EOSERV Forum > Game Development > Browser based endless online?
Page: << 1 2 >>
Browser based endless online?
Post #201284 Browser based endless online?

Hey all, I am currently in school for web development and i'm an intern at a corporate web developing company. I am getting better at using javascript but I am still fairly new to it. I've seen some examples online of people making sprite-based games using javascript's web-GL. Just wondering if you guys think it could be done? As far as the server goes, I could use web sockets. This is just an idea, haven't looked too much into if but if you can make good games like this, then I could think that you could probably make EO a browser-based game. What do you guys think?

7 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #201286 Re: Browser based endless online?

it can definitely be done. look at aphelion.

---
7 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #201287 Re: Browser based endless online?

Blo has a prototype EO client using Javascript.

The only unique problem with it is you can't connect to anything other than websocket services, meaning you'd have to, at the minimum, write/run a websocket proxy to allow it to connect to EOSERV, as well as modify EOSERV itself if you wanted to be able to pass IP addresses through.

7 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #201288 Re: Browser based endless online?
Sausage posted: (5th Nov 2016, 07:01 pm)

The only unique problem with it is you can't connect to anything other than websocket services, meaning you'd have to, at the minimum, write/run a websocket proxy to allow it to connect to EOSERV, as well as modify EOSERV itself if you wanted to be able to pass IP addresses through.

Hm..  theoretically couldn't I just rebuild the server in a websocket server? 
7 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #201292 Re: Browser based endless online?

Sure, but at that point you're writing both an EO client and server from scratch and may as well do something that isn't EO.

7 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #201337 Re: Browser based endless online?

Why don't you use HTML5 with javascript and such? Here's an HTML5 mmo game in the development.. https://www.sandboxd.com/games/159

Honestly got no clue how html5 makes rich games like that but oh well. Looks good so far.

---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
7 years, 24 weeks ago
Post #201351 Re: Browser based endless online?

sausage is right.... IF your going to bother with doing all that why even stay with a eo based games. you can make a similar game and make some real money with it if you base it to android devices too

7 years, 24 weeks ago
Post #201728 Re: Browser based endless online?
Sausage posted: (5th Nov 2016, 07:01 pm)

Hey, I can't seem to find his client. Could you link me? I have been working on websockets for a little bit and I think it'd be a fun project to try and get working.
7 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #202012 Re: Browser based endless online?

Honestly HaxeFlixel has so many tools to make simple games:
http://haxeflixel.com/documentation/tutorial/

Shouldn't be hard to make a browser based EO using that

---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
7 years, 16 weeks ago
Post #202079 Re: Browser based endless online?

Didn't somebody create a Browser-Based EO Client that only ran and functioned as an Arena, about 4 years ago on Rakuhana?

7 years, 16 weeks ago
Post #202081 Re: Browser based endless online?
damis posted: (7th Jan 2017, 03:38 am)

Didn't somebody create a Browser-Based EO Client that only ran and functioned as an Arena, about 4 years ago on Rakuhana?

That's correct.  I believe it was sold to someone else, who is on EOSERV.net.  I can't remember who said they had it, if you do a little digging through old posts you could probably pull up a name.  As far as I know it ran on it's own separate server though.

EDIT:
Post #117657 Re: Endless Client attempt.

The small arena game I made a long time ago wasn't an EO server. It was just, as someone mentioned, a small area game using a flash client.

With HTML5 technologies though, you wouldn't need flash to make a game client like this. You could use the canvas element and WebSocket API that modern browsers support. I'm assuming you're not reallyplanning on making these into functional clients, though. If you were, you could use nodejs in conjunction with socket.io to have a seamless way to fall back to flash sockets if the WebSocket API isn't available(the other transports like XHR wouldn't be fast enough for a real-time game).

It's possible though. I started working on an HTML5 game engine a while ago. I'm too busy working on other projects to continue it now, but in the future I would like to for fun. You can check it out hereif you like: http://dev.rakuhana.org/CANVAS/wut/pc.php There was support for basic networking, but I disabled it now because the server isn't running. You can walk around and spawn monsters with the button. Exciting. It's more of an interesting hack together and proof of concept morethan a game engine at that point. It's still pretty cool to see that stuff done with native modern web technologies, I think.

https://eoserv.net/forum/topic/17614?p=2
7 years, 16 weeks ago
Post #202154 Re: Browser based endless online?
perfect posted: (7th Jan 2017, 04:44 am)

That's correct.  I believe it was sold to someone else, who is on EOSERV.net.  I can't remember who said they had it, if you do a little digging through old posts you could probably pull up a name.  As far as I know it ran on it's own separate server though.

EDIT:

The small arena game I made a long time ago wasn't an EO server. It was just, as someone mentioned, a small area game using a flash client.

With HTML5 technologies though, you wouldn't need flash to make a game client like this. You could use the canvas element and WebSocket API that modern browsers support. I'm assuming you're not reallyplanning on making these into functional clients, though. If you were, you could use nodejs in conjunction with socket.io to have a seamless way to fall back to flash sockets if the WebSocket API isn't available(the other transports like XHR wouldn't be fast enough for a real-time game).

It's possible though. I started working on an HTML5 game engine a while ago. I'm too busy working on other projects to continue it now, but in the future I would like to for fun. You can check it out hereif you like: http://dev.rakuhana.org/CANVAS/wut/pc.php There was support for basic networking, but I disabled it now because the server isn't running. You can walk around and spawn monsters with the button. Exciting. It's more of an interesting hack together and proof of concept morethan a game engine at that point. It's still pretty cool to see that stuff done with native modern web technologies, I think.

That's awesome! I literally had the same idea with coding the back-end in node-js with socket.io... and doing the front end in js. I was looking around the thread and googled some stuff but I either can't find any links or the links that I found were broken. I'd really like to get those files and start working on more implementation on the back-end. Maybe even turning this into one of my school projects. Any help would be appreciated! 
7 years, 14 weeks ago
Post #202155 Re: Browser based endless online?
AcidBurn posted: (18th Jan 2017, 05:15 am)

perfect posted: (7th Jan 2017, 04:44 am)

EDIT:

That's awesome! I literally had the same idea with coding the back-end in node-js with socket.io... and doing the front end in js. I was looking around the thread and googled some stuff but I either can't find any links or the links that I found were broken. I'd really like to get those files and start working on more implementation on the back-end. Maybe even turning this into one of my school projects. Any help would be appreciated! 

I think other people have asked for the project too, I don't think anyone was given it.

You'd be better off to create your own project with the same style; instead of tracking down whoever currently owns it.
7 years, 14 weeks ago
Post #202156 Re: Browser based endless online?

if you want a link to my awful javascript based client xD you can have it here http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=89135853926793576752

the one from this post at least https://eoserv.net/forum/topic/17614?p=2

---
If money doesn't grow on trees, then why do banks have branches?
7 years, 14 weeks ago
Post #202157 Re: Browser based endless online?

Heres something I started that had very basic rendering of graphics but it doesn't use any standards set by the eo client. The last post link is the most up to date.

https://eoserv.net/forum/topic/23539

---
Andrewbob - I would be on the fucking copter of rofls

Programmer, Web Developer, and Graphics Designer
7 years, 14 weeks ago
Page: << 1 2 >>

EOSERV Forum > Game Development > Browser based endless online?