EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Optimizing ping?
Page: << 1 >>
Optimizing ping?
Post #202026 Optimizing ping?

I have internet speeds of 150 download, 50 upload now, and just a few hours ago it was 60 download, UP to 8 upload, and with this new internet service there doesn't seem to be any significant different in peoples pings. What way can I optimize this? Is there anyway to change the way connections work in that way through config settings or anything?

7 years, 13 weeks ago
Post #202028 Re: Optimizing ping?

Is your server using a wired internet connection or wireless?

Wireless can add ping, likewise a slow or old network adapter, or without the right drivers for it, could slow down your wired connection, I would suggest running a speedtest.net and then checking your speed again on a wired connection.

Further, depending on where your players are in the world, and where you are, will impact ping between server / client. Hosting in the USA with players in Europe for example, would be a higher ping than in the same continent, not really much you can do about that, apart from moving the server closer to the clients.

Open Resource Monitor on Windows and see if anything is using up a lot of your connection, a background service like an auto-update or constant connection for example could alter your speeds.

If you are connecting to the server from the same machine to play, or an internal network machine, perhaps change your config host to 127.0.0.1 or 192.168.*.* and connect directly to your server, on some routers, the loop created by routing a home connecting through your DNS and back through your router, can cause some issues.

---
Host of a blacklisted server...
7 years, 13 weeks ago
Post #202030 Re: Optimizing ping?

a server hosted in new jersey has better pings for people in northamerica than one hosted in cali

---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
7 years, 13 weeks ago
Post #202033 Re: Optimizing ping?

It's also worth noting that if your server has any "expensive" operations running, AKA poorly optimized code that shouldn't be running on a single-threaded server program like EOSERV, it will generate lag for everyone online.

I don't know if you're using vanilla EOSERV or something else. Other revisions probably will have some bad code in there somewhere.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
7 years, 13 weeks ago
Post #202034 Re: Optimizing ping?

It's nothing to worry about anymore, I appreciate the help from each of you, I just set it to a New Jersey based VPS and people are holding 30-60 ping now. :) 

7 years, 13 weeks ago
Post #202052 Re: Optimizing ping?
damis posted: (5th Jan 2017, 02:12 am)

It's nothing to worry about anymore, I appreciate the help from each of you, I just set it to a New Jersey based VPS and people are holding 30-60 ping now. :) 

Awesome!!!! I'm glad I could help damis! :)
---
I not hacker

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein : Really Great Quote Ramy!
7 years, 12 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Optimizing ping?