Page: << 1 2 >>
My swamp map
Post #202482 My swamp map

First post here, have lurked for years and finally decided I wanted to make my own server. Started on a swamp map, the other maps aren't really important but tell me what you guys think / like and what I could improve on! http://imgur.com/uMEpMCb

7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202485 Re: My swamp map

It looks pretty great but my only concerns would be the book you have placed on the map, the odd water split, and the shrubs/tree trunks in the water(or ice??)

7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202492 Re: My swamp map
damis posted: (15th Feb 2017, 11:48 pm)

It looks pretty great but my only concerns would be the book you have placed on the map, the odd water split, and the shrubs/tree trunks in the water(or ice??)

Well, the swamp doesn't really have any textures to fix those, so making it was pretty tricky but I'll look into sharpening it up. As for the "ice" no, it's just the darker swamp water that might look like ice due to the screen-shotting software. As far as the bushes and stuff go, I was trying to appeal to a more swamp type of water, where the tree's and growth sometimes sprout straight from the water. On top of all of this, I've yet to add shadows. Thanks for your feedback though!
7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202496 Re: My swamp map
Holystone posted: (16th Feb 2017, 02:35 am)

damis posted: (15th Feb 2017, 11:48 pm)

Well, the swamp doesn't really have any textures to fix those, so making it was pretty tricky but I'll look into sharpening it up. As for the "ice" no, it's just the darker swamp water that might look like ice due to the screen-shotting software. As far as the bushes and stuff go, I was trying to appeal to a more swamp type of water, where the tree's and growth sometimes sprout straight from the water. On top of all of this, I've yet to add shadows. Thanks for your feedback though!

I love the dark green grass added into the water, however, the light green bushes I don't think are suitable. :P I'd like to see a finished product that's polished up.
7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202497 Re: My swamp map

Wow looks great! I like how the lighter water shows how the depth changes. I'd love to see more from you and potentially be a regular on your server in the future! ;)

7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202499 Re: My swamp map

Oh my lord , this is a masterpiece mister.Thank you lord for letting me witness this priceless art.This day should be always remembered as a historic turning point in the field of art.This is the day when leonardo da vinci and pablo picasso wondered in fear what will happen when you take their places.  

7 years, 7 weeks ago
Post #202526 Re: My swamp map
Evoreclaimer posted: (16th Feb 2017, 03:46 am)

Wow looks great! I like how the lighter water shows how the depth changes. I'd love to see more from you and potentially be a regular on your server in the future! ;)

You're kidding, right? Like I'm not trying to diss this swamp map, because it's decent. I don't know if there's enough detail on the ground itself. However, the water change? I mean, I agree it helps to identify the depth change, but the lighter water should be the water closer to land, for one. Two, just blatantly leaving them changing the way they are is crappy. GRANTED, it is strictly because there are no water tiles to truly alternate between the two, however there are ways you can fix that.

Example (Old map that was originally used for Chibi EO):

7 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #202533 Re: My swamp map
Acemasta posted: (21st Feb 2017, 07:01 am)

Evoreclaimer posted: (16th Feb 2017, 03:46 am)

You're kidding, right? Like I'm not trying to diss this swamp map, because it's decent. I don't know if there's enough detail on the ground itself. However, the water change? I mean, I agree it helps to identify the depth change, but the lighter water should be the water closer to land, for one. Two, just blatantly leaving them changing the way they are is crappy. GRANTED, it is strictly because there are no water tiles to truly alternate between the two, however there are ways you can fix that.

Example (Old map that was originally used for Chibi EO):

Do you think it would be better to cover up the direct part where the water changes with some type of object such as the cat-tail grass or some brush? Appreciate the feedback though. As for the grass, what kind of detail adding did you have in mind?
7 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #202538 Re: My swamp map

To be honest, there's no real efficient way to cover up the deepness effect, due to lack of gfx mixing them together. As for the detail on the ground, it's really kinda hard to do on the swamp maps, honestly, because there's not too many gfx made for the swamp itself and I haven't personally played around with the swamp areas enough to give good enough feedback on that. I mostly try to keep away from the swamp areas with original gfx.

7 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #202540 Re: My swamp map
Acemasta posted: (22nd Feb 2017, 12:29 am)

To be honest, there's no real efficient way to cover up the deepness effect, due to lack of gfx mixing them together. As for the detail on the ground, it's really kinda hard to do on the swamp maps, honestly, because there's not too many gfx made for the swamp itself and I haven't personally played around with the swamp areas enough to give good enough feedback on that. I mostly try to keep away from the swamp areas with original gfx.

A long time ago I was working on alleviating issues between transitioning two different tile sets for numerous instances. Basically just was taking the grass/dirt transition and repixeling but I agree with you.

Also did some work with stava on something similar to this.

But anyways, there was never much made for either New swamp or the old one. Old one had more going on for dirt and new had the water, but they were really lacking in objects.

Edit: If the square shadow was the perfect size of each tile, it would be a lot easier to transition water between dark/light, but sadly if I remember correctly it is isn't.

---
Former multi-server mapper.
7 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #202541 Re: My swamp map

I just recently finished the rest of the maps that connect with this one, along with certain updates to this map in general. Will release them in some kind of post in the next few days when I get the time to screen cap them and throw them together. I'll add a few different versions of the first map to see what you guys think. 

7 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #202542 Re: My swamp map

Are you using emf2png? It's a great and easy program that allows you to just select a map and it'll give you a full picture of that map.

7 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #202544 Re: My swamp map
Acemasta posted: (22nd Feb 2017, 08:01 am)

Are you using emf2png? It's a great and easy program that allows you to just select a map and it'll give you a full picture of that map.

I don't think so, I have been using the screenshot tool from the Eosource Tools page, the one made by Clive, which is giving me issues because sometimes it'll just cut half my map off in the screen. I can't seem to find an official link to what you're talking about though, could you give me a link?
7 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #202545 Re: My swamp map

Found a re-release of emf2png from a few years ago since Desmond's site is shutdown(very sad about that honestly). 

This link here should work.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/r6ila388eayf9yy/emf2png.exe

7 years, 6 weeks ago
Post #202546 Re: My swamp map

Desmond actually also put it in a dropbox which is always useful too, for anyone else.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d39tm5m9a6k7on8/emf2png.zip

7 years, 6 weeks ago
Page: << 1 2 >>