Page: << 1 >>
Blox
Post #199437 Blox

I am creating a game similar to bejewled , candy crush with my own twist, I am basicly trying to remove all the elements that piss me off in each game such as the timer system and the fact that the blocks have to be lined up in groups of 3 to get removed. In bejewled the timer keeps running level after level with no time bonus "WHAT" I think you should be able to get a time bonus for clearing a certain amount of blocks or level ect, I think if a block is connected to a group that has 3 or more its getting removed as well <.<. I want to create a level system similar to candy crush but if you look it up alot of people get mad because they feel the only way to advance is by paying to unlock achievements hmmm.

I need some help with graphics and game concepts!

#1: Graphics remake current,640x480 px backgrounds<title screen,menu screen,ingame screen>,  32x32 px special blocks<hour glass,lightning bolt,multi-colored random,open for suggestions??>.

#2: Game concepts what you would like to see in a game like this,and what has pissed you off about similar games.

#3: Music and sound: sound effects<block drop,block move,blocks explode,timer running out>, music<none, open for suggestions??>.

Game Info:

Name: Blox

Concept: Destroy as many blocks as you can as fast as you can to get to higher more difficult levels. I am still working on multi session concepts competitions and leveling system.

Source: Coded in C++ using SDL 1.2 for graphics,Irrklang 1.4 for audio, and some familiar files such as EOSERV's util,console,and config files for convenience.

Downloads:<Binary,Source> comming soon.

ScreenShots/graphics:

Current blox

Block container

Random screen shot

8 years, 11 weeks ago
Post #199443 Re: Blox

I know in one of the versions of Bejeweled there is a mode that there is always 1-2 options available no matter what. However, when you get that short on moves, it always cycles in to the top which is kind of a bummer. I suppose you could probably add in some very rare gem that when swapped it randomizes the whole board, or of that color, etc. 

You could also try doing some stuff like Puzzle Pirates where you can have multiplayer etc., and make it more similar to Columns/Tetris -esque. 

Other than that, the only thing I would say is that those black/white blocks should probably be a tad smaller so they are not literally connected to each other. Just seems a bit weird.

---
Former multi-server mapper.
8 years, 11 weeks ago
Post #199445 Re: Blox
Misca posted: (5th Feb 2016, 05:40 am)

I know in one of the versions of Bejeweled there is a mode that there is always 1-2 options available no matter what. However, when you get that short on moves, it always cycles in to the top which is kind of a bummer. I suppose you could probably add in some very rare gem that when swapped it randomizes the whole board, or of that color, etc. 

You could also try doing some stuff like Puzzle Pirates where you can have multiplayer etc., and make it more similar to Columns/Tetris -esque. 

Other than that, the only thing I would say is that those black/white blocks should probably be a tad smaller so they are not literally connected to each other. Just seems a bit weird.

Yes :D I like the random block idea thats great I'll add that to the needed gfx files. The Grey and black blocks are walls. I'm thinking the only way to destroy those are with the bomb block?? Do you think I should just mix the hold board if there is no moves or?
8 years, 11 weeks ago
Post #199448 Re: Blox

I think there was a huge controversy (ie internet shouting matches) related to candy crush where the current publisher basically stole the idea from the guy who actually made it and marketed as their own. Then sued that guy (IIRC?), won, and basically ruined him. But made tons of money off his idea.

So that I don't like :P

I probably don't need to say this, but if you're making a game like that, keep microtransactions out. They're the worst. Mobile gaming is pretty much ruined because of it.

---
class EOSERV {
Programmer | Oldbie
Open source EO Client: https://github.com/ethanmoffat/EndlessClient
};
8 years, 11 weeks ago
Post #199466 Re: Blox

A little update I finished the block matching filling and level timers + worked in time bonuses for extended block matches more than 5 block sequences will get 1 second per extra block.

I could still use help in the graphics department!

@Ethanmoffat I dont think I will allow people to buy packages or what not. I used to play mafia wars on myspace a few years back shitty game that got me hooked and i couldnt level up "you only had so much energy per day" anymore so i would dump $20 here $20 there prolly about $100 overall and ended up in the same boat people with the same level as me that spent more $$ kept kicken my ass Unfair as hell.

8 years, 10 weeks ago
Post #199468 Re: Blox

I'll take a shot at some gfx when and if I get a chance based on my school/work schedule. 

---
Former multi-server mapper.
8 years, 10 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>