EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Possible SOAP or RCON implementation for EOSERV?
Page: << 1 >>
Possible SOAP or RCON implementation for EOSERV?
Post #200366 Possible SOAP or RCON implementation for EOSERV?

Hi there,

Do you think there will ever be any implementation of some form of RCON and remote administration and / or integration for EOSERV such as the SOAP Protocol etc?

It would be very handy to be able to interact with the server from a website for example, or just in general having full access remotely if or when needed to send a command to the server etc.

These protocols are already widely implemented as a one-size-fits all solution for this kind of thing, I just don't know how hard (or easy) this would be to include in to EOSERV.

7 years, 40 weeks ago
Post #200412 Re: Possible SOAP or RCON implementation for EOSERV?

sounds extremely easy to implement but making it secure might take a little more work

---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200414 Re: Possible SOAP or RCON implementation for EOSERV?

Being able to manage the game without being logged in to it would be a nice thing, but the main things missing right now are:

• A generalized way to refer to a character with all its related information regardless of whether their state is in memory, in the database, or waiting to be written to the database;
  • A way to lock characters while the admin is potentially affecting them, so that changes don't get overwritten or cause things to get out of sync; and
  • There's no work done to support a secondary non-EO protocol.

It's not as simple as just having an interface where you fire off admin commands (which would be relatively easy to add), which is fairly useless without any view in to the game world, feedback on the results of commands, and support to change things in real-time on the player's end if you want to do more than the standard in-game commands. It's not as simple as updating a field and telling the game to sort itself out, you need to implement dozens of different ways of updating different bits of data on the player end in EO, and most of them have undesired side-effects and limitations.

SOAP is antiquated poo and I have no idea what reason there would be to use it, so unless there was some very useful tools that make use of it that would pair well with EOSERV, I wouldn't consider it for any reason. Trying to capture the game world in a generic object model for things other than read-only viewing is near impossible for the same reason as above. Any remote control system would be using an EOSERV-specific protocol.

7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200415 Re: Possible SOAP or RCON implementation for EOSERV?
Sausage posted: (1st Jul 2016, 02:22 pm)

Being able to manage the game without being logged in to it would be a nice thing, but the main things missing right now are:

• A generalized way to refer to a character with all its related information regardless of whether their state is in memory, in the database, or waiting to be written to the database;
  • A way to lock characters while the admin is potentially affecting them, so that changes don't get overwritten or cause things to get out of sync; and
  • There's no work done to support a secondary non-EO protocol.

It's not as simple as just having an interface where you fire off admin commands (which would be relatively easy to add), which is fairly useless without any view in to the game world, feedback on the results of commands, and support to change things in real-time on the player's end if you want to do more than the standard in-game commands. It's not as simple as updating a field and telling the game to sort itself out, you need to implement dozens of different ways of updating different bits of data on the player end in EO, and most of them have undesired side-effects and limitations.

SOAP is antiquated poo and I have no idea what reason there would be to use it, so unless there was some very useful tools that make use of it that would pair well with EOSERV, I wouldn't consider it for any reason. Trying to capture the game world in a generic object model for things other than read-only viewing is near impossible for the same reason as above. Any remote control system would be using an EOSERV-specific protocol.

Seems like a job for a web-based client stripped down to text entry. Theoretically, this type of client could simply connect to a live server as a normal client would. Some sort of detection would be needed to log you into the game in a non-interact form, and likewise you might need other server-side hack-ins that would make this even worth doing. I have an old Java based client on a hard drive somewhere. Pretty sure it only was complete to login, but it could be worked out to eventually get this functionality. If anyone actually capable enough is interested I might see if I can dig up the source, but tbh if they are capable they might not need it anyway.
7 years, 39 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Possible SOAP or RCON implementation for EOSERV?