Topic is locked.
Page: << 1 >>
Map theifs
Post #14587 Map theifs

Hey, it's a really big issue for me and i'm sure it is for many people, I'm sick to death of map theifs. There is a guy called scott/scotty going around on characters called (ryan, smexyme) possibly more, he is stealing maps from people are actually putting in hard hours to re-create endless soit's more appealing for others. So Sausage/Sordie/Rena or anyone else. Is there anyways to prevent this.. There is only one way i know and that is to not edit maps and keep it original. 

Anyone who steals my maps, will be IP banned for many years.

---
Endless-Online Version 18
Original Madmat
14 years, 40 weeks ago
Post #14589 Re: Map theifs

Sending a blank map file after sending map file updates should leave the user with a 0 byte file on their harddrive; though this is still possible to circumvent, it should stop casual thieves.

14 years, 40 weeks ago
Post #14592 Re: Map theifs

How would this work because, players start off on one of my new maps, the client automaticly downloads it into their endless-online maps file. How would a blank map file with 0 bytes help, Sorry i'm a little confused.

Edit - Is there a way that can stop them from copying the file from the endless-online map file and applying to their own server? I see the v.28 eo download map files can just be copied and pasted, so is it even possible to copyright maps? Like no-right click.

---
Original Madmat
14 years, 40 weeks ago
Post #14593 Re: Map theifs

Add this after any place EOSERV sends map files:

reply.Reset();
reply.AddChar(INIT_BANNED);
CLIENT_SENDRAW(reply);

I'm not sure if that will cause problems with map loading, but I'll add it as a new option on EOSERV right now.

Edit: Added it (Revision 150), don't recommend using it myself but it's there since it's a common request.

14 years, 40 weeks ago
Post #14594 Re: Map theifs

ffs...... bout time.

as soon as we have this implemented im gonna blow you all away with the best maps u ever seen.

is there anyway we can change the filetype inwhich we save the map files (.emf), and change the filetype that our server reads? that way we could make a custom client/ or just load maps of a filetype that wouldnt open on another server.

---
Web developer, currently looking for graphic artists / designers.
14 years, 40 weeks ago
Post #14595 Re: Map theifs
Klutz posted: (24th Jul 2009 11:38 am)

ffs...... bout time.

as soon as we have this implemented im gonna blow you all away with the best maps u ever seen.

is there anyway we can change the filetype inwhich we save the map files (.emf), and change the filetype that our server reads? that way we could make a custom client/ or just load maps of a filetype that wouldnt open on another server.

You sound almost demanding with your "ffs.. bout time."

You should remember this an opensource project and you could of did this yourself at anytime. >.<
14 years, 40 weeks ago
Post #14596 Re: Map theifs

Well if that works sausage thats great, but i have a Seose server not Eoserv so i guess sordie will have to code it into her next release.

---
Original Madmat
14 years, 40 weeks ago
Post #14597 Re: Map theifs

I'll suggest it to Sordie when I see her then, she'll probably have no problem with adding it, assuming I don't try make her turn it on by default.

14 years, 40 weeks ago
Post #14599 Re: Map theifs

Cool, hey sausage maybe when you got your server running at 100% i should help you remap :P I'll be pro by then. But i guess you could do it alot faster haha.

---
Original Madmat
14 years, 40 weeks ago
Post #14626 Re: Map theifs

Sausage told me about this this morning so I guess I should let you guys know I will add it and it will be available in the next release of Seose.

---
http://sordie.co.uk
http://twitter.com/@SordieEO
14 years, 40 weeks ago
Post #14657 Re: Map theifs

hope u no that wont work easy way to get past that just go on the game while in game just x out game and boom u have the map them kinds of codes are point less. just put your name in your maps or tags ect... even hidden 1s will work i can hide them easly in my maps i just dont care i make mine for public only made 3 complete 1s so far new pubs with maps freguild.homeip.net if u want to look for u self start u off...

14 years, 40 weeks ago
Post #14671 Re: Map theifs

I think they know what they are doing michael. No need to say things wont work. Have you even tried it. Anyways this topic is sorted now. It has enough said. :) You may lock.

---
Original Madmat
14 years, 40 weeks ago
Post #14701 Re: Map theifs

Well yes i do no what im doing do u i have already start remake of my pubs and all my maps are mad new from me if u dont like the truth to bad i no what im talking about i might be little new to here but not new to codeing makeing stuff i used to right my own windows when i was young before the drugs and car crashes an stuff kind messed up my mind but im relearning most and well WHAT EVER.

14 years, 40 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>
Topic is locked.