EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > NPC Pub Editing - Ancient Wraith [Transparency]
Page: << 1 >>
NPC Pub Editing - Ancient Wraith [Transparency]
Post #203911 NPC Pub Editing - Ancient Wraith [Transparency]

Hi guys can anyone tell me why Ancient Wraiths have a transparency and what configuration makes this happen?

I'm trying to add my own NPC and want the same effect. 

---
Endless-Online Version 18
Original Madmat
6 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #203912 Re: NPC Pub Editing - Ancient Wraith [Transparency]

I think it's how they were pixeled. Look at the pixels of the ancient wraith gfx file. You'll see that most of there frames are empty. Just recreate this with your desired NPC. Should do the same thing. 

I could be wrong on this but fairly certain I am not.

6 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #203914 Re: NPC Pub Editing - Ancient Wraith [Transparency]

There's also the aspect that they don't appear on minimap I believe (unless I'm wrong and the minimap was disabled on AW map.)

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
6 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #203916 Re: NPC Pub Editing - Ancient Wraith [Transparency]

I'm pretty sure they're just hardcoded by gfx id in the client. I came across an related npc function section a while ago, that looked like it was comparing npc ids, although I never bothered looking into it further. I'll investigate more at some point. Sorry couldn't be more help currently. :'(

---
EO Resources/Guides: â—„ eobud.boards.net â–º
6 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #203917 Re: NPC Pub Editing - Ancient Wraith [Transparency]
Cirras posted: (28th Nov 2017, 04:14 am)

There's also the aspect that they don't appear on minimap I believe (unless I'm wrong and the minimap was disabled on AW map.)

I didn't know they didn't appear on mini map interesting.
6 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #203918 Re: NPC Pub Editing - Ancient Wraith [Transparency]

The standard Wraiths do not appear on the mini-map due to a missing function call in the program. Cursed Masks and Ancient Wraiths are also transparent and do appear on the mini-map. The transparency is linked to their gfx ID and nothing more just like most of the other hard-coded aspects of EO.

One further note: You do not "pixel" transparency (at least not by modern standards). Transparency effects have been achieved in three ways for video games over the years. #1 Flicker the sprite on and off. This can been seen in many NES games like Super Mario Bros when Mario gets hit and shrinks. #2 Cross-stitch style sprite design. This is ugly but essentially a sprite has every other pixel omitted to appear transparent. Often used for clouds or fog in old games. NES Castlevania III has that effect. Finally #3 Blending progamatically. Nothing is transparent really, but blended programmatically with another layer of graphics to give the effect of transparency. This is by far the best method and the one used in the Endless Client. There is no water-coloring sprite design that saves see-thru bitmaps. Sorry. 

6 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #203932 Re: NPC Pub Editing - Ancient Wraith [Transparency]

Okay thanks for the replies. 

@Shayne that would be awesome!

Apollo is right I don't think you can edit a bmp and make NPCs have transparency. 

Do you guys think it's one of those Unknown Values in the pub files. Obviously server side can't be changed anyways. 

Ah well! 

---
Endless-Online Version 18
Original Madmat
6 years, 21 weeks ago
Post #203934 Re: NPC Pub Editing - Ancient Wraith [Transparency]
madmat posted: (6th Dec 2017, 05:38 am)

Okay thanks for the replies. 

@Shayne that would be awesome!

Apollo is right I don't think you can edit a bmp and make NPCs have transparency. 

Do you guys think it's one of those Unknown Values in the pub files. Obviously server side can't be changed anyways. 

Ah well! 

The pub files aren't related to this effect as far as I'm aware. I believe this to be a hardcoded GFX ID check written into the EO client.
---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
6 years, 21 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > NPC Pub Editing - Ancient Wraith [Transparency]