EOSERV Forum > Game Development > 2D RPG -Dunlore Classic
Page: << 1 >>
2D RPG -Dunlore Classic
Post #197865 2D RPG -Dunlore Classic

Hi everyone, I am not sure if you are familiar with the game Dunlore, it was released some few years ago and unfortunately shut down..

The creator might be continuing the project soon though, which I'm very excited for.

Anyway, before Beta came out there was Dunlore 1.2 Alpha, which was a singleplayer game, unlike Beta which was online.
I will be creating a clone of Dunlore 1.2 Alpha and create a small community off of that, and I hope I will see some people there when time comes :)

The game will be created in C++/Allegro 5 and MAYBE a small amount of SDL (SDL_Mixer) to play original Dunlore midi files for music as Allegro 5 doesn't support this extension, otherwise I'll just go with the .ogg files of the music that Exiled (Creator) created for me, though it doesn't sound the same it actually does sound a little more realistic.

Changelog:

-Menu State finished
-Login Window finished
-Create Window finished
-Play State (Under dev)

Videos of the game:
Video 1

-Map editor (Under work)

v0.1 Click here for a video for v0.1 of the map editor
v0.2 Click here for a video for v0.2 of the map editor

8 years, 34 weeks ago
Post #197871 Re: 2D RPG -Dunlore

Looks awesome! good luck

---
old account
8 years, 34 weeks ago
Post #197872 Re: 2D RPG -Dunlore

Thank you, I actually JUST uploaded the latest updates, which includes login and create screen :)

8 years, 34 weeks ago
Post #197890 Re: 2D RPG -Dunlore

Let us know when this is available to play, I'd love to try it out!

---
"Nurd, you're like a fucking swiss army knife" - Necrosis
8 years, 34 weeks ago
Post #197899 Re: 2D RPG -Dunlore

I definitely will, though right now I'm working to make the Map Editor better than it was before, which was both horribly coded and horrible for the person using it to use.

Next update on the map editor will be completely rewritten which will make it a lot faster and a lot more bug free and will include a GUI system instead of number keys (1,2,3,4,5, etc), as there are more than just 9 tiles to choose from lol.

Also I will have several layers for transparent tiles, objects and stuff, which then can be switched from with number keys (1,2,3,4,5, etc)

Edit:

Map Editor Update, almost finished with 1st layer, GUI done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSDTAXaYHbs

Ignore the magenta stuff, I just forgot to add transparency to that bitmap, 1 line of code, already fixed.

Edit 2:

Game Update, includes play state with a player, loading map & smooth camera movement.

Here's a video

8 years, 34 weeks ago
Post #197995 Re: 2D RPG -Dunlore Classic
matiasmunk posted: (15th Sep 2015, 11:05 pm)

I definitely will, though right now I'm working to make the Map Editor better than it was before, which was both horribly coded and horrible for the person using it to use.

Next update on the map editor will be completely rewritten which will make it a lot faster and a lot more bug free and will include a GUI system instead of number keys (1,2,3,4,5, etc), as there are more than just 9 tiles to choose from lol.

Also I will have several layers for transparent tiles, objects and stuff, which then can be switched from with number keys (1,2,3,4,5, etc)

Edit:

Map Editor Update, almost finished with 1st layer, GUI done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSDTAXaYHbs

Ignore the magenta stuff, I just forgot to add transparency to that bitmap, 1 line of code, already fixed.

Edit 2:

Game Update, includes play state with a player, loading map & smooth camera movement.

Here's a video

I like it! Has a 90s classic gaming feel to it. I'd love to play it post-release. 
---
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Why the fuck u lyin'?
8 years, 33 weeks ago
Post #198001 Re: 2D RPG -Dunlore Classic

Just stuck in a problem right now with serialization of the entity vector!

Basically in the map editor you are allowed to place tiles, objects, masks etc.. And of course monsters!

Theses monsters are pushed back into a vector which I call the entityVector.. And upon saving the map, saving the map array is simple enough, but saving the entityVector requires a bit more work as I need to serialize it and then deserialize it upon loading the map.

Right now, when saving the map, the entityVector is of course saved in the map.dat file, but upon loading the map, I can't figure out how to serialize & deserialize it properly so it won't load any of the monsters that you put in the map when you saved it!

Looking into the problem, and then the map editor is basically almost done.. And then I can focus more on the game engine itself!

Update - October, 9th 2015.

Sorry for being so long people, been trying to focus more on the game.
I finally got into networking and building a prototype Client/Server, here's current logs.

Client Log

Program initialized
Successfully allocated socket set.
Successfully resolved host to IP: 127.0.0.1:1337
Successfully resolved IP to host: Matias-PC
Connection okay, about to read connection status from the server...
There are 1 socket(s) with data on them at the moment.
Got a response from the server... 
Got the following from server: OK(3 bytes)
Joining server now...

Client shutting down

Server Log

Program initialized
Socket set allocated with size: 500, of which 499 are available for use by clients.
Successfully resolved host to IP: 0.0.0.0:1337
Successfully created the server socket.
Waiting for clients...
There are currently 1 socket(s) with data to be processed.
Found a free spot at element: 0
Client connected, there are now 1 client(s) connected.
Found a free spot at element: 1
Client connected, there are now 2 client(s) connected.
Client 0 disconnected.

Server is now connected to: 1 client(s).

Client 1 disconnected.

Server is now connected to: 0 client(s).

Server shutting down

8 years, 33 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > Game Development > 2D RPG -Dunlore Classic