EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > jEndlessOnline - The cross-platform Endless Online client&server
Page: << 1 2 >>
jEndlessOnline - The cross-platform Endless Online client&server
Post #204036 jEndlessOnline - The cross-platform Endless Online client&server

early stages of something wonderful.    just know that if i release this to the public and don't use it for my own server or collar with an artist on a new game entirely, I refuse to put that same shitty GUI we all love & I will have a modern UI.

see you all soon

edit: will post combat & ui functions after work :)

6 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #204037 Re: blasphemy

I had to make a new account just to tell you that this is wonderfully wonderful. How far along are you as far as progress?

6 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #204038 Re: blasphemy

Looks neat. What are you writing it in? 

Guessing from the j, java?

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
6 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #204039 Re: blasphemy

Yeah, it's Java.

I've no screenshots for today.  Started fiddling with an OpenGL library & I think I'm gonna port this to use OpenGL before I go anywhere else with it.

Edit:  The Hp/mp/sp bars are temporary as fuck, I'm gonna find a proper place for them & a good design.  Also, the Main Menu on the side is a temporary thing as well, Haven't decided if I'm going to have moveable menus or just snap them onto the sides/corners.  Maybe do something similar to how Runescape has their UI setup.

But I've established client<->server connections, chat works(public is global currently, haven't really figure out how I'm going to determine if chat is in x,y range, hell I haven't even made each tile have their own x,y yet lmao.  I'LL GET THERE!

I've decided movement is going to be "upgraded" to pixel-by-pixel movement, rather than tile-by-tile.  So, it's staying the way it is now.  I'm creating in-game editors as well, to manage Entities such as NPCs and Interact-able Map Objects(such as chests, chairs, signs, etc, as they are all entities rather than physical parts of the map).

Spent all of my time off work working on this client.  Fuck yeah.

6 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #204046 Re: blasphemy

Pretty cool. I just realized the shift to run too. I guess this would allow for more sophisticated features like jobs and passive abilities and stuff, basically all the stuff the endless wanted to have. But of course you'd want to finish the base before adding too many extra bells and whistles.

---
- Starley
6 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #204051 jEndlessOnline - The cross-platform Endless Online client&server

Updates!

(I forgot to update the chat log to reflect playerName, opposed to the pre-defined string I used.)

I apologize as it's been a few days since I've posted.  I was at a wall, I couldn't figure out how to properly render user input without having flickering issues.  I've broken this wall, and progressed further in the development stages of the client.

The server now supports multiple connections, and the client supports rendering of multiple clients.  I've created the discord: https://discord.gg/PGVZ3tW for anyone who wishes to closely follow my development.

My next steps are going to be to implement an SQL Library to properly store user data, allow for proper registration of accounts and character creation.

And remember, this is a custom client AND server; this will not support EO28 as it currently stands.  If someone could move this to the correct forum, I'd appreciate you.

Estrella posted: (16th Feb 2018, 04:04 am)

Pretty cool. I just realized the shift to run too. I guess this would allow for more sophisticated features like jobs and passive abilities and stuff, basically all the stuff the endless wanted to have. But of course you'd want to finish the base before adding too many extra bells and whistles.

Yes, I have design plans for Jobs, and passive abilities.  But remember, this client is not compatible with EOServ and the server will not support the original EO client.

6 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #204054 Re: jEndlessOnline - The cross-platform Endless Online client&server

I'm looking forward to this project, especially new UI design I always thought that EO's original UI was pretty bulky, especially compared to newer MMOs where menus are opened with macros.

---
- Starley
6 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #204055 Re: jEndlessOnline - The cross-platform Endless Online client&server

Great work man! Been waiting for someone to actually finish something like this. So many people have started but never finished.

Looking pretty cool so far, looks like theres a couple of different features that no one else has done.

---
Why am I still here...
6 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #204056 Re: jEndlessOnline - The cross-platform Endless Online client&server

Instead of making an exact EO clone, why not add some new artwork and just create an inspired game to attract new and old fans alike? Would look better, if you decide to take it that far, on some advertisements and whatnot; considering this is probably the farthest clone in development we have to date. 

6 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #204058 Re: jEndlessOnline - The cross-platform Endless Online client&server
Holystone posted: (18th Feb 2018, 03:55 pm)

Instead of making an exact EO clone, why not add some new artwork and just create an inspired game to attract new and old fans alike? Would look better, if you decide to take it that far, on some advertisements and whatnot; considering this is probably the farthest clone in development we have to date. 

I pretty much agree with this statement. If the client you are building won't support EO28, then trying to build it as a standalone game completely separate from EO is more than likely the better approach to it. Honestly I think there is more value in EO as a tool and building base than trying to recreate it. 
---
Former multi-server mapper.
6 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #204062 Re: jEndlessOnline - The cross-platform Endless Online client&server
Misca posted: (19th Feb 2018, 02:10 am)

Holystone posted: (18th Feb 2018, 03:55 pm)

I pretty much agree with this statement. If the client you are building won't support EO28, then trying to build it as a standalone game completely separate from EO is more than likely the better approach to it. Honestly I think there is more value in EO as a tool and building base than trying to recreate it. 

He said something about maybe collabing with an artist to develop a new game. It would be cool to see a game based off EO like how EO is based off of Dark Ages. 
---
- Starley
6 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #204064 Re: jEndlessOnline - The cross-platform Endless Online client&server

Havent thought about EO in a long time. Woke up with the urge to download the client/serv and plan for a reverse engineer project to make a java based eo inspired rpg. Find this post and immediately feel overjoyed knowing someone else is on it!

6 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #204065 Re: jEndlessOnline - The cross-platform Endless Online client&server
pickupstixx posted: (17th Feb 2018, 04:54 pm)

Great work man! Been waiting for someone to actually finish something like this. So many people have started but never finished.

Looking pretty cool so far, looks like theres a couple of different features that no one else has done.

I would agree with "Furthest", but I can't say that.  Jimmyee's project is much further ahead of development than I am.  I've also restarted the project a handful of times as I learn something new every day I'm working.   Currently, I'm at ground zero.  Some basic packet data is being handled, logins are working according to SQL Data.  Account Creation & Character creation are still unavailable as I've been working out kinks with how I'm handling packets, creating TCP-like functions for the server as I'm basically gonna stick with using UDP.  No graphical content is even in-game anymore.  When I started the project I was making in-game content without even considering the main menu, networking implementation, or even data storing methods(being what we know as pubs, egfs, edfs, etc.)

I've got to points where I can develop much of the in-game content relatively fast, but networking is where I'll be hitting tons of walls, and understanding packets and how they are handled is a big reason of why I've taken interest to a project like this.

Anyone who's curious, I'm using EO's graphics as it's base.  I plan to recreate the base game we all know and love, then expand on it to allow for unfinished features to be implemented, new features, and a complete overhaul on in-game UI.  I don't think I'll use any existing in-game UI elements from EO at all; I would much rather replace it with a newer, more modern UI.

If I really decide to release the completed project; open-source, naturally; I'll leave it as an "EOClone" for those who wish to continue a project based around EO.  But, my real hopes are to build an entire new game off of what we know and love; extending to areas we've never even touched.

I apologize for not posting any screenshots as of late, but you can follow my development on the discord; I believe it's posted in the OP.  If not I'll edit it for you guys.  I'm hoping that soon I'll be able to have a ready-to-go client for testing how the game interacts with the server and start understanding how i could go about methods to account for packet loss/validation while using UDP and not having the risk of the sluggish TCP lag.  For those of you who are wondering why I'm using UDP rather than TCP, it's because I want there to be real-time actions.  I would like to implement things such as raids, or complex bosses that would go through a number of phases and could allow for more action opposed to what we see in EO and having the traditional stand-and-attack seems ridiculous to me when we could have pixel movement, and move hastily around slow, big bosses that require more input than just holding ctrl and spamming health potions.

One of the biggest things I can say I've already implemented to the first attempt at the project was a speed stat..  Theoretically, scaling with your player's agility, your movement speed would increase in very, very small amounts, and attack speed would increase depending on agility, which % amounts would be determined by class.  I had already included a "running" feature, which would decrease SP at alarming rates for you to be able to move faster.  This could allow for things such as SP potions, or an actual need to increase your Charisma stat.

I'll post a screenshot again when I've come to a point of rendering in-game content again.  I (hopefully) plan to code rendering options to allow for software, or hardware rendering.

6 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #204066 Re: jEndlessOnline - The cross-platform Endless Online client&server
Septharoth posted: (22nd Feb 2018, 07:16 pm)

pickupstixx posted: (17th Feb 2018, 04:54 pm)

I would agree with "Furthest", but I can't say that.  Jimmyee's project is much further ahead of development than I am.  I've also restarted the project a handful of times as I learn something new every day I'm working.   Currently, I'm at ground zero.  Some basic packet data is being handled, logins are working according to SQL Data.  Account Creation & Character creation are still unavailable as I've been working out kinks with how I'm handling packets, creating TCP-like functions for the server as I'm basically gonna stick with using UDP.  No graphical content is even in-game anymore.  When I started the project I was making in-game content without even considering the main menu, networking implementation, or even data storing methods(being what we know as pubs, egfs, edfs, etc.)

I've got to points where I can develop much of the in-game content relatively fast, but networking is where I'll be hitting tons of walls, and understanding packets and how they are handled is a big reason of why I've taken interest to a project like this.

Anyone who's curious, I'm using EO's graphics as it's base.  I plan to recreate the base game we all know and love, then expand on it to allow for unfinished features to be implemented, new features, and a complete overhaul on in-game UI.  I don't think I'll use any existing in-game UI elements from EO at all; I would much rather replace it with a newer, more modern UI.

If I really decide to release the completed project; open-source, naturally; I'll leave it as an "EOClone" for those who wish to continue a project based around EO.  But, my real hopes are to build an entire new game off of what we know and love; extending to areas we've never even touched.

I apologize for not posting any screenshots as of late, but you can follow my development on the discord; I believe it's posted in the OP.  If not I'll edit it for you guys.  I'm hoping that soon I'll be able to have a ready-to-go client for testing how the game interacts with the server and start understanding how i could go about methods to account for packet loss/validation while using UDP and not having the risk of the sluggish TCP lag.  For those of you who are wondering why I'm using UDP rather than TCP, it's because I want there to be real-time actions.  I would like to implement things such as raids, or complex bosses that would go through a number of phases and could allow for more action opposed to what we see in EO and having the traditional stand-and-attack seems ridiculous to me when we could have pixel movement, and move hastily around slow, big bosses that require more input than just holding ctrl and spamming health potions.

One of the biggest things I can say I've already implemented to the first attempt at the project was a speed stat..  Theoretically, scaling with your player's agility, your movement speed would increase in very, very small amounts, and attack speed would increase depending on agility, which % amounts would be determined by class.  I had already included a "running" feature, which would decrease SP at alarming rates for you to be able to move faster.  This could allow for things such as SP potions, or an actual need to increase your Charisma stat.

I'll post a screenshot again when I've come to a point of rendering in-game content again.  I (hopefully) plan to code rendering options to allow for software, or hardware rendering.

Please respond to my P.M about working together on 2 projects.  It'd be cool to support even more operating systems.
6 years, 5 weeks ago
Post #204070 Re: jEndlessOnline - The cross-platform Endless Online client&server

discord link expired.

6 years, 5 weeks ago
Page: << 1 2 >>

EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > jEndlessOnline - The cross-platform Endless Online client&server