EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Normal "say" chat map-wide instead of range-wide?
Page: << 1 2 >>
Normal "say" chat map-wide instead of range-wide?
Post #202704 Re: Normal "say" chat map-wide instead of range-wide?
Shilo posted: (6th Mar 2017, 06:30 am)

@Cirras

Good suggestion. I usually use switch statements, but my initial plan was to only have 3 values, not 9. So I opted to use an if statement. I updated the post with the switch statement.

@Hacker_Alex

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring your comment. I read your comment, but I'm not sure what exactly you are talking about. I assume I tried what you are speaking of, and tested every possible solution I could think of.

I believe between 10 and 11 tiles is when a character becomes off of the screen/viewport. So I assume the client automatically clears the characters from the map when they are 1 or 2+ tiles further then the viewport (12 tiles away from the center of the screen).

Look we can only physically see a graphical character up to 9 tiles away ( count the gold yourself )

That leaves 1-2 tiles where characters are still in the client memory that are off-screen. You can pick any off screen tile that exists [ the red x's refer to minimap locations and are just a rough example ] to tell the client that there is someone, or some people there. As soon as someone moves, they receive new information that these piles of people are at a new offset (So all they see is an artifact on their minimap that isnt ever reachable as it moves with them). (I wonder if making a transparent skin is possible, and sending information that the characters on those tiles are using the transparent skin so if anyone decides to unplug their internet cable and walk towards the pile of people, they wont see anything except a name if they the mouse over)

Then of course when the actual location of one of the people comes into range you need to load them into the persons client naturally, and not at the offset.
---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
7 years, 4 weeks ago
Post #202711 Re: Normal "say" chat map-wide instead of range-wide?
Hacker_Alex posted: (6th Mar 2017, 07:21 pm)

Shilo posted: (6th Mar 2017, 06:30 am)

@Cirras

Good suggestion. I usually use switch statements, but my initial plan was to only have 3 values, not 9. So I opted to use an if statement. I updated the post with the switch statement.

@Hacker_Alex

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring your comment. I read your comment, but I'm not sure what exactly you are talking about. I assume I tried what you are speaking of, and tested every possible solution I could think of.

I believe between 10 and 11 tiles is when a character becomes off of the screen/viewport. So I assume the client automatically clears the characters from the map when they are 1 or 2+ tiles further then the viewport (12 tiles away from the center of the screen).

Look we can only physically see a graphical character up to 9 tiles away ( count the gold yourself )

That leaves 1-2 tiles where characters are still in the client memory that are off-screen. You can pick any off screen tile that exists [ the red x's refer to minimap locations and are just a rough example ] to tell the client that there is someone, or some people there. As soon as someone moves, they receive new information that these piles of people are at a new offset (So all they see is an artifact on their minimap that isnt ever reachable as it moves with them). (I wonder if making a transparent skin is possible, and sending information that the characters on those tiles are using the transparent skin so if anyone decides to unplug their internet cable and walk towards the pile of people, they wont see anything except a name if they the mouse over)

Then of course when the actual location of one of the people comes into range you need to load them into the persons client naturally, and not at the offset.

http://www.endless-online.com/support-range.html Says there that the server sent data within 11 tiles of the character. think it had 2 tiles extra to account for lagg etc.

I'd imagine the client just forgets about anything when it's over 11 tiles away.

7 years, 4 weeks ago
Page: << 1 2 >>

EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Normal "say" chat map-wide instead of range-wide?