EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > Custom Text Fields/Borders (Mod/Guide)
Page: << 1 >>
Custom Text Fields/Borders (Mod/Guide)
Post #202629 Custom Text Fields/Borders (Mod/Guide)

I figured I should release the Text Field Border hack, so others don't have to continue being limited to ugly borders/text fields, due to lazy Vult..
This is one cosmetic aspect within the client, that always bothered the hell out of me.. It just looks UGLY and WEIRD.

This is basically a combination of hacks, with a few limitations/issues.
-The first limitation is that the 'account creation menu text fields' will have no borders.
(Still looks much better than with the messed default borders..)

-The second limitation is the first hack causes borders to be drawn around the report box text (edit) fields (Help Menu - Report Player Link).
It's not yet known if it's possible to remove the borders completely.. I'll have mess around more later on!

-The third limitation/issue is that the 2nd text field shows outside of the 2nd border. This one can be bypassed at least though!
The 2nd report box is positioned 1 pixel too low and must have the y position set for the default display, and for when moving the menu.
(You could imagine how ugly it would look with the text field 1 pixel above the border top.)

Custom Text Fields/Borders Modification Guide
Before you do anything, make a backup of your eo executable!.. (If you do something wrong, you can easily mess up the client.)

After you make a backup, you will need to download OllyDbg if you don't already have it. Official site: http://www.ollydbg.de/
NOTE: You'll need an unpacked eo executable! I don't have a personal link up at the moment, so you'll have to find it from somewhere else for now.

-Start by opening OlldyDbg.
-Click the folder icon, then select the EO executable you want to modify. (Or you can click the File tab>Open if you want to make things more difficult D;)

We'll start with the first hack to remove the inner and outer text field borders, so we end up with plain, rounded text fields.
Remove Text Field Borders Address: 004468FA
-Press 'ctrl+g' keys and type the address above, then select 'ok'.
-Right click the highlighted address (004468Fa) and select 'Binary', then select 'Fill With NOPs'
[First mod done]

Next we need to re-position the second borders 'Default Y' position, one pixel up. Without this, the text field would show 1 pixel above the border.

Fix 2nd Report Box Text Field Border 'Default Y Position' Address: 00490EC9
-Right click the highlighted address (00490EC9) and select 'Binary', then select 'Edit'
-Replace the byte (83 C2 5D) with (83 C2 5C) and select 'ok
[Second mod done]

Then we need to re-position the second borders 'Moved Y' position, one pixel up. Without this, the text field would glitch above the border after moving the menu.
Fix 2nd Report Box Text Field Border 'Moved Y Position' Address: 0049201D
-Right click the highlighted address (0049201D) and select 'Binary', then select 'Edit'
-Replace the byte (83 C2 5D) with (83 C2 5C) and select 'ok
[Third mod done]

Now to change the text field background color!
Background Text Field Color Address: 00443EBD
-Right click the highlighted address (00443EBD) and select 'Binary', then select 'Edit'
-Now you'll want to find your custom html color for your text fields. I suggest using http://www.colorpicker.com to find it.
-The default text field hex color will be A5 82 69, simply replace it with your custom hex color, then select 'ok'.
[Fourth mod done]

Now you're going to need to copy all memory to the executable and save it.
-Right click anywhere in the disassembler, then select 'Copy' then 'Select all'
-Right Click in the disassembler again, then select 'Copy to Executable' then 'Selection'
-A New menu will now pop up. Right click it, then select 'Save file' and name the file something different than your backup file..
[Now everything is copied and saved!]

So this is what we've done so far..
-Removed inner and outer Text Field Borders for 'login text fields', and 'account creation text fields'. (Made rounded text/edit fields)
-Re-positioned the second 'Default text field border' one pixel up, so it can be nicely and properly aligned with the text field.
-Re-positioned the second 'moved text field border' one pixel up, to prevent it from showing above the border, when moving the menu.
-Changed the username, password, and account creation text fields background color.

*The last thing you'll want to do, is prettify your text fields. (The Login Menu image (gfx1 - bmp102), and the Report Menu image (gfx2 - bmp157).

-You'll need to pixel the new borders for (gfx1 - bmp 102), and align them with the clients hardcoded text fields.
-You'll also need to pixel the new text fields for (gfx2 - bmp 157), and align them with the hacked report box text field borders.
You'll have to align your text fields/borders, like the images below. These are just basic examples, to help make things easier for everyone.                                                       
(gfx1 - bmp157)

(gfx2 - bmp157)

Here's basic examples of how the 3 effected Text Field areas can look in the end, compared to the ugly, lazy, Vult way.. xD

Endless Login Menu

Custom EO Login Menu

Endless Account Creation Menu

Custom Account Creation Menu

Custom Report Menu Glitched (From first hack)

Custom Report Menu Fixed (From second/third hacks)

It's pretty straight forward to follow this guide, but If anyone has troubles with this, feel free to ask for help. Enjoy!

---
EO Resources/Guides: â—„ eobud.boards.net â–º
7 years, 8 weeks ago
Post #202630 Re: Text Field/Borders (Mod/Fix)

Very very nice find and very useful information; I always wanted to do this, but never knew it was possible or knew how to do it.

7 years, 8 weeks ago
Post #202633 Re: Text Field/Borders (Mod/Fix)

Thank you for sharing! This indeed allows you to create custom and clean input fields!

Unfortunately I am having problems with the report input fields still showing the border after doing the first two hacks.

I attempted to do the first two hacks 3 different times to make sure I wasn't doing something incorrect, but I keep coming up with the same result. (I even did all 3 hacks, but the last hack should be irrelevant)

Here is what it looks like after the first hack (I assume it's expected though):

Here is what it looks like after the second hack:

During gameplay, when switching between the inputs, it will re-position the borders correctly, but the borders still aren't invisible:

---

Also I am new to memory editing, do you know of any guides I can read to do some more neat Endless Online hacks? The limitations of a closed-source client is really rough for our overall project, so any hacks to get around it would be great. Is there also a new location for your "http://eoguide.boards.net/" site? Thank you!

---
Just your friendly neighborhood Programmer-Man!
7 years, 8 weeks ago
Post #202635 Re: Text Field/Borders (Mod/Fix)

Colby- This is something I always wanted to fix to, I didn't know if it was possible either till recently. It did turn out being very hard to find though. =d

Shilo- No worries, I'm glad to help others fix an eye sore in the client.
As mentioned in the guide, you must use an unpacked EO executable to make these changes properly/without issues.
That report box border glitch you're talking about, will happen if you modify a packed client with these border modifications.
Try it with an unpacked client, and everything should look fine.

As for guides, and considering specifically for EO, I'm not really too sure off the top of my head.
Everything I have learned is basically from trial and error and messing with cheat engine/ollydbg, and learning new tricks to help along the way.
The only time I ever really looked up guides for debugging, was when I didn't know how to find multi level pointers when I first started out.

Honestly, you won't really find many guides to help you actually learn your way around modifying the eo client.
Although there is definitely guides for the very basics to get you started.
It's sort of something you need to learn on your own. It's basically a lot of logical thinking, and trial and error.
I'll likely post some guides in the future, but I'm busy with other things currently, so it will have to wait a bit.

The limitations are definitely an annoyance, and this is a good skill to pick up if your a serious server developer.
I'm telling you right now though, modifications like this specific one, are very challenging to find. (For me at least..)
When you get into more complex things like these cosmetic hacks, it gets very tricky to find the related functions/addresses.
All I'm saying is that a lot of logic, and specifically guess work, is involved. (Not trying to turn you off this, just telling you what to expect.)

I'll be putting eoguide back up soon, I've just been too lazy to fix the downloads section, which is why it's down. 
(Because x10hosting is crap, so I need better hosting, and to re-upload all my files.

---
7 years, 8 weeks ago
Post #202636 Re: Text Field/Borders (Mod/Fix)

Very informative post. It doesn't turn me off, but it definitely seems to have a huge learning curve.

I am using an unpacked/decompressed executable. In fact, if I try the compressed original client executable, it doesn't let me copy the memory selection to the executable:

So I seem to definitely have an unpacked executable, since I am able to save it correctly. It even works with "Resource Hacker".

I also tried hacking the MULTICLIENT.exe executable AND the Fallen Evolution executable (which I assume both are also an unpacked executable since I can edit them with "Resource Hacker" and the file sizes are the same). I got the same results though, with the report input boxes borders still showing and in the wrong position.

I don't know how decompressing/compressing unpacking/packing executables work though, so could it be possible that MULTICLIENT.exe, Fallen Evolution executable, and the current executable I am using, isn't "fully" unpacked or something? I don't think that would be the case, but I can't think of any other situation (other then then the second hack being incorrect).

---
Just your friendly neighborhood Programmer-Man!
7 years, 8 weeks ago
Post #202637 Re: Text Field/Borders (Mod/Fix)

Well first of all, I made a big mistake in the guide with step two which is the problem here. Sorry =/
I updated the first post, hopefully 100% correctly this time, although I am tired and don't have time to bother with it more till later..

I forgot the issue was that you need to move the second border up, so you can fit the second text field inside the borders properly.
I didn't mean that you could remove the borders completely for the report menu text fields by the way.
In fact I'm not sure if you can since the first/main border hack made the client draw borders it isn't suppose to.
I could definitely be wrong though, it may be possible to remove. I'll look into it more at some point later on.

Just follow the updated guide and you should be good. Sorry for the mess up. Let me know if you have anymore troubles.

---
7 years, 8 weeks ago
Post #202638 Re: Text Field/Borders (Mod/Fix)

Very nice post. After all this time..

---
Why am I still here...
7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202640 Re: Custom Text Fields/Borders (Mod/Guide)
pickupstixx posted: (4th Mar 2017, 02:55 am)

Very nice post. After all this time..

Thanks. Yea I know, I think everyone suffered long enough with these ugly fields/borders. =d

I updated and fixed up the original post, and added an additional modification needed to fully fix the second report box field border.
After some tinkering, I realized moving the report menu causes the second fields border to draw to the default y position again (93)
I found the other address needed to fix the border alignment when moving the report menu luckily, so you'll have to add the additional modification.
---
7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202650 Re: Custom Text Fields/Borders (Mod/Guide)

I dont see the ugliness. All you have done is removed the 3D-ness from the fields and added windows 8 + metro style flat fields! Bleh!

---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202655 Re: Custom Text Fields/Borders (Mod/Guide)
Hacker_Alex posted: (5th Mar 2017, 12:08 am)

I dont see the ugliness. All you have done is removed the 3D-ness from the fields and added windows 8 + metro style flat fields! Bleh!

Well now you can edit the graphics to create your own border around a single color block
---
Andrewbob - I would be on the fucking copter of rofls

Programmer, Web Developer, and Graphics Designer
7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202659 Re: Custom Text Fields/Borders (Mod/Guide)

Hacker_Alex

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. xD BUT..

The ugliness is the inner and outer borders around the text fields, that don't even properly connect.
On top of that, you're limited to the same black border color, and worst of all, a completely stupid looking inner border.

All you need to do to understand, is to look at the first two example images in the OP, and realize how retarded disconnected borders look, compared to connected. :(

---
7 years, 7 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > Custom Text Fields/Borders (Mod/Guide)