EOSERV Forum > EO Server Building > New Maps, once again
Page: << 1 2 >>
New Maps, once again
Post #202814 Re: New Maps, once again
PANDAMONIOM posted: (10th Mar 2017, 05:49 pm)

Viewing the maps again got me in the mood to give it a go. I only made the template cause I'm lazy when it comes to mapping.

If you want the map itself: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=63999481212989056546

..I want to ride a boat down that river
---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202815 Re: New Maps, once again
Acemasta posted: (10th Mar 2017, 05:49 pm)

Personally, I think you should add a bit more detail in the water and on land both. On land, you could throw a few more trees and mushrooms next to those trees. Put a bit more dirt and flowers around the area. There are also object based flowers between 3 or 4 different colors (can't remember for sure) that can be put around as well. There are a ton of different sizes and shapes of trees of the same type/design that you can use. In the water, you could add a bit more cattails around, maybe some leaves here and there, but really only within 10 tiles of land (walkable areas). Due to the client not allowing you to see more than 10 tiles in any direction at the furthest, so there's no real point in adding any detail outside that range.

A few things here -- The map is incredibly detailed as is, and in reality you don't walk around and see flowers and everything jam packed into an area, especially on what looks to be a remotely located area.

The cattails wouldn't fit a map like that, it looks like a clean-kept lake area, and EOs cattails are specifically a swampy/mossy style.

7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202835 Re: New Maps, once again
Destiny posted: (10th Mar 2017, 06:32 pm)

Acemasta posted: (10th Mar 2017, 05:49 pm)

Personally, I think you should add a bit more detail in the water and on land both. On land, you could throw a few more trees and mushrooms next to those trees. Put a bit more dirt and flowers around the area. There are also object based flowers between 3 or 4 different colors (can't remember for sure) that can be put around as well. There are a ton of different sizes and shapes of trees of the same type/design that you can use. In the water, you could add a bit more cattails around, maybe some leaves here and there, but really only within 10 tiles of land (walkable areas). Due to the client not allowing you to see more than 10 tiles in any direction at the furthest, so there's no real point in adding any detail outside that range.

A few things here -- The map is incredibly detailed as is, and in reality you don't walk around and see flowers and everything jam packed into an area, especially on what looks to be a remotely located area.

The cattails wouldn't fit a map like that, it looks like a clean-kept lake area, and EOs cattails are specifically a swampy/mossy style.

Actually, due to you only being able to see within a 10-tile radius, you should fit in around 10 or so different types of things on the screen. When it comes to the entire map being put on a screenshot like this, it may look like it's well detailed. However, if you were to open it up in a client and walk around on this map, a lot of areas would look barren, with you only seeing one or two trees, and a lot of grass that are actually the same tile of grass. Looking at the map as a whole is different, and you can see a lot of detail.

This is an old guide that was used a while back to showcase how much detail you should use on your maps:

https://eoserv.net/forum/topic/10265

However, sad to say it seems as though the screenshots that went with this guide have probably been dead for years. Unsure what Klutz used to post them, but it isn't alive anymore.

As for the cattails, I could see them flowing with this map fairly well, but then, I'm personally not really around lakes or rivers or anything often at all, seeing as I live in a desert region area and there's nothing like that anywhere near me, and most of the places that have water that I've seen have a ton of them everywhere, so it just seems natural to me for them to be in the water. So I guess that just goes with not having enough knowledge of large bodies of water. I will say there are still a ton of different things you can put in water.
(Though it doesn't seem lakeish to me for these maps. Feels more like it's ocean with a chain of islands in it).

Another thing is that in the first map at the most south-western part of the land it's extremely barren, whilst the north-eastern part of the land is very well detailed. As well as the most eastern part. There's an uneven balance of amount of detail in one part of the map as compared to another part of the map. It's also a little like this on the second map as well. There are some "islands" that have great detail and look gorgeous, but then there are other "islands" that are far too barren and have absolutely nothing to look at except the road itself and a splatter of dirt.

7 years, 7 weeks ago
Page: << 1 2 >>

EOSERV Forum > EO Server Building > New Maps, once again