EOSERV Forum > EO Server Building > [Update] EO UI Replacement Preview
Page: << 1 >>
[Update] EO UI Replacement Preview
Post #199996 [Update] EO UI Replacement Preview

My internet connection is getting shut off tomorrow before I move out sometime later this week, but I've got a small update.

I haven't had much time to work on this the past couple of days, but I did make some bigger changes to the client's code itself.

Most noticeable are the text fields drawn by the client, which no longer have rounded corners on the outer border, have a different background color, and now have an inner border in order to match everything else. No more out of place brown text fields. :D

Since that's done, I'm going to return my focus the graphical work in my spare time for now haha. ^^

==========================================================================================================

Original Post

==========================================================================================================

Last year, I had begun working on some EO related projects, but lost all of my work due to a hard drive failure and lack of recent backups which lead to me losing the drive I initially had, so I spent some time away. Came back and spent some time on the main clone private server this week and regained the drive and interest to start over on the work I had lost.

This isn't the same as the UI replacement I was working on before, but isn't too dissimilar either. After starting work on a custom UI replacement yesterday, I've pretty much covered all of gfx001; all that's left is to finish the title background and to make some small adjustments to fix some minor issues elsewhere.

Here's a preview of what I've done so far. I wanted something clean and consistent. ^^

I made a really lousy animated preview as well, so I'll just leave this here.

Criticism and suggestions are welcome. ^^

Once I finish GFX002 and finish making modifications to the client, I will release the relevant files (client will either be released as a patch or straight up modified executable; not sure yet...) here and provide a tutorial of sorts on modifying little things like the colors of text and text fields drawn by the client.
Afterwards, I will begin working on replacing the in-game sprite work as well and hopefully end up replacing all of the original sprite work. I will be using all of this, to some extent, in another EO related project that I'm working on, but I'm still going share my work here as I finish it. No sense in keeping it to myself. ^^;

---
【eoserv―isana】
7 years, 47 weeks ago
Post #200002 Re: EO UI Replacement Preview

It's weird how modern the really pixelated 8-bit style is becoming, probably due to all the Indie games out there now.

I think if you could completely change the character, map, and NPC sprites to be styled similarly it would look pretty good - as of now, the characters look pretty out of place in comparison to the rest of the UI.

My only criticisms: 

1. The "level" text under each of the characters looks squished, I think it could be reframed to fit better.
  2. The frame around the version / server info in the main screen might be too small. Try it with a really long server name to find out for sure, but I can see text going out of bounds of that frame pretty easily.

Overall this is one of the better graphics re-vamps I've seen. It isn't too in-your-face with the color choices and I like what you've done with the font colors.

---
class EOSERV {
Programmer | Oldbie
Open source EO Client: https://github.com/ethanmoffat/EndlessClient
};
7 years, 47 weeks ago
Post #200005 Re: EO UI Replacement Preview
ethanmoffat posted: (11th May 2016, 06:53 pm)

It's weird how modern the really pixelated 8-bit style is becoming, probably due to all the Indie games out there now.

I think if you could completely change the character, map, and NPC sprites to be styled similarly it would look pretty good - as of now, the characters look pretty out of place in comparison to the rest of the UI.

My only criticisms: 

1. The "level" text under each of the characters looks squished, I think it could be reframed to fit better.
  2. The frame around the version / server info in the main screen might be too small. Try it with a really long server name to find out for sure, but I can see text going out of bounds of that frame pretty easily.

Overall this is one of the better graphics re-vamps I've seen. It isn't too in-your-face with the color choices and I like what you've done with the font colors.

Thanks for the feedback. ^^ It may take a while, but I do intend on doing a complete graphical overhaul, so I'll be trying my best to make sure nothing feels too out of place haha.

1. Yeah, now that you mention it, it is a little squished. I was actually planning on making the client draw the current level on the opposite side of where it's drawn by default so I'll fix it then. ( ^ ^)b

2. I was worried about that too, but wasn't sure what I wanted to do about it; ditch the frame or just make it larger? I think I've decided on just having it span the entire width of available space and shifting the background up a bit more and see how that looks. When the version/server text disappears it looks out of place, so I'm looking into patching the client to make sure it's rendered until the user is in-game.
---
【eoserv―isana】
7 years, 47 weeks ago
Post #203508 Re: [Update] EO UI Replacement Preview

I wonder what happened to this.

6 years, 33 weeks ago
Post #203521 Re: [Update] EO UI Replacement Preview
wesly posted: (17th Aug 2017, 05:50 am)

I wonder what happened to this.

It went poof just like every other half finished project on eoserv.net :p.  People just get bored and do something else usually.
6 years, 32 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > EO Server Building > [Update] EO UI Replacement Preview