EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Client Version
Page: << 1 >>
Client Version
Post #199039 Client Version

The client version is signified clientside as 0.000.xxx. EOSERV is pulling xxx and using this number to perform the version check.

What I would love to know is, are the first 0 and/or the middle 000 usable to create an expanded expression of the current client version?
For example, instead of incrementing from 0.000.031, having a version number like 0.031.001 for an update that didn't change the version number but did provide a required update.

I noticed that before performing the version check, EOSERV grabs the following from the packet.

reader.GetChar();
reader.GetChar();
this->version = reader.GetChar();

It appears to be grabbing that 0 and 000 prior to what is currently considered the "Version" number. Am I correct in this assumption or am I nuts?
If this is the case, then I may just need to work out how to hex edit those other values. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Cute, 1000th post.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #199040 Re: Client Version

Maybe it's not about versions after all if you printed the 2xchar being sent from the client before the version .you won't find them anywhere near the version value in the client file .

changing the client version doesn't change the 2xchar value. 

Tell me the value of these two chars in your case maybe it is some winapi function that might return different values in case of different conditions like different machines etc.

Edit : I have a trick that might work  I will try it once I get back home

---
Remember when is not an organization nor a fucking group , it's simply an idea that we believe in
and live for.
The priority of Remember when should come before oxygen , as oxygen is cosmetic even life itself is
cosmetic,that's why offer our worthless lives to The "Remember when"
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #199041 Re: Client Version

Yeah, I might have to check exactly what the client is sending the server for those 2 chars prior to the version. They would both just be 0 if this was a thing.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #199043 Re: Client Version

You can really just update that last byte to client subversion 253 and be ok. I don't see what sense it makes having a same version that needs an update (although we are just gfx patching and not making real software updates). In that case if you are changing something that requires a user to take action, it is pretty unimportant that you hold on to a version number just because it has a nice ring to it. Tbh, software versions are only the fine print in a pushed content world here as we end 2015. Just a thought.

8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #199044 Re: Client Version

That's a valid opinion, and was my initial opinion as well, but if it's possible to display a user-intuitive representation of the client version, I'd like to do so.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #199050 Re: Client Version

There is no user intuitive version number. The world knows EO stopped at .28 and whatever you add is a creative hack. Coming up with various forms of incrementing the version number is just redundant. There are probably a few methods not involving hex editing the client as well, but that is the most conventional. Either way, cosmetic version changes for whatever reason is useless.

8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #199053 Re: Client Version
Apollo posted: (15th Dec 2015, 01:45 am)

There is no user intuitive version number. The world knows EO stopped at .28 and whatever you add is a creative hack. Coming up with various forms of incrementing the version number is just redundant. There are probably a few methods not involving hex editing the client as well, but that is the most conventional. Either way, cosmetic version changes for whatever reason is useless.

I would rather not cap out after I update graphics files 253 times. Sure, I could just go back to 1 after a while, but in a patcher scenario I'd *prefer* to have a distinctive version number even if small fixes or other updates are required patches for the client.

Sure, we can call it aesthetic. Regardless, if anyone has information about how this may work clientside and if it is indeed functional, then I'd like to utilize it.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
8 years, 20 weeks ago
Post #201936 Re: Client Version

I know this topic is a year+ old, but I figured this would be worth posting.
I know It's not really what you're looking for, but it may still be of use.

I don't think the '0.' and '000.' values are useable, at least I cannot find a way to change those so far.
I've found out how to block them from being used though. If they are not useable/changeable, or part of the actual client version, they have no reason to be there, right? They do not effect the actual version number in any way, it just looks ugly.

Below are the addresses and bytes, to make the version string look better by removing parts.
Nop the bytes of the address you want to remove from the client version string.

Gets Rid Of '0.000.'  Ex: (028)
004030F3 E8 BC 19 23 00

Gets Rid Of '0.000'  Ex: (.028)
00402FC6 8D 4D E0

Gets Rid Of '000' Ex: (0.028)
0040FB4D 8B 81 24 04 00 00 

Gets Rid Of the '0.' Ex: (000.028)
00402F0C E8 A3 1B 23 00

Hide Client Version/Show Only IP-Host Name
0040FB7D E8 0E 33 FF FF       

Change Client Version Text Color (Change 'BEAA96' to your preferred html color code.)
0040FA9D BA BE AA 96 00  

Change Client Version Text Size (Change '08' to '09' or '0A')
0040FB01 BA 09 00 00 00 

Apollo: I'd have to disagree with you about changing it being useless. I consider it beneficial and proper.
What looks better, and makes more logical sense?
'0.000.028'? or '028'/'.028' If the prior values cannot be changed, it makes no sense to have them there in my opinion. =d

---
EO Resources/Guides: â—„ eobud.boards.net â–º
7 years, 17 weeks ago
Post #201938 Re: Client Version
shayne posted: (28th Dec 2016, 02:49 pm)

I don't think the '0.' and '000.' values are useable, at least I cannot find a way to change those so far.
I've found out how to block them from being used though. If they are not useable/changeable, or part of the actual client version, they have no reason to be there, right? They do not effect the actual version number in any way, it just looks ugly.

Below are the addresses and bytes, to make the version string look better by removing parts.

Gets Rid Of '0.0.0.0.'  Ex: (028)
004030F3 E8 BC 19 23 00

Gets Rid Of '0.0.0.0'  Ex: (.028)
00402FC6 8D 4D E0

Gets Rid Of '0.0.0' Ex: (0.028)

Gets Rid Of the '0.' Ex: (0.0.028)
00402F0C E8 A3 1B 23 00

0040FB7D E8 0E 33 FF FF

Apollo: I'd have to disagree with you about changing it being useless. I consider it beneficial and proper.
'0.000.028'? or '028'/'.028' If the prior values cannot be changed, it makes no sense to have them there in my opinion. =d

That's a fun little cosmetic hack you've got there, I may utilize that. Thanks!
---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
7 years, 17 weeks ago
Post #201941 Re: Client Version
Cirras posted: (28th Dec 2016, 11:31 pm)

shayne posted: (28th Dec 2016, 02:49 pm)

Gets Rid Of '0.0.0.0.'  Ex: (028)
004030F3 E8 BC 19 23 00

Gets Rid Of '0.0.0.0'  Ex: (.028)
00402FC6 8D 4D E0

Gets Rid Of '0.0.0' Ex: (0.028)

Gets Rid Of the '0.' Ex: (0.0.028)
00402F0C E8 A3 1B 23 00

0040FB7D E8 0E 33 FF FF

That's a fun little cosmetic hack you've got there, I may utilize that. Thanks!
No problem. I forgot to add the version text color/version text size.

Change Client Version Text Size
0040FB01 BA 09 00 00 00 

Change Client Version Text Color
0040FA9D BA BE AA 96 00
---
EO Resources/Guides: â—„ eobud.boards.net â–º
7 years, 17 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Client Version