EOSERV Forum > EO Server Building > How do you create a Balanced Server ?
Page: << 1 2 >>
How do you create a Balanced Server ?
Post #199644 How do you create a Balanced Server ?

Title says it all, I tried but I can't quite find the right Recipe for it *FLIPS UNIVERSE* .

8 years, 4 weeks ago
Post #199645 Re: How do you create a Balanced Server ?

You really cant. Someone will always complain about something. In a game like EO, it creates a lot of complaints, like a lack of actual pvp, horrible spells *tagging*, etc. 

---
Former multi-server mapper.
8 years, 4 weeks ago
Post #199646 Re: How do you create a Balanced Server ?

The only way to really "Balance" a server is not to worry about making everyone like the game but rather trying to make it so the drop rate isn't ridiculous and keeping experience and gold gain low enough that people always have something to do and are able to actually spend gold on other peoples' items or trade without gold being useless.

When it comes to Endless Online nothing really matters as much as gold being needed by all/many, experience not being too easy to get, and items being "worth" camping for.

---
Something I do instead of sleeping
8 years, 4 weeks ago
Post #199647 Re: How do you create a Balanced Server ?

Make it so their is something you want to strive for and it is actually challenging to get, it takes away the fun in the huge grind aspect of Endless when you are 1 shotting things the first day. Aswell as leveling up the same with items dont make OP items when making items keep in mind the HP and defense of the monsters the people of that item will be fighting. Like "oh this dagger that noobs will get adds an extra 2-3 damage so Im gonna add an extra 20-30 health of this goat they'll most likely be fighting". Something like that.

---
Siggy
8 years, 4 weeks ago
Post #199648 Re: How do you create a Balanced Server ?

Take away gold drops. Gold can only be made by selling to store or crafting from ores or chest spawns. Make all item crafts use gold... gold is the key..

And always have lots of quests of course. Challenge the users, but also make a good central point for ppl to sit an chit chat at.

---
http://www.ctronic.ga
http://www.tsu.co/Deltro
https://www.reverbnation.com/deltro9
8 years, 4 weeks ago
Post #199650 Re: How do you create a Balanced Server ?
kodyt posted: (30th Mar 2016, 09:46 pm)

Take away gold drops. Gold can only be made by selling to store or crafting from ores or chest spawns. Make all item crafts use gold... gold is the key..

And always have lots of quests of course. Challenge the users, but also make a good central point for ppl to sit an chit chat at.

That's actually a very good idea. 
---
"Straight outta cago"
8 years, 4 weeks ago
Post #199691 Re: How do you create a Balanced Server ?
Redivivusnickos posted: (31st Mar 2016, 01:43 am)

I believe the Max gold you can have at once in a shop is 250Gold for crafts, and You can use that 4 time so only 1k :( The best way I found to get around this is to have the same shop(or different one) sell an item for a designated price in order to add it to the craft :) So if you want the craft to use 100k gold, just get the shop to sell something that is 100k and required to us
8 years, 3 weeks ago
Post #200631 Re: How do you create a Balanced Server ?

Lack of PVP? Easy. Make large maps that have many valuable NPC's/chest spawns on them have PVP. No gold drops? Not necessarily, just make it so sheep and goats don't drop 20-40-100G, even if your orons cost 100K, or 5M. Gold will look like nothing, and then it will have that crappy private server feel. Make gold seem like "holy shit I just got 20K gold". Don't make every single NPC drop gold, and make different NPC's drop different gold. Goats should have like a 4% chance of dropping 1-4G, and an NPC with 100HP should have like a 3% chance to drop 4-14G. It shouldn't always be 100-200g for a dragon for example, but rather 30-200. As you see in balanced main, sheep give 22 EXP, not 44. As you see in main, the difference between a jack spear and saw sword is 1-3, and 6-12 (I forget the exact amounts), and not 1-3 and 200-400. If 200-400 doesn't seem like much, then you are giving too many stats per level. When players have to use #update str, con, etc. because they have too many stats to update per level, then you are giving too many per level. 3 is the PERFECT amount per level, and the EO stat/experience system was designed for this, and not 6. If your players aren't happy because "it's too hard", then you have original EO players that are bored with the game and aren't worth having on your server anyways because they'll end up leaving. Aim for bringing brand new EO players to your server, meaning people that never even played EO, but found your server on some gaming forum or something.

Don't make your drop rates at 20%, even if players complain that it takes 5 hours to get peasant clothes; they are probably exaggerating, but maybe not, maybe the drop rates on EOSERV software is different than the main EO Software, i'm not too sure. But I remember my players complaining a lot and I ended up increasing it so they could finally get an item, to then find later that there were tons and tons of items on the ground the players left behind because it dropped to often. If your maps are filled with dropped items that players don't want, that's a sign that your drop rates are too high and people will just join and find no value in your server when they can just pick shit off the ground and have no other reason to play except to level their character.

A balanced server wouldn't have every shop, or every NPC on the same map, or on the maps next to each other. There wouldn't be unique NPC's on each map, otherwise you would have 100 maps on your server and then have no uniqueness to it because players can just walk to the next map and find a brand new NPC. Look in main EO, and how theres tons of goats and shit on new maps and you have to go through these grass map trails until you find the rare/nice looking maps that have the valuable-seeming NPC's that drop good items, like reapers, dragons, vipers, blobs, bird men, ghosts, etc.. Don't make leveling so easy. Players should be happy with being at level 10. Being at level 56, reborn 1051035812 is not appealing to the human brains reward system. 25 seems like a high number just like a 20 dollar bill does. 100 seems like a grand prize like a $100 bill does. See what I mean? This is just my opinion on what I see as a balanced server, lots of others will probably disagree because everyone is different. But when I hear "balanced", I visualize main EO, and servers that have strived towards being similar to it.

Also. There needs to be a player economy. People shouldn't be able to buy everything in shops. People will like to craft items and sell them, so people that are too lazy to get the required items can just buy the item from players. There needs to be those kind of things, items that players like buying. Piggys, craft materials, quest items, scrolls, potions, etc..

If you want to get really deep into it. Try making your server a bit class based. That can be strict, like making it so only Alchemists can craft the "high end potions", or simple by making it so you can only choose your class once, so that only archers can equip bows, warriors can equip heavy armors, and wizards can learn/cast spells...

7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200637 Re: How do you create a Balanced Server ?

Fixing the stat point formulas or taking stat points out of players hands, or using a curve / cap would be a start. 

7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200638 Re: How do you create a Balanced Server ?
Apollo posted: (27th Jul 2016, 09:08 pm)

Fixing the stat point formulas or taking stat points out of players hands, or using a curve / cap would be a start. 

I agree with this. That would definitely add a spice to the server
7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200639 Re: How do you create a Balanced Server ?

Adding elements and making weapons/staves and such scale off the player's stats would be pretty cool. It would make most  weapons have purpose for longer depending on how you make your character instead of just going from one weapon to the next and usually being given good weapons by players who can get them easily which sort of gives the weapons in between no chance at all.

7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200640 Re: How do you create a Balanced Server ?
Ryouken posted: (28th Jul 2016, 04:39 am)

Adding elements and making weapons/staves and such scale off the player's stats would be pretty cool. It would make most  weapons have purpose for longer depending on how you make your character instead of just going from one weapon to the next and usually being given good weapons by players who can get them easily which sort of gives the weapons in between no chance at all.

Well to be fair, it never really helped that weapons like Holy Book, Throwing Star, etc. had no purpose beyond being semi-cosmetic. The stats were all relatively the same 1-1 with maybe +1-2 accuracy and that was about it, whereas compared to TB and Saw that gave things like 1-6. Same for armor, most of the shop armors gave again, little to no stats. 

If different armors gave different stats based on your class, then possible scaling?? based on your stat points? Ex: Tuxedo gives 4% CHA (Idk) for Rogues, but 4% WIS for Mages. It could definitely be written into a private server, but I think based on EO's capacities, you MIGHT need separate armors for each class..... Either that or a lot of IF clauses to check for class and stats. 

---
7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200641 Re: How do you create a Balanced Server ?

I think i might add it to my rev and use the rpn function used for stats. I could have it calculate it in it's own way for each stat it alters and add it to the base stats of the weapon.

Edit: Also, on a side note, I might start working on my revision again and adding crazy features people suggest assuming they're interesting enough. I plan on finishing my housing system to allow editing of the actual room's objects, I was thinking of having it to where it fills the map with npcs that show as a kind of highlight tile sprite or just have them be invisible and have it to where you can click them to show a quest dialong box full of items to choose to place in the spot where said npc you clicked on is standing. Of course filling the room with npcs limits the size (since only like 250 can exist due to client limitations and the fact it will lag) so i may just make an item you can use to edit the tile you're facing or standing on and use the same dialog box method. If anyone has more ideas let me know.

7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200643 Re: How do you create a Balanced Server ?
arglon posted: (4th Apr 2016, 02:17 pm)

I believe the Max gold you can have at once in a shop is 250Gold for crafts, and You can use that 4 time so only 1k :( The best way I found to get around this is to have the same shop(or different one) sell an item for a designated price in order to add it to the craft :) So if you want the craft to use 100k gold, just get the shop to sell something that is 100k and required to us

If there is no gold drops and you balance out prices 1k would equal 100k in todays eo market. 

Still support the no gold movement.

---
http://www.ctronic.ga
http://www.tsu.co/Deltro
https://www.reverbnation.com/deltro9
7 years, 39 weeks ago
Post #200652 Re: How do you create a Balanced Server ?
kodyt posted: (28th Jul 2016, 03:59 pm)

arglon posted: (4th Apr 2016, 02:17 pm)

If there is no gold drops and you balance out prices 1k would equal 100k in todays eo market. 

Still support the no gold movement.

I'm kind of in favor of this, but you would have to carefully balance out which items yield how much. As it stands now, snake rattles/teeth, and mushrooms, (And other items) have higher drop rates and yield a better Gold/hour rate than stuff like goat horns/rat tails. Back when the bots were at snakes 24/7 if they weren't looting shit I was making at least 10k/hr in gold just by looting their drops and selling to witch.
---
7 years, 38 weeks ago
Page: << 1 2 >>

EOSERV Forum > EO Server Building > How do you create a Balanced Server ?