EOSERV Forum > Game Development > GGN - Gamoria Gaming Network
Page: << 1 >>
GGN - Gamoria Gaming Network
Post #200211 GGN - Gamoria Gaming Network

Hi all,

After some rethinking of my initial idea to create (yet another) EO community website, and after reviewing related posts regarding this, I have shifted the idea to a broader concept.

People are quite right, we don't need any more EO websites, this one and the few others suffice.

So... outside of the EO box but still in the gaming world, I have re-branded the project into a gaming network.

I figure that I do a lot of gaming and it's always more fun with some friends that you have gamed with before, so with this in mind, and that likely others feel this way as well, provide a middleman / common ground / gamer network to get together, organize, review, link, share, etc.

But if anyone is feeling up to it, and preferably not in a negative mood! I could do with some constructive criticism or ideas etc, also members but yeah, those should follow if it has something worth coming for, which it really doesn't at this stage.

Also good to know if things work on different devices, browsers, etc, or to iron out bugs at an early stage. xD

Homepage - https://gamoria.com/

Network - https://forum.gamoria.com/

Direct links (gamoria.com/social/ and gamoria.com/social/backend)

Thanks for your time.

7 years, 45 weeks ago
Post #200212 Re: GGN - Gamoria Gaming Network

Not the first of it's kind but I like it nonetheless. Do you plan on hosting servers for various games in the future? It would require a lot of effort but starting small and seeing where it goes wouldn't be bad.

7 years, 45 weeks ago
Post #200213 Re: GGN - Gamoria Gaming Network

Looks good, a few comments:

• The front page is confusing as hell and has no info about what the website is actually about on it. Links to a couple of (let's face it, not very active) server "WebCP"s (which are not exactly useful to anyone other than admins), and some random stalker-ish data logs just make it even more confusing. I'd expect to see some description about who/what you are, what you do, pretty pictures to grab my attention, etc, rather than what just looks like an advertising hub.
  • The forum looks over-categorized before anyone's even made a post. It might be better to grow categories organically based on what people are going there to post, than having sparse posts spread out between so many categories, some which you find you may not even want/need. Maybe consider tagging-based rather than a category-based forum software? - People don't like posting in empty categories if it feels like noone is ever going to see their post.
  • There doesn't seem to be any reason for anyone to visit or post on the fourm at all. There should be some initial compelling reason for people to go there, either an existing community or to talk about something unique to your website. I'd expect to see "EOZombie" and "Aeeria" forum categories to bring that existing community in, then let them spread out from there. - If you haven't got such original things, start creating things other than yet-another-forum. Just setting up a forum is something literally anyone can do. If you do, you have done a poor job at communicating to me what I'm supposed to be there for.
  • I'm not sure why you copied the "Spam Can" thing. It was only created for moderation in the days before I added delete buttons. ;p

Good luck!

7 years, 45 weeks ago
Post #200216 Re: GGN - Gamoria Gaming Network

Yeah, the front page is a bit cluster tuck... I mean I had to take few moments to find where to register and after that to find how to get back to forums.

---
Eoserv classes: Forum ghost, test player, ex-server owner, TOP 50, mapper & an
oldbie
7 years, 45 weeks ago
Post #200217 Re: GGN - Gamoria Gaming Network
Ryouken posted: (11th Jun 2016, 05:13 pm)

Not the first of it's kind but I like it nonetheless. Do you plan on hosting servers for various games in the future? It would require a lot of effort but starting small and seeing where it goes wouldn't be bad.

Yes I have been hosting one server or another for many years now, always something! I doubt I would be taking on too many at once though, especially without a revenue source to equalize the costs etc.

Thanks for the comments.

Sausage posted: (12th Jun 2016, 01:36 am)

Looks good, a few comments:

• The front page is confusing as hell and has no info about what the website is actually about on it. Links to a couple of (let's face it, not very active) server "WebCP"s (which are not exactly useful to anyone other than admins), and some random stalker-ish data logs just make it even more confusing. I'd expect to see some description about who/what you are, what you do, pretty pictures to grab my attention, etc, rather than what just looks like an advertising hub.
  • The forum looks over-categorized before anyone's even made a post. It might be better to grow categories organically based on what people are going there to post, than having sparse posts spread out between so many categories, some which you find you may not even want/need. Maybe consider tagging-based rather than a category-based forum software? - People don't like posting in empty categories if it feels like noone is ever going to see their post.
  • There doesn't seem to be any reason for anyone to visit or post on the fourm at all. There should be some initial compelling reason for people to go there, either an existing community or to talk about something unique to your website. I'd expect to see "EOZombie" and "Aeeria" forum categories to bring that existing community in, then let them spread out from there. - If you haven't got such original things, start creating things other than yet-another-forum. Just setting up a forum is something literally anyone can do. If you do, you have done a poor job at communicating to me what I'm supposed to be there for.
  • I'm not sure why you copied the "Spam Can" thing. It was only created for moderation in the days before I added delete buttons. ;p

Good luck!

This is gold thanks, would have made a great guide had I stumbled on to it a few months back! But yeah all good points that I will brainstorm on and adapt to. Only the "Spam Can" thing has been around for a long time, EOSERV is not the first nor the last to have one! Also a "review before deletion" system is always handy and Spam Can suits the name well. xD

sephiroth posted: (12th Jun 2016, 11:17 pm)

Yeah, the front page is a bit cluster tuck... I mean I had to take few moments to find where to register and after that to find how to get back to forums.

I will get on fixing that first, then move on to reworking the forums for content.

7 years, 45 weeks ago
Post #200233 Re: GGN - Gamoria Gaming Network

Is it wrong I hate forums that cant automatically resize my avatar?

---
http://www.ctronic.ga
http://www.tsu.co/Deltro
https://www.reverbnation.com/deltro9
7 years, 45 weeks ago
Post #200246 Re: GGN - Gamoria Gaming Network

I think you forgot to turn off your PHP error reporting in phpMyAdmin.

Edit: Nvm, it's phpBB Debug; my bad.

7 years, 45 weeks ago
Post #200260 Re: GGN - Gamoria Gaming Network
kodyt posted: (15th Jun 2016, 12:29 am)

Is it wrong I hate forums that cant automatically resize my avatar?

Not at all, I will look into that. xD

*Edit, I've implemented automatic avatar resizing to 150x150, so if you choose a larger image, it will still accept it and resize for you.

Colby posted: (15th Jun 2016, 10:17 am)

I think you forgot to turn off your PHP error reporting in phpMyAdmin.

Edit: Nvm, it's phpBB Debug; my bad.

Fixed that, yeah I had forgotten to switch off while debugging the forum integration etc.

I have implemented a lot of the ideas discussed above, you may need to Ctrl F5 / reload the page to update cached files, but it should be fine without.

If anyone has any further input / ideas about these recent changes, please let me know! - https://gamoria.com/

To summarize:

Proposed niches:

People who are starting on a new online game, and want to pre-join an existing guild / clan or group to get a head start.

People who already play an online game who joins one of our existing guilds or clans, back-linking to the network.

People who want to list their guild or clan on our network to grow their guild or clan, and our network.

People who want to list their games / hosts on our network to grow their games / hosts, and our network.

People who want to do social stuff about games, reviews etc or community etc and add content.

Any thoughts?

Homepage logged in:

7 years, 45 weeks ago
Post #200261 Re: GGN - Gamoria Gaming Network

My current for lack of better words "issue" is when I see these types of things I think oh well thats locked for everyone I cant go any further. 

(But maybe thats just me)

---
http://www.ctronic.ga
http://www.tsu.co/Deltro
https://www.reverbnation.com/deltro9
7 years, 45 weeks ago
Post #200262 Re: GGN - Gamoria Gaming Network
kodyt posted: (17th Jun 2016, 05:54 am)

My current for lack of better words "issue" is when I see these types of things I think oh well thats locked for everyone I cant go any further. 

(But maybe thats just me)

That makes sense I guess! I had "locked" them as they were container forums, no posts will end up in there, the forums within those containers are all post-accepting however, but I can just as easily edit out the posting permissions for those containers and the "locked" icon will no longer show. I sort of used them for partitioning if that makes sense.

*Edit fixed it.

7 years, 45 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > Game Development > GGN - Gamoria Gaming Network