EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > What is the best VPS for EOSERV hosting?
Page: << 1 >>
What is the best VPS for EOSERV hosting?
Post #202068 What is the best VPS for EOSERV hosting?

I want to buy a VPS, but I don't want to buy a too expensive one if I don't need too. I remember hearing once you could host a server for just like 512MB-1GB of RAM? If so, how many players, and at what ping would the server be at if there was like 512MB?

Also, can you host on LINUX?!

I'm considering buying a VPS on this site: https://ca.ovh.com/en

7 years, 16 weeks ago
Post #202070 Re: What is the best VPS for EOSERV hosting?

I'd go with somewhere like virmach if you want to host a cheap and affordable VPS. It's very simple to setup, they have options for Windows 2008 and 2012, centos 7, and many others. My game has 1gb of ram and 40 gb SSD, avg about 15 people on when it's up. 15 isn't too many, but they don't lag now. 30-60 ms.

Virmach can host Linux and Windows, and I believe 512mb is like $8 a month for Windows and $5.99 or something for Linux.

The biggest trouble I see with running a Linux based EO server is you can't boot up your executables if you need 'em.

7 years, 16 weeks ago
Post #202072 Re: What is the best VPS for EOSERV hosting?

You don't have to buy an expensive one.  I plan on running an eoserv on:

which would be fine. $10.00 / month with linode.  The ping would depend a lot on where your VPS is located as well as network out/in.  Mostly where your VPS is located though.  So someone farther away will have a higher ping, as opposed to someone living beside the data centre.

Yes you can host on linux, theirs build's for linux on EOsource's website if you use that, and you can build EOSERV to run on linux as well.

In terms of the hosting provider you mentioned, it looks fine, i believe i looked at them while selecting a provider as well.  Reviews aren't bad.  I ended up going with linode after my journey of selecting a VPS.

They have packages that meet everyone's needs, a fantastic support team, and everything is fast.  Their also great when it comes to data centre issues too.  Never had payment issues or overcharges.

When i hosted with linode almost a year ago, i'd get pings around 50-110ms, while hosting 2-3 websites too.  I believe Sausage uses linode as his provider for eoserv.net and his clone too.

@Damis - considering a linux server is usually all command line/ssh based, you can use filezilla to transfer files to and from the VPS (So you edit your stuff on your windows PC at home and when you've done your changes u just move them over.  By using linux you're also not using up as much resources considering theirs no GUI to run, as opposed to windows.

7 years, 16 weeks ago
Post #202077 Re: What is the best VPS for EOSERV hosting?
perfect posted: (7th Jan 2017, 01:22 am)

which would be fine. $10.00 / month with linode.  The ping would depend a lot on where your VPS is located as well as network out/in.  Mostly where your VPS is located though.  So someone farther away will have a higher ping, as opposed to someone living beside the data centre.

Yes you can host on linux, theirs build's for linux on EOsource's website if you use that, and you can build EOSERV to run on linux as well.

In terms of the hosting provider you mentioned, it looks fine, i believe i looked at them while selecting a provider as well.  Reviews aren't bad.  I ended up going with linode after my journey of selecting a VPS.

They have packages that meet everyone's needs, a fantastic support team, and everything is fast.  Their also great when it comes to data centre issues too.  Never had payment issues or overcharges.

When i hosted with linode almost a year ago, i'd get pings around 50-110ms, while hosting 2-3 websites too.  I believe Sausage uses linode as his provider for eoserv.net and his clone too.

@Damis - considering a linux server is usually all command line/ssh based, you can use filezilla to transfer files to and from the VPS (So you edit your stuff on your windows PC at home and when you've done your changes u just move them over.  By using linux you're also not using up as much resources considering theirs no GUI to run, as opposed to windows.

I hadn't even seen Linode while searching for VPS providers, and I searched for weeks. Nice find. Seems to be reliable. I'm using Virmach and find it's wonderful.

As for a GUI, running my server on a VPS using Windows 2012 VPS I don't run any GUI, my players run a steady ping ranged 30-60 which in my eyes is very well kept, even the Brazilian players aren't too far off with sitting up in the 70-90 range which I also think is well-kept.

If I had known that there was the option to build EOServ based around Linux I may have considered it, however, I opted for the Windows variation and am pretty content with it. To each their own, I suppose.

7 years, 16 weeks ago
Post #202082 Re: What is the best VPS for EOSERV hosting?
damis posted: (7th Jan 2017, 03:26 am)

perfect posted: (7th Jan 2017, 01:22 am)

I hadn't even seen Linode while searching for VPS providers, and I searched for weeks. Nice find. Seems to be reliable. I'm using Virmach and find it's wonderful.

As for a GUI, running my server on a VPS using Windows 2012 VPS I don't run any GUI, my players run a steady ping ranged 30-60 which in my eyes is very well kept, even the Brazilian players aren't too far off with sitting up in the 70-90 range which I also think is well-kept.

If I had known that there was the option to build EOServ based around Linux I may have considered it, however, I opted for the Windows variation and am pretty content with it. To each their own, I suppose.

thats odd.  When searching for VPS reviews usually 97% of the time linode is mentioned in them.  As for building the source, i find theirs more support/guides for building via windows/codeblocks then their is for building on linux.  Their is a guide in the wiki, however i find it's missing some stuff and the layout is a little bit difficult to follow.  I had to do a few different things to successfully compile that weren't in the guide, and a small fix to the code that stopped me from booting my server back up after a restart (half open connections keeping port 8078 in use, cant remember the exact terminology sausage had used.

Glad you found a reliable hosting provider!
7 years, 16 weeks ago
Post #202084 Re: What is the best VPS for EOSERV hosting?

Honestly I don't understand why more people don't host on linux. It's SO much easier than configuring on Windows, since you can just sudo apt-get (or yum or whatever PM) all the required dependencies.

1. svn co the repo
  2. ./configure (chmod 755 ./configure if you need to)
  3. make EOSERV debug=0 MYSQL=1 (or whatever compilation flags you want)
  4. copy over pub/map/config files
  5. set up database
  6. ./eoserv
  7. ...?
  8. profit

I self-host on a Centos 7 VM with 1GB of RAM, no SSDs in my server tho :( It runs MariaDB locally and a bunch of other crap and doesn't even come close to full memory usage, so 512mb is totally doable. Having a desktop/GUI might stretch your resources thinner, but knowing your way around a bash terminal is an excellent life skill.

---
class EOSERV {
Programmer | Oldbie
Open source EO Client: https://github.com/ethanmoffat/EndlessClient
};
7 years, 16 weeks ago
Post #202086 Re: What is the best VPS for EOSERV hosting?
ethanmoffat posted: (7th Jan 2017, 05:27 am)

Honestly I don't understand why more people don't host on linux. It's SO much easier than configuring on Windows, since you can just sudo apt-get (or yum or whatever PM) all the required dependencies.

1. svn co the repo
  2. ./configure (chmod 755 ./configure if you need to)
  3. make EOSERV debug=0 MYSQL=1 (or whatever compilation flags you want)
  4. copy over pub/map/config files
  5. set up database
  6. ./eoserv
  7. ...?
  8. profit

I self-host on a Centos 7 VM with 1GB of RAM, no SSDs in my server tho :( It runs MariaDB locally and a bunch of other crap and doesn't even come close to full memory usage, so 512mb is totally doable. Having a desktop/GUI might stretch your resources thinner, but knowing your way around a bash terminal is an excellent life skill.

It took me all of 5 minutes to configure for Windows..

7 years, 16 weeks ago
Post #202087 Re: What is the best VPS for EOSERV hosting?

I found myself asking this same question a few months back and can honestly say I tried a few different sites and a mix of Linux/Windows on them.. But I gotta agree with Effan, I'm currently using Linux and honestly wouldn't think about changing it anytime soon. I found it confusing at first but now I can edit what I need to just as easy as opening a notepad on Windows.

It really depends on what you want though, If it's just for EOSERV and you just want to be able to remote desktop then I don't see why you shouldn't choose Windows? I personally use Linux as I find it's better for hosting other games I play, but I do find EOSERV is easier to manage on Linux (and much easier to compile).

but yeah tldr; If you're budget I'd recommend getting a low spec Linux as it will be cheaper and more than likely run better. But if you just want it easy might aswell stick with Windows.

7 years, 16 weeks ago
Post #202088 Re: What is the best VPS for EOSERV hosting?

I used Greencloudvps in the past

7 years, 16 weeks ago
Post #202094 Re: What is the best VPS for EOSERV hosting?

Where is most of the Endless Online player base? and where would it be most beneficial to host it at for all players.

7 years, 16 weeks ago
Post #202132 Re: What is the best VPS for EOSERV hosting?
wesly posted: (7th Jan 2017, 07:38 am)

I used Greencloudvps in the past

Gave GreenCloudVps a try; after cancelling my VPS, things that i had accidentally left on the VPS started to come back online randomly, like someone was goofing around with the stuff i left.

I've written 2 customer service tickets to them, in hope that they stop fucking around with cancelled VPS's.

I do not recommend this company at all, very poor behavior.
7 years, 15 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > What is the best VPS for EOSERV hosting?