EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > More then 3 characters
Page: << 1 >>
More then 3 characters
Post #203411 More then 3 characters

I have searched an searched but can't find out if or how to edit the client to allow more then creation of 3 characters, seems Eoserv supports it on the server side but not sure which address on the client handles this. I am new to the client editing so just trying to get a little bit of guidance. I know how to edit it an save it etc. :) 

6 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #203412 Re: More then 3 characters

You would need to have access to the client's code in-order to do this.

The client only supports 3 characters, their isn't any support for more.  Hex editing or memory hacks simply won't yield you the result you're looking for.

In order to do this, you'll need a custom client, at that point you can code the custom client & EOSERV to support as many characters as you want.

If this is possible, you could probably some how do it via some very hacky server-sided code, and player commands. But the result would most likely be a buggy mess. Ex: character create command, character delete command, character login command.  I wouldn't recommend it as it'd be an absolute nightmare to your players.

6 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #203413 Re: More then 3 characters

@Perfect thank you for the reply :) I will ditch this effort then :) I was thinking it would be more then likely a mess even if I could get it to work. Again thank you :)

6 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #203415 Re: More then 3 characters

Might be talking a load of rubbish here so take it with a pinch of salt, but I think the $duty command lets you switch between chars so if you made an extra char on a second account and changed the user to acc1, you should be able duty to it.

I haven't used the duty command though, it was crashing the server last time I did so I'm unsure!

6 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #203416 Re: More then 3 characters

It would be possible to add unlimited characters using a WebCP tie in to select the top 3. Characters are ordered by Exp decending, but it is entirely possible to create a custom order field for account characters to display the player's top 3 pick. Only catch is WebCP isn't in perfect sync with the server. Be careful with this tho cause there are a lot of things that need to be changed to make this work and it could end up being a mess. Custom clients seem the way to go, or be satisfied with the 3 slots you get. 

6 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #203417 Re: More then 3 characters

Yeah as of right now I am going to hold off on this, it would take too long to build a custom client(lolz) an I don't want to make a mess of webcp. I will be statasfied with 3 characters thank you all for the input though.

@Callum I can never get $duty to work right for me anyway but that would defeat the purpose of my idea. Only want 1 account but more then 3 chars. But anyways :) sometimes we don't get what we want lolz :) 

6 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #203420 Re: More then 3 characters
Drewbob posted: (29th Jun 2017, 03:06 pm)

Yeah as of right now I am going to hold off on this, it would take too long to build a custom client(lolz) an I don't want to make a mess of webcp. I will be statasfied with 3 characters thank you all for the input though.

@Callum I can never get $duty to work right for me anyway but that would defeat the purpose of my idea. Only want 1 account but more then 3 chars. But anyways :) sometimes we don't get what we want lolz :) 

You don't have to build a custom client to have this.

You just need your eoserv to support up to 6 clients but only send information about 3 at a time. You also need a way on the client side to tell the server you want the next page. Thirdly you need to figure out if the result will be seamless enough to your liking (eg do you have to go back to the start page and login again to get a new page of characters, or does sending a new login packet a second time just update the page)

Be creative, you can already have the client tell the server which page you want without even modifying it. Some possible ways of achieving that is by typing in a suffix after your account name in the login page, (server removes the suffix, matches account name, then sends you the character page number requested by the suffix), using some custom input password on the character page. (there's a change password button right? You could use that as a tell me which page you want input).

If you know a little bit of client hacking you can make an addon that pops in a custom button on the login page maybe that lets you request the next page. Or perhaps an entire set of buttons that need to be pressed before pressing login to tell the server which character page you want.  (need to create a custom packet here)
---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
6 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #203421 Re: More then 3 characters

@Hacker_Alex okay so would it be feasible to just make it so when the client presses "Change password" it just sends a packet to the server to show the secondary characters? an when you hit it again it shows the default characters. Instead of opening 6 different client windows etc? I am very new to client hexediting I am not even sure how to find the right hexes etc.  

6 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #203422 Re: More then 3 characters

no clue you need to try it yourself, can you code some basic c++ to get this working? Im thinking the client doesnt send any data until you provide the password you want to reset to right?

---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
6 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #203424 Re: More then 3 characters

Couldnt you have the characters as a list and use a timer event to cycle through the characters rather than displaying them from best exp? just have it change every 10 seconds or so in order to make the characters cycle through. put it on a loop as well so you don't reach the end of the list and have to log out and back in to see them again.

6 years, 42 weeks ago
Post #203425 Re: More then 3 characters

Only one packet happens when loading the character selection menu. There isn't really a good way to do this outside of making a new client. 

6 years, 42 weeks ago
Post #203427 Re: More then 3 characters

Off the cuff idea...not been able to test this yet. Maybe someone will have a better idea. 

Why couldn't we allow the client to make more then 3 characrers...but not display it..then make a custom command in eoserv to allow switching of characters? 

Something like. 

You login on one of your default view characters. Then you type #switch (character name) then the server sends a new batch of character info the client will then draw it etc. I can foresee some issues with this idea but just a off the cuff idea 

EDIT

I am able to allow my client to make 6 characters, Looking to see if I am able to make a command that will allow me to switch characters while I am logged in

6 years, 42 weeks ago
Post #203428 Re: More then 3 characters
Drewbob posted: (30th Jun 2017, 06:59 pm)

I am able to allow my client to make 6 characters, Looking to see if I am able to make a command that will allow me to switch characters while I am logged in

Simply resend the PACKET_WELCOME,PACKET_REPLY with the new player details (as the duty command does in /commands/admin.cpp). This will, however, cause problems with your friend/ignore list unless you implement it correctly (iirc EOServ does not use the server side friend/ignore list packet)

---
http://sordie.co.uk
http://twitter.com/@SordieEO
6 years, 42 weeks ago
Post #203429 Re: More then 3 characters
Sordie posted: (1st Jul 2017, 12:30 pm)

Simply resend the PACKET_WELCOME,PACKET_REPLY with the new player details (as the duty command does in /commands/admin.cpp). This will, however, cause problems with your friend/ignore list unless you implement it correctly (iirc EOServ does not use the server side friend/ignore list packet)

Thanks Sordie :) 

will these packets also check to make sure someone isn't trying to grab a character that isn't there's?

6 years, 42 weeks ago
Post #203430 Re: More then 3 characters
Drewbob posted: (1st Jul 2017, 12:37 pm)

Sordie posted: (1st Jul 2017, 12:30 pm)

Thanks Sordie :) 

will these packets also check to make sure someone isn't trying to grab a character that isn't there's?

That would be the responsibility of whatever command you code to allow users to switch characters. 

---
http://sordie.co.uk
http://twitter.com/@SordieEO
6 years, 42 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > More then 3 characters