EOSERV Forum > EO Server Building > Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?
Page: << 1 >>
Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?
Post #200346 Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?

Has anyone attempted to do such thing ? 

I'm quite Fascinated with Raspberry Pi Systems. They are quite small yet convenient for a small server like EOServ.

7 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #200347 Re: Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?

I'm pretty sure Sordie has talked about this along time ago, not into much detail though if I remember correctly. I personally always wanted to try this, as it would be way cheaper then paying for a host specifically for eoserv; although if you wanted a website alongside your server. I'm honestly not sure if the Raspberry Pi would be suited to run both on the same machine or not (I'm really curious now). I don't see the problem with hosting just eoserv on it, specially since Raspberry Pi itself has been marketing it as Windows 10 compatible for awhile now.

7 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #200348 Re: Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?
Colby posted: (27th Jun 2016, 05:12 pm)

I'm pretty sure Sordie has talked about this along time ago, not into much detail though if I remember correctly. I personally always wanted to try this, as it would be way cheaper then paying for a host specifically for eoserv; although if you wanted a website alongside your server. I'm honestly not sure if the Raspberry Pi would be suited to run both on the same machine or not (I'm really curious now). I don't see the problem with hosting just eoserv on it, specially since Raspberry Pi itself has been marketing it as Windows 10 compatible for awhile now.

I really want to make a build out of the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and plug it into my Router, but I'm worried about DDOS stuff that can ruin my internet connection at home lol. 

or I can "Thuglife" on my office and just connect it from there, lol

7 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #200349 Re: Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?

It could be done, but you would need a bulky hard drive or something as the massive read / write to any kind of USB flash memory would broadly destroy it in 6 months as those kind of memory cards are not intended for that purpose. A Windows tablet would be your cheapest bet for something like this, but those devices are not designed to be servers either. Raspberry Pi would be better for making a micro game system for playing bootleg console games, but you can Google that stuff. The tiny arcade replicas are pretty sweet.

7 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #200351 Re: Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?
Apollo posted: (27th Jun 2016, 05:21 pm)

It could be done, but you would need a bulky hard drive or something as the massive read / write to any kind of USB flash memory would broadly destroy it in 6 months as those kind of memory cards are not intended for that purpose. A Windows tablet would be your cheapest bet for something like this, but those devices are not designed to be servers either. Raspberry Pi would be better for making a micro game system for playing bootleg console games, but you can Google that stuff. The tiny arcade replicas are pretty sweet.

how about an External Hard Drive ? so I can connect it on the USB ports. ( I hope it works like the ones on a regular motherboard)
7 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #200353 Re: Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?
wesly posted: (27th Jun 2016, 05:19 pm)

I really want to make a build out of the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and plug it into my Router, but I'm worried about DDOS stuff that can ruin my internet connection at home lol. 

I also think some residential internet company's don't allow you to host things on their internet connection; since it's against the law, but I'm not too sure how intrusive hosting eoserv would be. The DDOS stuff is most definitely something I didn't consider and honestly just turns me off to the whole project in itself as this community is notorious for that kind of behavior; not to mention if your home network isn't secure itself.

Thinking about some other problems right now off top my head since you brought up a huge one would be the power itself and how often you get power outages, but I think most people usually don't have power outages often and even if they do; you can easily get a backup battery for the Raspberry Pi itself and honestly would just be a cool/good idea in general to implement.

@Apollo,

You bring up a good point, but data isn't very expensive nowadays and it's honestly possible to just connect a cheap internal hard drive to a Raspberry Pi; you can honestly probably just salvage one easily out of an old computer and be perfectly fine.

7 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #200356 Re: Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?
Colby posted: (27th Jun 2016, 05:30 pm)

I also think some residential internet company's don't allow you to host things on their internet connection; since it's against the law, but I'm not too sure how intrusive hosting eoserv would be. The DDOS stuff is most definitely something I didn't consider and honestly just turns me off to the whole project in itself as this community is notorious for that kind of behavior; not to mention if your home network isn't secure itself.

Thinking about some other problems right now off top my head since you brought up a huge one would be the power itself and how often you get power outages, but I think most people usually don't have power outages often and even if they do; you can easily get a backup battery for the Raspberry Pi itself and honestly would just be a cool/good idea in general to implement.

@Apollo,

You bring up a good point, but data isn't very expensive nowadays and it's honestly possible to just connect a cheap internal hard drive to a Raspberry Pi; you can honestly probably just salvage one easily out of an old computer and be perfectly fine.

Regarding DDoS, bullies are everywhere, I would much rather have an attack aimed at my home network, whereby I can monitor the swarm IP's and report them as Zombies to my ISP. In theory they should also have reported it to one of the major backbone monitoring agencies set up to monitor net traffic, although for the low-scaled attacks you are likely to see out of this community / gamer communities, they will take little notice.

The reason I would rather be the target of an attack over having a VPS or Dedicated server attacked is quite simple, bullies only win when you give them power over you, if they attack your home network, oh well, a few hours / days downtime... go for a walk or take up a hobby that involves some sunshine, make an announcement to your community that some bully is trying to bully the server and it may be down till they need a jerk-off. xD

If they attack your hosting company however, most of these apply a policy whereby this is classed by them as "abuse of service" etc, and they may suspend your service or worse, meaning the bully sure does win, else you pay for astronomically high DDoS protection, to protect a server with only a couple of players on it, and the bully wins again.

Just my thoughts on the matter, there is a decent range of open source and free network traffic capturing software, you can also route your server through a net capture gateway machine etc to filter traffic based on custom rules to try and mitigate a small scale attack, but I just monitor and capture the swarm, this helps to identify which Botnet / Zombie swarm etc is being used, but little else. Also most of the so-called DDoS attacks from this community are either just LOIC or "Stress Testing" websites that people pay a fee to use, making the bully lose from the get-go if that's the case, let them do it as long as they want if it costs you nothing and them something...

7 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #200358 Re: Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?
wesly posted: (27th Jun 2016, 05:25 pm)

Apollo posted: (27th Jun 2016, 05:21 pm)

how about an External Hard Drive ? so I can connect it on the USB ports. ( I hope it works like the ones on a regular motherboard)

Here we get into SATA vs USB. In most cases a SATA drive will perform faster than USB, but I have seen results where a USB 3.0 external actually had faster read/write than an internal SATA. To me it still seems a bit weird to hook up a memory device that is 4 times the size of the hardware, but live the way you want to live. Either way, Pi should serve that purpose as EOSERV really is tiny in terms of resource use.

@Colby: It is true that various forms of flash memory are fairly inexpensive if one should go bad, but you can't put a price tag on losing your data.

7 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #200359 Re: Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?
Aeeria posted: (27th Jun 2016, 07:27 pm)

@Apollo,

Regarding DDoS, bullies are everywhere, I would much rather have an attack aimed at my home network, whereby I can monitor the swarm IP's and report them as Zombies to my ISP. In theory they should also have reported it to one of the major backbone monitoring agencies set up to monitor net traffic, although for the low-scaled attacks you are likely to see out of this community / gamer communities, they will take little notice.

The reason I would rather be the target of an attack over having a VPS or Dedicated server attacked is quite simple, bullies only win when you give them power over you, if they attack your home network, oh well, a few hours / days downtime... go for a walk or take up a hobby that involves some sunshine, make an announcement to your community that some bully is trying to bully the server and it may be down till they need a jerk-off. xD

If they attack your hosting company however, most of these apply a policy whereby this is classed by them as "abuse of service" etc, and they may suspend your service or worse, meaning the bully sure does win, else you pay for astronomically high DDoS protection, to protect a server with only a couple of players on it, and the bully wins again.

Just my thoughts on the matter, there is a decent range of open source and free network traffic capturing software, you can also route your server through a net capture gateway machine etc to filter traffic based on custom rules to try and mitigate a small scale attack, but I just monitor and capture the swarm, this helps to identify which Botnet / Zombie swarm etc is being used, but little else. Also most of the so-called DDoS attacks from this community are either just LOIC or "Stress Testing" websites that people pay a fee to use, making the bully lose from the get-go if that's the case, let them do it as long as they want if it costs you nothing and them something...

In most cases your internet company itself will probably just as likely be pissed off at you and maybe even shut your service off, but I totally get what you're saying. I know there is certain inexpensive hosting companies that do exist directly to combat DDOS situations. You could also monitor the traffic as well if you really wanted to on your dedicated server, but it most definitely wouldn't combat the control you have over your own network. It just sucks overall that there are people that dictate different methods to overcome something that should be originally really easy to do and overall it's a very complicated subject unlike fixing a bug in your line of code... even though that could sometimes be weeks of effort in itself sometimes.

@Apollo,

Very true, I mean in most cases people are more educated enough; specifically if they want to consider working with a project board like Raspberry Pi to not take a hard drive out of a windows 98 computer and call it a day. Overall I think it is kind of silly to connect a hard drive that is 4x the size of the initial hardware, but overall it's an inexpensive money saver if you plan on hosting your eoserv for more then 1+ years. Even if you don't, you still have a Raspberry Pi laying around to do other things with. Also it being a Raspberry Pi, it opens up a hole new world to what you can do with it as the documentation is endless for it. Meaning you can do anything you want with the hardware that may even benefit the core functionality of your server itself. In the end though, it's probably not the most reliant/best way to do things, but at least it's a fun project and might even open up a whole new world of other things for you to do/learn.

7 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #200360 Re: Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?
Colby posted: (27th Jun 2016, 09:50 pm)

Aeeria posted: (27th Jun 2016, 07:27 pm)

@Apollo,

In most cases your internet company itself will probably just as likely be pissed off at you and maybe even shut your service off, but I totally get what you're saying. I know there is certain inexpensive hosting companies that do exist directly to combat DDOS situations. You could also monitor the traffic as well if you really wanted to on your dedicated server, but it most definitely wouldn't combat the control you have over your own network. It just sucks overall that there are people that dictate different methods to overcome something that should be originally really easy to do and overall it's a very complicated subject unlike fixing a bug in your line of code... even though that could sometimes be weeks of effort in itself sometimes.

@Apollo,

Very true, I mean in most cases people are more educated enough; specifically if they want to consider working with a project board like Raspberry Pi to not take a hard drive out of a windows 98 computer and call it a day. Overall I think it is kind of silly to connect a hard drive that is 4x the size of the initial hardware, but overall it's an inexpensive money saver if you plan on hosting your eoserv for more then 1+ years. Even if you don't, you still have a Raspberry Pi laying around to do other things with. Also it being a Raspberry Pi, it opens up a hole new world to what you can do with it as the documentation is endless for it. Meaning you can do anything you want with the hardware that may even benefit the core functionality of your server itself. In the end though, it's probably not the most reliant/best way to do things, but at least it's a fun project and might even open up a whole new world of other things for you to do/learn.

Yes, you're quite right there, if you have a low end package or stock standard home internet or its like, you will likely find that your ISP will just switch off your service or type of traffic for abuse, they have plenty of capability to limit one of their customers for the benefits of their other customers in your area / exchange etc. Most ISP's however have this process almost entirely automated, nobody will get mad on their end, however some switches will likely trigger and apply a cap / limit / suspension, and then check periodically if the excessive usage has stopped, if so they usually proceed to automatically lift any temporary restrictions. This setup is designed to mitigate one of their customers sapping the network for their other customers and would be a literal nightmare to attempt without these automations in place.

It would have to be a seriously noticeable amount of regular or consistent "abuse" before your account would even be investigated for it.

I found that instead of paying for a dedicated server or mid to high end VPS to meet all my requirements (multiple servers), for the packages that my ISP has to offer for this kind of usage, static IP etc, and without capping, peak-limiting etc, I just pay that amount + standard line and net style bills directly to my ISP.

This way I become a host in their eyes and they treat me and my services a little better, and gives me access to their business support services, as apposed to "customer support", which in the country I'm in at least, means customer mess-around and apologize but do nothing. 

Another benefit of this method, is that I can upgrade my own server machines, which I own, as apposed to renting extra server spec from a company. In the long run you could end up paying for a small arsenal of machines with the monthly money you save from paying for a high end rental.

Not sure which country it is against the law to host residential in? Which law do you know?

Apollo posted: (27th Jun 2016, 08:36 pm)

wesly posted: (27th Jun 2016, 05:25 pm)

Apollo posted: (27th Jun 2016, 05:21 pm)

Here we get into SATA vs USB. In most cases a SATA drive will perform faster than USB, but I have seen results where a USB 3.0 external actually had faster read/write than an internal SATA. To me it still seems a bit weird to hook up a memory device that is 4 times the size of the hardware, but live the way you want to live. Either way, Pi should serve that purpose as EOSERV really is tiny in terms of resource use.

@Colby: It is true that various forms of flash memory are fairly inexpensive if one should go bad, but you can't put a price tag on losing your data.

I once used an external USB 2.0 HDD to store Virtual Disk Images (.vdi) for a set of virtual machines (one HDD for both), and hosted several servers on each, without actually noticing any issue.

It's not that there was no issue, as there could well have been! It was just unnoticeable and all ran smoothly enough. I never tried to stress-test it though.

7 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #200363 Re: Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?

I never said there were issues with using an external HDD less than USB3, but as performance goes most anything that happened after USB2 beats USB2. On another note, if you are reading and writing small files or bits of data chances are it will all happen so quickly that you won't notice any variation no matter what you do.

7 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #200364 Re: Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?
Apollo posted: (28th Jun 2016, 12:25 am)

I never said there were issues with using an external HDD less than USB3, but as performance goes most anything that happened after USB2 beats USB2. On another note, if you are reading and writing small files or bits of data chances are it will all happen so quickly that you won't notice any variation no matter what you do.

It wasn't a challenge or confrontation or anything, was just saying it worked fine with old tech lol.
7 years, 43 weeks ago
Post #200365 Re: Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?

I built eoserv on a Raspberry Pi when I first got my model B a few years ago. I think I was using the Raspbian distro, it was pretty easy to figure out. You definitely don't need Windows 10 for it, but Win10 would be a lot easier if you don't feel like taking a couple hours to learn basic bash commands.

Like Apollo already mentioned the disk would have a very short life because of database writes. Your best bet is to use some external MySQL/MariaDB host (via AWS or Azure maybe) or if you have another box you can host behind your firewall, use that. Or, as was already suggested, an external USB HDD will easily work, it will just be extremely slow because USB is a relatively slow protocol. I haven't looked into Pi's lately but I know mine definitely isn't USB3.

As far as ISP service goes, it entirely depends on your service provider. I've hosted tons of stuff (although not widely used other than for personal use) and haven't heard a peep from cockmast. The only thing I haven't had working is a VPN tunnel - I think they figured that one out and silently blocked my traffic because they want me to pay for business class. You can easily get around this with AWS free tier though, probably even for hosting EOSERV itself.

---
class EOSERV {
Programmer | Oldbie
Open source EO Client: https://github.com/ethanmoffat/EndlessClient
};
7 years, 43 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > EO Server Building > Server on a Raspberry Pi with a Windows 10 OS ?