EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Unexpected Error
Page: << 1 2 >>
Unexpected Error
Post #204503 Re: Unexpected Error
Hacker_Alex posted: (26th Nov 2018, 04:53 pm)

Apollo posted: (11th Nov 2018, 08:11 pm)

Mining, fishing, and harvesting are not part of EOSERV. We don’t know who wrote those hacks for the version you are using, nor do we know how it modifies various stats in its configuration. If you downloaded a hacked version of EOSERV somewhere you will need to get help from them. We can only help with vanilla builds of EOSERV and how to configure it or add to it.

EOSERV is open source therefore a derivative work is not considered a hack.

If I was a moderator I'd -1 your post because it reveals a lot of personal thoughts that you seem to be copy pasting in every post that shows hint of this closed source derivative. It honestly makes you look like you need a therapist at this point. Well we care about you, so if you ever need to talk I'm here.

Also, nothing in the license states that it must be kept open source if edited: http://svn.eoserv.net/eoserv/trunk/LICENSE.txt

The reply has little to do with custom builds, but more to do with seeking help from the author of the hack-in. There have been several released builds containing the features listed in the original post. How can anyone possibly answer a question about configuring a feature when it is neither contained in the official build nor is the build referred to anything short of ambiguous? When you ask for help, you should first check where the source came from. If it is the official build, ask here in the form of a post. If it was from another user here, ask the user via original post reply or inbox. Lastly, if hosted on another site seek there help boards or contact their administrator for help. No one in this community can read minds or closed source projects. If it makes you sore that you are sent to find help from where the hack-ins came from then maybe you are too sensitive for this community. 
5 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #204504 Re: Unexpected Error
People are disappointing. Almost 2019 and still bashing each other on eoserv, instead of helping each other and the community grow, or at the least improve.. The staff should lead by example as well.

Just make a forum called 'Programming' or 'Server Modification' or 'Server Shit Hacks'.. It helps more than it hurts to have the forum and it's simple to do.. What is the excuse for not doing so? I always see related complaints and staff replies anyways.. Save everyone some trouble already..

'Even though having such a forum would help many people, we'd prefer not to let our members discuss such related things on our forum, because it's not standard EOServ Features.' That's what I read.

You can -1 me for being off topic, but at least I am making some damn logical sense and being fair about things. xD Also, I am not insulting anyone or calling them sensitive. You know, the way people are supposed to properly communicate.
---
EO Resources/Guides: â—„ eobud.boards.net â–º
5 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #204507 Re: Unexpected Error
shayne posted: (27th Nov 2018, 02:08 am)

People are disappointing. Almost 2019 and still bashing each other on eoserv, instead of helping each other and the community grow, or at the least improve.. The staff should lead by example as well.

Just make a forum called 'Programming' or 'Server Modification' or 'Server Shit Hacks'.. It helps more than it hurts to have the forum and it's simple to do.. What is the excuse for not doing so? I always see related complaints and staff replies anyways.. Save everyone some trouble already..

'Even though having such a forum would help many people, we'd prefer not to let our members discuss such related things on our forum, because it's not standard EOServ Features.' That's what I read.

You can -1 me for being off topic, but at least I am making some damn logical sense and being fair about things. xD Also, I am not insulting anyone or calling them sensitive. You know, the way people are supposed to properly communicate.

Why have you not read the original post and the first reply? If you had followed the thread at all, I simply said the problem can not be solved in the public forum scenario due to the ambiguity of where the build came from and how it must be configured. The next reply from was from the OP and had zero relation to the problem first posted. After that, Callum chimed it because I suppose he is responsible for that distribution and is already pissy at me assuming I have some grudge against custom coding. Now late in the topic you want to chime in and cast more blame. So you want lead by example? I was the first one to reply. I could not help him due to having little information about the build, so I suggested he seek help where he got the build. I did not see anything relevant or in a reasonable time frame from any of the off-topic critiques. I am sorry if the wording is to the point and may have seemed harsh, but given the original post alone, explain to me how you possibly could have solved his problem. 
5 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #204509 Re: Unexpected Error

I have read all the posts, which is the only reason I replied in the first place. Why have you assumed I have not read? Assumption is bad! You can assume what ever you wish though. I am not taking sides, attacking any one, nor you. I am also not assuming anything, I am stating facts. The problem could be solved in a public forum scenario, if there was still a related forum to post it in, like programming, or server modification/editing/hacks/w.e.. That's really the main point. Why was that locked again?! Still pondering that one. The fact that the programming forum is locked, is another reason of why it is harder to help people with custom server builds/modifications/coding..

Not to be rude, but I don't know why you're telling me what other people stated here, I've read it. I find your assumption of me not reading to be rude. xD I know some have acted rude towards you, but you respond the same, but in a 'nicer' way I'd describe it. Their behavior is not a valid excuse to act similar. The fact is I constantly see people asking for help with custom builds, and I constantly see you responding to them saying we cannot help you. Make a forum for it already, and save yourself the trouble of having to reply to 'server hacking' related discussion, if you don't want to discuss it or can't help. It would save you and staff trouble, and the community/members can help each other, while you don't have to bother. Problem solved for everyone.

I find it funny how you're saying I'm 'casting blame'. xD All I am doing is 'casting' facts. I can assure you I'm not casting blame spells on you! I have no problem with you at all.. In fact, I appreciate the things you have done here. It's obvious some people are being dicks to you, just like it's obvious to me, you're responding poorly and rudely to some of them. Anyways.. What makes sense to me, is instead of you having to reply to these custom server build questions all the time just to say you cannot help them, create a forum like programming so the community can deal with it and help each other. Or would you rather have to continuously answer these duplicate questions and have people shit post you for it? Makes no sense to me. It seems silly eoserv does not have a programming section anymore, or something similar at the least. Where R U Sausage?!

---
EO Resources/Guides: â—„ eobud.boards.net â–º
5 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #204510 Re: Unexpected Error

It’s a shame sausage is dead set on keeping this forum for eoserv, even if it means killing it... I normally hate this idea, but it’d be nice to have a lounge back! The community  has dwindled so much it’s hard to even kee an eoserv topic open for more than 10 decent replies which is sad.

Apollo you are salty and I’d confidently say it puts other people off posting. 

5 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #204511 Re: Unexpected Error
callum posted: (27th Nov 2018, 08:34 am)

It’s a shame sausage is dead set on keeping this forum for eoserv, even if it means killing it... I normally hate this idea, but it’d be nice to have a lounge back! The community  has dwindled so much it’s hard to even kee an eoserv topic open for more than 10 decent replies which is sad.

Apollo you are salty and I’d confidently say it puts other people off posting. 

You are making up your own intonation when you read my post. There was nothing salty. I mean, if it helps you can read my replies in the voice of Lara Croft. To address the multi-forum split Shayne proposed, hack-in build discussion is perfectly ok here. The sticky rules even detail that, however the sticky rules also stated discussion requires denotation of the specific build. If he would have identified the build was the one Callum released via topic subject or body, I could have merely suggested to inbox Callum just in case the topic gets bumped down. Inboxing gives a notification at least. No two people create exactly the same code that works exactly the same way. I do try to answer a good deal of posts to help people that can be helped, even if I notice a question is left unanswered after several replies. A recent example of this was a lpthread issue in newer revisions of EOSERV throwing compiling errors. I went back and had to compile the thing from scratch to figure out the problem because there were lots of replies and no direct answer. I firmly believe issues are black and white, and being direct sometimes sounds salty, but other times kind. The difference being was the message able to solve your issue. If the reply was negative, some of you apply negative intonation to it, and that is fine because everyone can have their own opinions, but in actuality, I only answer posts in a direct manner. I apply no tone to what I type, that is the end user. Anyway, I have said enough about this.
5 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #204516 Re: Unexpected Error
Apollo posted: (26th Nov 2018, 08:31 pm)

Mining, fishing, and harvesting are not part of EOSERV. We don’t know who wrote those hacks for the version you are using, nor do we know how it modifies various stats in its configuration. If you downloaded a hacked version of EOSERV somewhere you will need to get help from them. We can only help with vanilla builds of EOSERV and how to configure it or add to it.

If I was a moderator I'd -1 your post because it reveals a lot of personal thoughts that you seem to be copy pasting in every post that shows hint of this closed source derivative. It honestly makes you look like you need a therapist at this point. Well we care about you, so if you ever need to talk I'm here.

Also, nothing in the license states that it must be kept open source if edited: http://svn.eoserv.net/eoserv/trunk/LICENSE.txt

The reply has little to do with custom builds, but more to do with seeking help from the author of the hack-in. There have been several released builds containing the features listed in the original post. How can anyone possibly answer a question about configuring a feature when it is neither contained in the official build nor is the build referred to anything short of ambiguous? When you ask for help, you should first check where the source came from. If it is the official build, ask here in the form of a post. If it was from another user here, ask the user via original post reply or inbox. Lastly, if hosted on another site seek there help boards or contact their administrator for help. No one in this community can read minds or closed source projects. If it makes you sore that you are sent to find help from where the hack-ins came from then maybe you are too sensitive for this community. 

Well, in essence we have a problem: There's a stable flow of users seeking help for customized EOSERV builds, and according to your guidelines this isnt the forum to request that sort of help in, it's only for vanilla eoserv.

So what's the solution? Can we make a forum section called "Customized Revision Support" or of the sort?

If not, we clearly need the EOSERV forum description to state that it's only for issues with vanilla builds downloaded from https://eoserv.net/download

Lastly, I think we can all agree that what triggered us about your post was the use of the word "hack", and the lack of brevity. Could've just answered saying:

"Sorry this forum is for requesting support for the official EOSERV build only. The official build does not contain mining. Please consult the distributor of your source."

and honestly just locked the thread.

But that's just my idea of it.

---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
5 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #204518 Re: Unexpected Error
Hacker_Alex posted: (27th Nov 2018, 10:40 pm)

Apollo posted: (26th Nov 2018, 08:31 pm)

Well, in essence we have a problem: There's a stable flow of users seeking help for customized EOSERV builds, and according to your guidelines this isnt the forum to request that sort of help in, it's only for vanilla eoserv.

So what's the solution? Can we make a forum section called "Customized Revision Support" or of the sort?

If not, we clearly need the EOSERV forum description to state that it's only for issues with vanilla builds downloaded from https://eoserv.net/download

Lastly, I think we can all agree that what triggered us about your post was the use of the word "hack", and the lack of brevity. Could've just answered saying:

"Sorry this forum is for requesting support for the official EOSERV build only. The official build does not contain mining. Please consult the distributor of your source."

and honestly just locked the thread.

But that's just my idea of it.

You do not really understand the irony of being offended by the word hack while your username includes it. Hack-in is exactly what custom features that are manipulations of existing features are. There are hundreds if not thousands of rom-hacks of existing older games running on emulators producing varied results that were not intended by the developer. Since neither the source material nor the emulation contain any of the mentioned features, or the possible bugs as referenced in the OP, those add-ons must be considered hacks. I understand you want to be a social justice warrior, but look at your own replies to posts. They are either weeks later, off-topic, social justice, or misinformation that typically does not apply to or aid the actual help topic. As a matter of fact, at least Shayne and Callum have made contributions to this community, I am having trouble remembering anything you have ever contributed other than a bi-weekly spamming of post-replies. I am not sure why you reworded my reply to say the exact same thing either, just more chain-pulling I suppose. Why not you see if you can answer the next post requesting help and actually provide help?
5 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #204519 Re: Unexpected Error

Open up the lounge if you're going to circle jerk like this. Where's Moonie when you need her?

---
The good times are killing me.
−1 Rated by Apollo 5 years, 22 weeks ago
Post #204533 Re: Unexpected Error

I mean just the sheer fact that you've decided to defend yourself instead of locking this thread, it shows something you're not content with. So yes there is something to be fixed here. That last reply was a complete bash to me and uncalled for because I'm just trying to solve problems so that everyone can get along. I'm not trying to hurt you, and what everyone else is saying is they are sick of getting hurt by your comments.

Well people need to be who they are. Clearly you're not even meaning harm and we're all incorrectly interpreting what you're saying because we didn't understand what a hack means to you. Everyone I honestly think we should give apollo a chance and re-evaluate his reply. He was just trying to help the OP out by pointing out that they are using a custom build as well as enforce the forum rules and nothing in between the lines that we thought we saw.

I got tired of thinking I should change for people in life. It's not right, so I stand by apollo in this one, to say that we need to be more optimistic when reading his posts. Hey if his posts force you to think outside the box a bit, that's a good mental exercise for creativity.

---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
5 years, 21 weeks ago
Page: << 1 2 >>

EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Unexpected Error