EOSERV Forum > Game Development > Windows & Linux
Page: << 1 >>
Windows & Linux
Post #202822 Windows & Linux

I know this is such a hot topic and there's constantly people advising others to switch to Linux systems for hosting. Just wanted a topic where everyone could give their opinion on the topic.I'll go first..

I'm still awfully naive when it comes to computers as I'm generally not using them for much more out of EO/Minecraft, but I've been using a small Linux VPS mainly because of people (mostly in the community here) telling me it's better. Though I'm starting to familiarise myself with the unix command line, I'm starting to think about switching to a Windows based system mainly cause I'd like to have my desktop back lmao. My hosting company has also just released a new line of servers which are pretty good for the price.

I don't want this to be massive so I'll clear it up. The only thing holding me back really is I keep getting told Linux systems are more efficient at running processes. But with the new servers having such good specs I don't think It'd matter since they'll only be running small programs?

tl;dr I'm thinking about switching to windows cause It's easier to use.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202824 Re: Windows & Linux

I've swapped between the two numerous times and I've always had issues arise when using Linux, it's also a lot more tedious to use Linux than it is with Windows. I'm sticking with a Windows VPS (Currently through Virmach, which is very organized).

Personal opinion: Go with a Windows VPS. Typically more organized, easier to use, and it's only a small process being run.

7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202828 Re: Windows & Linux

If you want to switch to windows JUST because you want a desktop. Well you CAN have a desktop on a linux server too. In linux the GUIs are just packages you can install into the operating system. What flavour of linux are you using? I can help you research which GUI to install for it.

Never used a windows VPS but linux is pretty good too. Definitely low on memory. My linux VPS that runs without the GUI uses like 40-50MB of memory, it's great. Are you sure that minecraft doesnt need the RAM?

---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202830 Re: Windows & Linux

I've seen a lot of videos where Linux users have had desktops but still needed the terminal for most things.. I've recently started learning a little php which was simple to use commands on Linux, I'm just wondering if it's as easy on windows.

As for the ram, I didn't think windows used that much does it? My vps company's just released a new line of servers with beef'd up specs for the same prices tho so that's alright.

7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202831 Re: Windows & Linux

I assume we're talking about VPS's as opposed to a home desktop.

When I began with Linux on my VPS I had installed a Linux GUI, I was the same way regarding having no desktop. I could do pretty much everything VIA the GUI such as package management, updates, etc.

After a while I decided to reinstall everything and just use the terminal. A few years later and I feel like I've adapted very well, all I use is the terminal and ftp for files now.

I'd say no matter how much you feel like wanting that desktop back stick with the terminal.  Knowing multiple languages benefit you better then knowing one.

On another note, the GUI/desktop uses up system resources that would be better spent serving a webpage to a user.

Speaking of these packages your provider released, it would happen to have been Linode correct? They did just release cheap packages starting at $5 + tax / monthly. Really good deal.

7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202833 Re: Windows & Linux
perfect posted: (11th Mar 2017, 06:56 am)

When I began with Linux on my VPS I had installed a Linux GUI, I was the same way regarding having no desktop. I could do pretty much everything VIA the GUI such as package management, updates, etc.

After a while I decided to reinstall everything and just use the terminal. A few years later and I feel like I've adapted very well, all I use is the terminal and ftp for files now.

I'd say no matter how much you feel like wanting that desktop back stick with the terminal.  Knowing multiple languages benefit you better then knowing one.

On another note, the GUI/desktop uses up system resources that would be better spent serving a webpage to a user.

Speaking of these packages your provider released, it would happen to have been Linode correct? They did just release cheap packages starting at $5 + tax / monthly. Really good deal.

Yeah I can see what you mean, I'm pretty quick with a terminal now but I just feel it's making more effort for myself since for the eo stuff I have to upload the source using ftp, switch to terminal, compile then move eoserv & set permissions, where as it'd just be a drag & drop process on windows.

Nah I'm not on linode but them servers look pretty good at first glance. I think I'm just going to get the Windows one and just run both for a little see if my laziness is gonna pay off. Guarantee once I make the switch to Windows I'll do something and need/want to switch back.

7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202834 Re: Windows & Linux
callum posted: (11th Mar 2017, 02:49 pm)

perfect posted: (11th Mar 2017, 06:56 am)

Yeah I can see what you mean, I'm pretty quick with a terminal now but I just feel it's making more effort for myself since for the eo stuff I have to upload the source using ftp, switch to terminal, compile then move eoserv & set permissions, where as it'd just be a drag & drop process on windows.

Why aren't you compiling on your host computer then and just uploading a fresh copy?

Meh, my linux setup is really great, every time I change my source I just push it to my git, and my git automatically compiles and deploys the server live. You should learn more about linux software deployment tools and figure out a system where you can by script just bam push your server live any time you've changed something in your source.
---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #205157 Re: Windows & Linux

Another thing to mention is Windows licenses are expensive so most hosts have to pay for those somehow usually by jacking the price. Also windows seems to use around 500 MB of ram. If you want to spend as little as possible on your infrastructure, use small cloud instances running Linux for your tasks and have your infrastructure be represented by code [IaC]. (don't do any manual setup / file transfer)

---
I not hacker

3 years, 19 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > Game Development > Windows & Linux