EOSERV Forum > Game Development > The Z Axis, Adding Height to EO
Page: << 1 >>
The Z Axis, Adding Height to EO
Post #199732 The Z Axis, Adding Height to EO

Having done maps for a long time, I realized that one of the major limitations to EO was a lack of an expansion beyond the XY grid. While obviously in an isometric 2d game, it can provide 3d-esque views such as via shadows, shading, and whatnot. 

Anyways, there already exists a way to somewhat break the 3rd axis that is already in the EO client. If you are ever blocked from view by a wall or object your character sprite still shows up. A similar mechanic could thus allow for tiles and objects to be "grayed" out underneath.

Obviously this would also present other features needed to be added such as an actual functioning Z access and updated grid/minimap system, and things like new sprites for walking at slants, etc. 

So, for example, on the image below the center tile would be either 2,2,0 ; 2,2,1 ; or 2,2,2 depending on elevation. Just a rough concept, but I have yet to see it implemented in any Isometric game.

---
Former multi-server mapper.
8 years, 3 weeks ago
Post #199733 Re: The Z Axis, Adding Height to EO

is not that a slide?

---
Remember when is not an organization nor a fucking group , it's simply an idea that we believe in
and live for.
The priority of Remember when should come before oxygen , as oxygen is cosmetic even life itself is
cosmetic,that's why offer our worthless lives to The "Remember when"
8 years, 3 weeks ago
Post #199735 Re: The Z Axis, Adding Height to EO

If that's how you see it, I guess that's your opinion. But frankly it's basically the same thing as doing (Below), but without having to extend a map further out, and allowing for more.

---
Former multi-server mapper.
8 years, 3 weeks ago
Post #199737 Re: The Z Axis, Adding Height to EO

It sounds neat, but I feel like it would have very limited usefulness. How often does a full plane above the one other players are on make sense? How would you render floor tiles and players above you? If they're completely invisible, they may as well just be on a different map.

The most interesting and sane use I can see for it is bridges. If vertical distance played a role in game mechanics (like shooting down at things off of a ledge), then it could be part of that too, but that wouldn't benefit from greying out lower levels or hiding upper levels.

Also moving this to Game Development since this is way outside the realm of EO.

8 years, 3 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > Game Development > The Z Axis, Adding Height to EO