EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > EO.Addons and security.
Page: << 1 2 >>
EO.Addons and security.
Post #198870 EO.Addons and security.

So an update to Windows Defender is now detecting EO.Addons as being infected with the trojan: Win32/Spursint.A and deleting them. 

I have reviewed all the addons from the official downloads and I can assure you this is a false detection, probably due to the way the code injects itself into the client as some malware may do. If you're having this problem and wish to continue using EO.Addons then you'll need to whitelist them in windows defender.

It has also been brought to my attention that EO.Addons is being distributed with some custom clients for private servers. Whilst I'm not going to pursue this any further (freely distribute if you want) I cannot guarantee any downloads that aren't from http://sordie.co.uk So use them at your own risk.

It has also been mentioned that some private servers are hiding code in the .egf (endless graphics files) that may or may not be malicious. This is possible because of the way the client loads these files as .dll (dynamic link library) files. Here is a handy addon that will replace the way the client loads .egf files, preventing any code from being executed or loaded: EOEGFDataOnly.eaf This will also speed up load times on slower machines and slightly reduce memory usage.

I've also been working on making some of my old private addons suitable for public release and even written a few new ones. These will be released shortly, so keep an eye out! =D

Edit (13th Dec 15): Updated all links to point to sordie.co.uk

---
http://sordie.co.uk
http://twitter.com/@SordieEO
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #198871 Re: EO.Addons and security.

Any time-frame for the addon that will extend the pub loading capabilities past 999 items? or is making gfx-loading redundant feature your final addon for this project?

---
https://www.fallen-evolution.com
https://www.fallen-evolution.com/discord
https://eosource.net
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #198872 Re: EO.Addons and security.
elevations posted: (14th Nov 2015, 03:03 pm)

Any time-frame for the addon that will extend the pub loading capabilities past 999 items? or is making gfx-loading redundant feature your final addon for this project?

The 999 items limit is probably just an arbitrary number hard coded into the client as it's a very "Human" number. I'll look into it at some point. It'll probably just be a simple memory edit.

---
http://sordie.co.uk
http://twitter.com/@SordieEO
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #198873 Re: EO.Addons and security.

It's been awhile Sordie welcome back? And thanks for the EGF loader, I noticed that some servers did have weird files but never actually looked into it.

---
Former multi-server mapper.
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #198875 Re: EO.Addons and security.
Sordie posted: (14th Nov 2015, 04:01 pm)

The 999 items limit is probably just an arbitrary number hard coded into the client as it's a very "Human" number. I'll look into it at some point. It'll probably just be a simple memory edit.

Awesome to see that you're doing some work with the client again.

The EGFSafeLoader is a genius feature considering the immense danger of storing graphics in DLLs - Especially given the known presence of malicious code in GFX 4 of a particular server.

Regarding items, is a very human number - *however*, it's ultimately based on how large the EIF (or any pub) file is. The real limit is 64kb on the pub file - And that's not a very human number. It's unclear to me whether this is related to how large of a packet the client can receive (protocol problem) or how much memory the client allocates to store the pub files (variable problem.)

If you're able to resolve that issue, there will be a collective "Well holy shit" from all of the server owners, because that's a very limiting thing indeed.

Also please considering taking a look at the limits on the EGF files, which cap at 10000. This has caused huge headaches in terms of patching/swapping items for existing server hosts who have met the cap, as it only even allows 100 weapons to exist in graphics. Furthermore, it's clearly unrelated to file size because my GFX 21 is over 117kb, while my GFX 17 is around 26k. Both are maxed out on graphics, but are obviously limited only by some arbitrary number.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #198876 Re: EO.Addons and security.
Cirras posted: (14th Nov 2015, 10:21 pm)

The EGFSafeLoader is a genius feature considering the immense danger of storing graphics in DLLs - Especially given the known presence of malicious code in GFX 4 of a particular server.

Regarding items, is a very human number - *however*, it's ultimately based on how large the EIF (or any pub) file is. The real limit is 64kb on the pub file - And that's not a very human number. It's unclear to me whether this is related to how large of a packet the client can receive (protocol problem) or how much memory the client allocates to store the pub files (variable problem.)

If you're able to resolve that issue, there will be a collective "Well holy shit" from all of the server owners, because that's a very limiting thing indeed.

Also please considering taking a look at the limits on the EGF files, which cap at 10000. This has caused huge headaches in terms of patching/swapping items for existing server hosts who have met the cap, as it only even allows 100 weapons to exist in graphics. Furthermore, it's clearly unrelated to file size because my GFX 21 is over 117kb, while my GFX 17 is around 26k. Both are maxed out on graphics, but are obviously limited only by some arbitrary number.

If there is malicious code in a server would it not be prudent to say what server it is that is serving the software so that others can avoid it?

Edit: Perhaps there should be a topic dedicated to naming and shaming underhanded servers. Some may frown upon this, but if a server is willingly fucking over its users, I don't think they have any right to have that kept a secret.

---
May he now rest under aegis of mirage -
As the sands slowly turn to Elysian fields
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #198878 Re: EO.Addons and security.
Syran posted: (14th Nov 2015, 11:23 pm)

If there is malicious code in a server would it not be prudent to say what server it is that is serving the software so that others can avoid it?

Edit: Perhaps there should be a topic dedicated to naming and shaming underhanded servers. Some may frown upon this, but if a server is willingly fucking over its users, I don't think they have any right to have that kept a secret.

Going out on a limb but I'd  have thought he meant FE, I thought it was public knowledge that elevations infects like everything he releases. I believe it was, in his words "a defence". Only a goon like that could poasibly try pass a malware infection as a defence, he basically wanted to control players.
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #198879 Re: EO.Addons and security.
callum posted: (15th Nov 2015, 01:40 am)

Going out on a limb but I'd  have thought he meant FE, I thought it was public knowledge that elevations infects like everything he releases. I believe it was, in his words "a defence". Only a goon like that could poasibly try pass a malware infection as a defence, he basically wanted to control players.

I haven't kept up with servers since about 2010 or so to be honest, so I'm not really in the loop for that stuff. I just think it would be a good idea to compile a list of known hostile sites so people can avoid them if they choose.
---
May he now rest under aegis of mirage -
As the sands slowly turn to Elysian fields
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #198880 Re: EO.Addons and security.
Syran posted: (15th Nov 2015, 02:24 am)

I haven't kept up with servers since about 2010 or so to be honest, so I'm not really in the loop for that stuff. I just think it would be a good idea to compile a list of known hostile sites so people can avoid them if they choose.

Something like that happened already once, all it caused was war.. So many people went back and forth, trolling, attacking... it just isn't worth it. If players can't figure it out or are okay with it.. so be it let it happen. 
---
http://www.ctronic.ga
http://www.tsu.co/Deltro
https://www.reverbnation.com/deltro9
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #198884 Re: EO.Addons and security.
kodyt posted: (15th Nov 2015, 02:26 am)

Something like that happened already once, all it caused was war.. So many people went back and forth, trolling, attacking... it just isn't worth it. If players can't figure it out or are okay with it.. so be it let it happen. 

"War, war never changes"

@Callum still going on about that? No im not trying to control anybody and if its public knowledge then leave it alone and stop going on about it just because your butt-hurt about your bots not making a sale on main server which is gone now by the way since your still stuck in the past. Stop making baseless rumors and server-bashing for your own personal reasons.

@Syran compiling a list of hostile sites? i really wonder what servers could be at fault and what "malware" is being installed. 
---
https://www.fallen-evolution.com
https://www.fallen-evolution.com/discord
https://eosource.net
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #198885 Re: EO.Addons and security.
elevations posted: (15th Nov 2015, 05:25 am)

"War, war never changes"

@Callum still going on about that? No im not trying to control anybody and if its public knowledge then leave it alone and stop going on about it just because your butt-hurt about your bots not making a sale on main server which is gone now by the way since your still stuck in the past. Stop making baseless rumors and server-bashing for your own personal reasons.

@Syran compiling a list of hostile sites? i really wonder what servers could be at fault and what "malware" is being installed. 

I know a long time ago there was a server that put some adware on my computer, not sure how they did it exactly though. 
---
Former multi-server mapper.
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #198886 Re: EO.Addons and security.
elevations posted: (15th Nov 2015, 05:25 am)

"War, war never changes"

"In other words, war is part of history, and history repeats itself."

Ele you wont ever live it down in this small community just like Cal wont ever live down making bots and unitt wont ever not be a 24hr botter. Such is life in this digitized hell of a community. 

@Misca my packer unloaded bloatware onto the computer when I hosted a server for like 1 week.. lol Andrew used his server to infect people with shit as well.. It was so common back in the day. 
---
http://www.ctronic.ga
http://www.tsu.co/Deltro
https://www.reverbnation.com/deltro9
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #198896 Re: EO.Addons and security.

The real limit is 64kb on the pub file - And that's not a very human number. It's unclear to me whether this is related to how large of a packet the client can receive (protocol problem) or how much memory the client allocates to store the pub files (variable problem.)

It's the protocol. Each packet is prefixed with 2 bytes that, when combined / decoded, indicate the length of the data. The maximum (unsigned) number you can represent in two 8-bit bytes is 65536. Thus the 64k limit.

Any workarounds for this involve breaking compatibility with the original client.

---
class EOSERV {
Programmer | Oldbie
Open source EO Client: https://github.com/ethanmoffat/EndlessClient
};
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #198897 Re: EO.Addons and security.
ethanmoffat posted: (15th Nov 2015, 07:49 am)

The real limit is 64kb on the pub file - And that's not a very human number. It's unclear to me whether this is related to how large of a packet the client can receive (protocol problem) or how much memory the client allocates to store the pub files (variable problem.)

It's the protocol. Each packet is prefixed with 2 bytes that, when combined / decoded, indicate the length of the data. The maximum (unsigned) number you can represent in two 8-bit bytes is 65536. Thus the 64k limit.

Any workarounds for this involve breaking compatibility with the original client.

That's what I thought, which would seem to make a fix infeasible unless there's some mix of client hackery and protocol modification that I've not heard of yet.
---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #198898 Re: EO.Addons and security.

The problem with this shitty community is that you guys don't let this shit go, some things were in the past and some are RUMORS, get over it. For fuck's sake.. (Talking to Callum, Kodyt, Elevations mainly)

8 years, 20 weeks ago
Page: << 1 2 >>

EOSERV Forum > Client Editing > EO.Addons and security.