitHub or Unity (or from scratch) to recreate the EO engine but then be able to tweak it. and just use the GUI and stuff as placeholders? Because as Cirras said EO's client is pretty limited plus it's make for online play so you could take out the unnecessary elements so that they aren't in the way of the final game.

Not to be an asshole..

Can I just ask what exactly would he want to use GitHub for?  You understand GitHub is a repository to host your open source projects.. yeah?  I haven't bothered looking through the website enough to see if you can create private or password protected repos.  But GitHub wont give him much other than finding someone else's project he can tweak or rewrite.

Even Unity might be hard for him.

Anyway, OP.

I suggest that if you want to take that route pick up a language like C# or Java with a library that's built for making games.  It's a great place to start, or if you end up dead set on Unity, head over to Udemy and buy a course on it; they're like $12.  I've been tempted to buy one of the Java courses just to see the extent of what they're teaching & how much I could potentially learn to improve on my project.  Seems as if the courses there are targeted more for beginners though, check it out.

Edit:
I didn't think of this til now, but I think you could even use RPG Maker XP (RMXP for short) with some RGSS script you can find on the internet that'll turn the game isometric.  Not sure on the map editor though; seems tedious at that point.  Check it out, either which way.  I wish you luck!

6 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #204093 Re: What if I wanted to make a 1-player game out of EO client?
Septharoth posted: (14th Mar 2018, 09:39 am)

Estrella posted: (14th Mar 2018, 06:32 am)

If you were to make a single player game I imagine it would be more useful to use something like GitHub or Unity (or from scratch) to recreate the EO engine but then be able to tweak it. and just use the GUI and stuff as placeholders? Because as Cirras said EO's client is pretty limited plus it's make for online play so you could take out the unnecessary elements so that they aren't in the way of the final game.

Not to be an asshole..

Can I just ask what exactly would he want to use GitHub for?  You understand GitHub is a repository to host your open source projects.. yeah?  I haven't bothered looking through the website enough to see if you can create private or password protected repos.  But GitHub wont give him much other than finding someone else's project he can tweak or rewrite.

Even Unity might be hard for him.

Anyway, OP.

I suggest that if you want to take that route pick up a language like C# or Java with a library that's built for making games.  It's a great place to start, or if you end up dead set on Unity, head over to Udemy and buy a course on it; they're like $12.  I've been tempted to buy one of the Java courses just to see the extent of what they're teaching & how much I could potentially learn to improve on my project.  Seems as if the courses there are targeted more for beginners though, check it out.

Edit:
I didn't think of this til now, but I think you could even use RPG Maker XP (RMXP for short) with some RGSS script you can find on the internet that'll turn the game isometric.  Not sure on the map editor though; seems tedious at that point.  Check it out, either which way.  I wish you luck!

Oops, I mean't Godot. I got the names confused.
---
- Starley
6 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #204098 Re: What if I wanted to make a 1-player game out of EO client?

You could definitely make a solo player server but it would take a lot of changes to the server code. I had this idea awhile ago, for example, you could store a world instance for each player and only communicate those to that players client. But, you could make the chat channels global for communication between the worlds for players. Theres some stuff you could do for this like saving each players separate world state or just having it play out like normal EO. 

As for the graphics, you would have to deal with the limitations of hacking the client resources.

---
Andrewbob - I would be on the fucking copter of rofls

Programmer, Web Developer, and Graphics Designer
6 years, 5 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > Game Development > What if I wanted to make a 1-player game out of EO client?