EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > A question about SFX replacement
Page: << 1 >>
A question about SFX replacement
Post #200711 A question about SFX replacement

i just typed this whole thread up but i titled it [question] SFX replacement and it wouldn't let me post without an alphanumeric character as the first letter so here's the lazy version

I tried deleting all the SFX files in my EO folder except for the PM sound. Client wouldn't run, says it requires all of the SFX files in there. Can I find blank SFX file replacements anywhere, or like ones that have 2 seconds of silence? i tried googling it and found nothing, granted I only looked for maybe 45 seconds.

any help would be appreciated

---
Tire me.
7 years, 37 weeks ago
Post #200712 Re: A question about SFX replacement

Try making a blank file with a .wav attachment? And of course name them correctly so the client reads them.

7 years, 37 weeks ago
Post #200713 Re: A question about SFX replacement
You can download Audacity and easily make a silent sound file.
-Once Audacity is open, open an sfx file from within Audacity that you want to modify.
-Select the entire area of the "sound grid".
-Click the Generate tab at the top of the audacity menu/toolbar.
-Select Silence, then click ok, and done.
-You can easily make the sound longer or shorter if you want.

Judging by what you said initially, you're probably too lazy though. xD
So... I uploaded a silenced wave file for you. :P (about 2 seconds of silence)
Silent Wave

---
EO Resources/Guides: â—„ eobud.boards.net â–º
7 years, 37 weeks ago
Post #200714 Re: A question about SFX replacement

Thank you i will try it out when i get home and let you know how it works. Simple enough, though.

Edit: worked! Thank you. made my own files since trust issues but rly i do appreciate it

---
Tire me.
7 years, 37 weeks ago
Post #200715 Re: A question about SFX replacement

No problem, and that's why I showed you how to do it yourself.
By the way, as far as I'm aware, I think it wouldn't be possible to put a virus in a WAVE file format? xD
Especially considering the size of the file I uploaded.

Either way, I really don't blame you for being careful with downloading files from the internet.

---
7 years, 37 weeks ago
Post #200716 Re: A question about SFX replacement
shayne posted: (14th Aug 2016, 05:43 am)

By the way, as far as I'm aware, I think it wouldn't be possible to put a virus in a WAVE file format? xD

Either way, I really don't blame you for being careful with downloading files from the internet.

Incorrect. Nothing is impossible :)
---
CN:BH 4 lyfe
7 years, 37 weeks ago
Post #200717 Re: A question about SFX replacement
jimmy posted: (14th Aug 2016, 05:53 pm)

Well, "I think it wouldn't be possible" might not have been the right choice of words, but it would be extremely unlikely. I've never heard of that happening to anyone through a wave file, or mp3 file extension. Have you? xD You can't execute malacious code through running just a wave file extension as far as I'm aware. I've heard that there is bugs in certain software that play wave/mp3 files/images/and other file extensions, which could allow execution of malacious code, but again, that is very unlikely unless you download some shitty or "lazy" software that is vulnerable to such exploits.

As I understand it, to get a virus, you have to run an executable. The malacious code must executed.
(Or use exploitable/bugged software, which allows you to execute the code through that executable, not the file extension its self)

I'm sure it's possible to put malcious code in a different type of file/extension, but that alone will not infect you. You must have some kind of third party software that is vulnerable to such exploits, and will allow execution of that malacious code.

^What I stated above is speculation/logic, so I'm not saying that's true, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
I'd love to hear/learn more about it though, just out of interest. :)

Anyways... I blabbed enough.. xd

---
7 years, 37 weeks ago
Post #200718 Re: A question about SFX replacement
shayne posted: (15th Aug 2016, 02:53 am)

Well, "I think it wouldn't be possible" might not have been the right choice of words, but it would be extremely unlikely. I've never heard of that happening to anyone through a wave file, or mp3 file extension. Have you? xD You can't execute malacious code through running just a wave file extension as far as I'm aware. I've heard that there is bugs in certain software that play wave/mp3 files/images/and other file extensions, which could allow execution of malacious code, but again, that is very unlikely unless you download some shitty or "lazy" software that is vulnerable to such exploits.

As I understand it, to get a virus, you have to run an executable. The malacious code must executed.
(Or use exploitable/bugged software, which allows you to execute the code through that executable, not the file extension its self)

I'm sure it's possible to put malcious code in a different type of file/extension, but that alone will not infect you. You must have some kind of third party software that is vulnerable to such exploits, and will allow execution of that malacious code.

^What I stated above is speculation/logic, so I'm not saying that's true, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

This is getting a little of topic, however...

Yes it is possible to infect a computer with malicious software using media files and you guessed it, it's Microsofts own file format and player that can be exploited. You're pretty save with wav files, depending on how dumb your media player is =P

.wma and .wmv files can specify they need a 3rd party codec to play. Then good old Windows Media Player, when badly setup (probably been fixed in newer versions of Windows), will blindly download any binary from a URL the .wma/.wmv specifies and execute it.

EDIT: I checked. It's still exploitable, but you'd have to have a deliberately bad setup for it to even be possible. 

---
http://sordie.co.uk
http://twitter.com/@SordieEO
7 years, 37 weeks ago
Post #200719 Re: A question about SFX replacement
Sordie posted: (15th Aug 2016, 05:19 pm)

shayne posted: (15th Aug 2016, 02:53 am)

This is getting a little of topic, however...

Yes it is possible to infect a computer with malicious software using media files and you guessed it, it's Microsofts own file format and player that can be exploited. You're pretty save with wav files, depending on how dumb your media player is =P

.wma and .wmv files can specify they need a 3rd party codec to play. Then good old Windows Media Player, when badly setup (probably been fixed in newer versions of Windows), will blindly download any binary from a URL the .wma/.wmv specifies and execute it.

EDIT: I checked. It's still exploitable, but you'd have to have a deliberately bad setup for it to even be possible. 

Yea, a little off topic, but still semi related. =d At least the initial question was answered though.

Thanks for clarification about all that though. I really wasn't sure at all if that's exactly how it worked. So it's good to know, for the sake of knowing.
I assumed it would be very hard to be infected that way unless under perfect condiions pretty much (like you mentioned) and exploitable through old, third party software.
---
7 years, 37 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > A question about SFX replacement