EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Bug with Client Version Editing
Page: << 1 >>
Bug with Client Version Editing
Post #199059 Bug with Client Version Editing

Oddly enough, it seems that hex editing the client version, even on an unpacked client, has the curious side effect of nerfing Guild Leaders menus with the guild masters. The "Insufficient rank" message pops up despite their leader credentials.

A cursory search shows that this isn't the first time this has happened to somebody.

Does anyone have any idea what the deal is there? I'd think hex editing a single value wouldn't cause such a ruckus.

EDIT: Disregard. It looks like hex editing the value to below 28 (1, in this case) causes the guild menu bug. I'm not gonna question that, I'll just arbitrarily set the value to 100 since it doesn't matter in any patcher scenario anyway. Thanks to anyone who would have helped out.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #199060 Re: Bug with Client Version Editing

You may have triggered the server's pre-28 data structure. There is a compatibility mode that can be toggled for the real v27 client. My guess is that is the case.

8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #199071 Re: Bug with Client Version Editing

Yes, EOSERV detects a version below 28 and sends a differently formatted character data packet on login (stats changed to 2 bytes up from 1) to retain compatibility with the .27 client. In this case the number 24 is sent where the guild rank is expected.

Disable the OldVersionCompat config option to assume every client is using the .28 protocol.

8 years, 20 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Bug with Client Version Editing