Page: << 1 >>
Server Idea
Post #200579 Server Idea

So this idea popped up in my head today and it seemed like a really cool idea and theres a couple ways it could go.

Basically, it would be a heavily modified server with mostly the basic features emulated. And currently, this idea would work really well as a single player dungeon crawler.

The server creates a separate game file for each player/character and instead of storing the player and character data, it also stores game data, and also has a seperate game state for each player to send to that specific client. As well as that, you could create prebuilt data files (maps/pubs) or randomly generated (that would get more complicated due to having to store each players data files some way). And basically it would be one player playing through its own unique game, especially if everything was randomly generated. Things like global chat, the online list, etc could still be liked together so you can communicate with other players. Im pretty sure this is achievable, but if anyone notices a hole let me know. 

Another way would to just create a psuedo server that would run on the local machine that is built to only run with one client to achieve the same effect. 

I think this would be a really cool idea to implement and give some creativity to put the endless online client some use.

---
Andrewbob - I would be on the fucking copter of rofls

Programmer, Web Developer, and Graphics Designer
7 years, 40 weeks ago
Post #200580 Re: Server Idea

Sounds kind of like random generated dungeon games like FATE, only with an IRC via the global system. 

I don't know why it wouldn't be possible to have an isometric randomizer, the only thing that I could see as a concern is stuff like the edge tiles/walls being read incorrectly, thus not letting you move to the next area.

(Ex: The big tree might be placed on spot X:3 Y:2 by the randomization, but it may not read the long branches that run along the ground properly, thus causing a single possible route to be blocked off)

It would require quite a bit IMO to pull ^^ off, but if you could get that to work it would be interesting.

---
Former multi-server mapper.
7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200584 Re: Server Idea

Basically - EO meets Diablo III

Not sure how "Fun" EO would be without other players. It's a pretty communal game. Implementing a random generator wouldn't be that hard tbh. There are millions of ways you could get the RNG's to generate dungeons/mazes. 

---
http://sordie.co.uk
http://twitter.com/@SordieEO
7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200585 Re: Server Idea

I got an instanced map system working on my server a while back, but i've been wanting to try and make it possible to edit the map within the server. Should be easy if i take the time to look through eomap's source.

I've also been wanting to make weapons in eo scale to the players stats like in dark souls.

7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200604 Re: Server Idea

Didn't want to hyjack the topic but it wasn't worth posting a new one for this..

I was talking to a few people on the clone a couple days ago and we thought it'd be cool to have a sort of EO-pokemon server, with all the poke hype at the moment it'd be fun to have a small mini game server or something. It's a really possible idea it's just finding a skilled mapper who could remake some of the maps.

7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200607 Re: Server Idea
callum posted: (24th Jul 2016, 09:51 pm)

Didn't want to hyjack the topic but it wasn't worth posting a new one for this..

I was talking to a few people on the clone a couple days ago and we thought it'd be cool to have a sort of EO-pokemon server, with all the poke hype at the moment it'd be fun to have a small mini game server or something. It's a really possible idea it's just finding a skilled mapper who could remake some of the maps.

How would combat work on there? I feel like pressing ctrl to beat a pokemon with a weapon might come off wrong. o_o

Or would it be like press ctrl to throw a pokeball and just catch them only?

7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200608 Re: Server Idea
Ryouken posted: (24th Jul 2016, 10:16 pm)

How would combat work on there? I feel like pressing ctrl to beat a pokemon with a weapon might come off wrong. o_o

I think a Pokeserver could have a lot of potential, but it would be hard to get it right client-side. You'd have to use some pretty fancy client hacks or an open-source client (shameless plug), but you could have your Pokemon be spells maybe, and casting a spell brings out that pokemon to attack. Your item inventory has potions and balls and stuff. Maybe you could use the quest system to make the pokemon attack beyond NPCs doing basic fighting, but it would be really really clunky using the quest dialogs that way. I think it would be cool to implement trading too, but since pokemon are actually spells you'd have to trade spells which isn't implemented client-side.

As for the OP, I've always liked the idea of having your own house that is player-specific, so there's maybe one building externally but it warps you to your own map instance. I don't think EO works as a single player game, but it would be cool to see some randomly generated maps. Maybe I'll give that idea a go :P

---
class EOSERV {
Programmer | Oldbie
Open source EO Client: https://github.com/ethanmoffat/EndlessClient
};
7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200610 Re: Server Idea

Nerah tried to do something like that a long time ago but, well, he basically is non-existent now.

---
Former multi-server mapper.
7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200611 Re: Server Idea
ethanmoffat posted: (24th Jul 2016, 11:29 pm)

Ryouken posted: (24th Jul 2016, 10:16 pm)

I think a Pokeserver could have a lot of potential, but it would be hard to get it right client-side. You'd have to use some pretty fancy client hacks or an open-source client (shameless plug), but you could have your Pokemon be spells maybe, and casting a spell brings out that pokemon to attack. Your item inventory has potions and balls and stuff. Maybe you could use the quest system to make the pokemon attack beyond NPCs doing basic fighting, but it would be really really clunky using the quest dialogs that way. I think it would be cool to implement trading too, but since pokemon are actually spells you'd have to trade spells which isn't implemented client-side.

As for the OP, I've always liked the idea of having your own house that is player-specific, so there's maybe one building externally but it warps you to your own map instance. I don't think EO works as a single player game, but it would be cool to see some randomly generated maps. Maybe I'll give that idea a go :P

Well, its possible to just have the pokemon be attached to you character as a simple variable and have 6 spells which show according to how many pokemon you have on you. And when you want to trade just have it open up a chest interface showing all the pokemon you have on you as items to take out of it and trade as items. You could even use the chest interface to command the pokemon to do certain move by having items show in it with the move's name then when they right click it to withdraw instead of withdrawing it just issues the command to make it do that move. There's also the quest dialog box, if you want to keep it simple.
7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200613 Re: Server Idea

I didn't think any generation would be too difficult. And i can see where it could get boring playing by yourself, as long as there is some decent game play mechanics I think it would be fun.

---
Andrewbob - I would be on the fucking copter of rofls

Programmer, Web Developer, and Graphics Designer
7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200614 Re: Server Idea

At the moment it works through quest dialogs but I was planning make it work a few ways; spells, items and commands. I like the idea of having a bank or chest for moves the box would be huge right!?

At the moment it's just like basic pet battles, I need to make the NPCs know when they need an advantage and buff or when to go for certain moves. But yeah if any mappers are interested in this send me a PM yo it'd be awesome to have some nice Pokemon maps to go along with it.

Op: sorry for the topic, if anyone makes a random generated map that looks any kind of decent I wanna see it!

7 years, 39 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>