EOSERV Forum > EO Server Building > need permission for some gfx use
Page: << 1 >>
need permission for some gfx use
Post #203875 need permission for some gfx use

I am using gfx files from land of chaos but I don't know who the owner of the gfx files are. If the owner is reading this please let me know what you think.

6 years, 24 weeks ago
Post #203878 Re: need permission for some gfx use

What any server owner "thinks" of something like that is that you're supposed to get permission *before* you use someone else's work. Otherwise it's just theft.

Most servers use art from several different artists and sources. Your assumption that even the server owner in question can simply give you all of these different permissions is flawed, because you don't even know what kind of relationship the artist and server owner have.

If you want my advice, remove the GFX that isn't yours unless you can find the sources where they came from and whether they are free-to-use. You should never put a game together with other people's work under the assumption that other people are going to just roll over and give you permissions when you decide to ask.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
6 years, 24 weeks ago
Post #203879 Re: need permission for some gfx use

yea when I started using the eo sever it didn't have the pub files an loc was the only game I had. but I should have done more research before just putting those gfx files into the eo server folder and put all this time into what I have made so far. I currently don't have any art that hasn't been used in the eo main game though but darn thanks though

6 years, 24 weeks ago
Post #203880 Re: need permission for some gfx use

Graphics don't make a game. You should start with EO gfx and make a small world with a lot of busy work. Build your ideas around lots of things to do. If you have plenty to do then adding graphics should be only a complement to the game. Did you know when Super Mario Bros was being developed that Mario was a simple rectangle for a long time during development. Anyway, make the game first.

6 years, 24 weeks ago
Post #203881 Re: need permission for some gfx use

Realistically every server out there including all the top ones( with the exception of Apollo? I think he actually had permission) used the EO client without permission and even had the cheek to go a step further to hex the name and pass it on as there own. So I personally wouldn’t say you have to ask permission off a bunch of hypocrites in the first place. 

It’s nice you made the topic though; atleast you had the decency to post before publishing the work. The state of the community these days I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

@any pixels here this might look like a slap in the face, and I understand you work hard on the gfx, but until you publish your own client my statement is solid..

6 years, 24 weeks ago
Post #203891 Re: need permission for some gfx use
callum posted: (18th Nov 2017, 08:50 am)

Realistically every server out there including all the top ones( with the exception of Apollo? I think he actually had permission) used the EO client without permission and even had the cheek to go a step further to hex the name and pass it on as there own. So I personally wouldn’t say you have to ask permission off a bunch of hypocrites in the first place. 

It’s nice you made the topic though; atleast you had the decency to post before publishing the work. The state of the community these days I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

@any pixels here this might look like a slap in the face, and I understand you work hard on the gfx, but until you publish your own client my statement is solid..

Permissions, permissions, permissions. The only successful servers at the moment either have permission to use the graphics or they have replaced 90% of them. I don't see where your point lies? Especially when I seem to recall multiple occasions where you wanted to create a server of your own, using EO's GFX because it ''gave a nostalgic feel''.

Hypocrisy. What a crazy thing.

On Topic:
100% listen to Apollo and create a server using the base GFX first. You're going to need to make the server exciting and gripping to play, even rewarding, before you make it satisfying to look at. Once you're done, start hiring/paying pixel artists or using free releases for new content, or giving your ideas more feel to them.

Permission is good, I like the look of this post, especially now that you've decided not to go with them until you have your permission. You get horrible backlash off of other servers and artists for using their GFX without asking them first.

Speaking from an artist point of view - people stealing our GFX is both flattering and quite annoying. We're glad to see people like the content enough to use it for themselves, but we spent so much time on it to give it to a specific person. For someone to come along and just grab it for themselves is a little lacklustre and unforgiving.

---
"Nurd, you're like a fucking swiss army knife" - Necrosis
6 years, 24 weeks ago
Post #203893 Re: need permission for some gfx use
Nurd posted: (21st Nov 2017, 07:29 pm)

callum posted: (18th Nov 2017, 08:50 am)

Permissions, permissions, permissions. The only successful servers at the moment either have permission to use the graphics or they have replaced 90% of them. I don't see where your point lies? Especially when I seem to recall multiple occasions where you wanted to create a server of your own, using EO's GFX because it ''gave a nostalgic feel''.

Hypocrisy. What a crazy thing.

On Topic:
100% listen to Apollo and create a server using the base GFX first. You're going to need to make the server exciting and gripping to play, even rewarding, before you make it satisfying to look at. Once you're done, start hiring/paying pixel artists or using free releases for new content, or giving your ideas more feel to them.

Permission is good, I like the look of this post, especially now that you've decided not to go with them until you have your permission. You get horrible backlash off of other servers and artists for using their GFX without asking them first.

Speaking from an artist point of view - people stealing our GFX is both flattering and quite annoying. We're glad to see people like the content enough to use it for themselves, but we spent so much time on it to give it to a specific person. For someone to come along and just grab it for themselves is a little lacklustre and unforgiving.

Haven’t actually read all your post but the point I’m making is that the entire client side of servers is made up of stolen work and then branded as their own. There simply is no need to ask permission to use old outdated gfx from servers not around anymore. Unless said art is 100%sourced from a well known artist that’s still active( can’t believe I’m gonna say this, but I think FE does this with megamoogle?) why waste the effort to track down someone who doesn’t care. I’m sure Apollo won’t blacklist you unless it’s a blatant rip off anyway.

I’ve never actually published a client mod with any changes to the name, so you can simmer down already yeah. All servers I had required players to source their own client to play. I wouldn’t try claim something everyone blatantly knows is the endless client. Infact the only situation I’ve dealt within this topic was the bots but I’ve already expressed how much I didn’t care about it all.

6 years, 24 weeks ago
Post #203895 Re: need permission for some gfx use

Everyone using the EO client either modified or not has stolen. Frankly it is shitty to steal custom GFX unless they are released by the artists an there are quite a few that have. Search using google as well. 

Endless is mostly dead. You more then likely won't get much more then a handful of players. Make it fun interesting an pleanty to do. 

6 years, 24 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > EO Server Building > need permission for some gfx use