EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Rebirth Release
Page: << 1 >>
Rebirth Release
Post #198822 Rebirth Release

Rebirth system release for revision 535

*Warning this does open to a txt file on the net, it is very bright and hard on the eyes.*

Rebirth System

If anyone finds any bugs or has any suggestions feel free to post them and I'll look into them!

8 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #198826 Re: Rebirth Release

Good release.

A word of caution, this code allows for no "rollover" of EXP. In other words, if you've got a super duper EXP scroll worth 1,000,000 points of EXP, and you use it 10 EXP points away from Rebirth, you lose 9,999,990 points of EXP because the Rebirth() function resets it to 0 regardless of how far over this Rebirth Level's EXP you just went.

I suggest seeing if there's a way that you can modify that Rebirth() function to be more fair in this aspect, that way they can rebirth -> And then the rest of the EXP is allocated and they continue leveling up from 0 with it.

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
8 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #198827 Re: Rebirth Release
Cirras posted: (8th Nov 2015, 05:27 am)

Good release.

A word of caution, this code allows for no "rollover" of EXP. In other words, if you've got a super duper EXP scroll worth 1,000,000 points of EXP, and you use it 10 EXP points away from Rebirth, you lose 9,999,990 points of EXP because the Rebirth() function resets it to 0 regardless of how far over this Rebirth Level's EXP you just went.

I suggest seeing if there's a way that you can modify that Rebirth() function to be more fair in this aspect, that way they can rebirth -> And then the rest of the EXP is allocated and they continue leveling up from 0 with it.

An easy way to do that would be to have the amount of XP that would be removed subtracted from the amount of current XP a player has. This way you get the rollover XP and the set amount of XP to be removed will be taken away at the same time.
---
May he now rest under aegis of mirage -
As the sands slowly turn to Elysian fields
8 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #198828 Re: Rebirth Release

A roll over would be easy to add like Syran said, but what's the point. This isn't just another level where the extra EXP would put you further to your goal. A Rebirth to me is a total start over, you're resetting back to the start but keeping the stats you've earned.

Having a roll over seems pointless as it's off the point of a Rebirth and you'd gain, what, like 3-5 levels

EDIT: just re-read what you said, I should have mentioned this doesn't actually force rebirths. I added that as an option from remembering Apollo saying it was a better way to rebirth (In his opinion I guess) But you could always disable that and let players choose to stay up in the high levels as players will almost certainly rebirth on their own anyway.

I don't quite get the point in EXP scrolls being massive anyway as in most servers you can earn that amount of exp easily anyway, so the scrolls are kinda pointless (I scroll big enough to put a dent in a level 200+ is horrific anyway).

8 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #198830 Re: Rebirth Release
callum posted: (8th Nov 2015, 02:37 pm)

A roll over would be easy to add like Syran said, but what's the point. This isn't just another level where the extra EXP would put you further to your goal. A Rebirth to me is a total start over, you're resetting back to the start but keeping the stats you've earned.

Having a roll over seems pointless as it's off the point of a Rebirth and you'd gain, what, like 3-5 levels

EDIT: just re-read what you said, I should have mentioned this doesn't actually force rebirths. I added that as an option from remembering Apollo saying it was a better way to rebirth (In his opinion I guess) But you could always disable that and let players choose to stay up in the high levels as players will almost certainly rebirth on their own anyway.

I don't quite get the point in EXP scrolls being massive anyway as in most servers you can earn that amount of exp easily anyway, so the scrolls are kinda pointless (I scroll big enough to put a dent in a level 200+ is horrific anyway).

A good point, but consider servers that do donations and such, right? Let's say it's a big ol' 2 billion EXP scroll someone bought for cash.

You expect they'd be pretty pissed if the RB was forced and they lost 1 billion EXP, right?

---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
8 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #198832 Re: Rebirth Release
Cirras posted: (8th Nov 2015, 10:02 pm)

A good point, but consider servers that do donations and such, right? Let's say it's a big ol' 2 billion EXP scroll someone bought for cash.

You expect they'd be pretty pissed if the RB was forced and they lost 1 billion EXP, right?

Then they can sort that out with the idiot who sold them a scroll that big :D

But seriously, the chances of a scroll that big being used and actually causing a substantial lose is very unlikely. Some good server planning would avoid that, or disabling the force rebirth.

8 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #198833 Re: Rebirth Release
callum posted: (8th Nov 2015, 10:06 pm)

Cirras posted: (8th Nov 2015, 10:02 pm)

Then they can sort that out with the idiot who sold them a scroll that big :D

But seriously, the chances of a scroll that big being used and actually causing a substantial lose is very unlikely. Some good server planning would avoid that, or disabling the force rebirth.

That's fair, I just like code to be flexible as possible I suppose. I wouldn't mention it if BU hadn't gotten player complaints back when our Rebirth system was like that.
---
Want to learn to pixel?
Pixelsource.org
8 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #198835 Re: Rebirth Release

Nice release. I agree for the most part you shouldn't have to use a 1million+ Exp Scroll really, but I could understand if you want players to be able to buy them or something. I think it would make more sense to fix the issue then to leave it as is. I guess it wouldn't be a huge deal, but if it's a simple fix, might as well fix it. =d

---
EO Resources/Guides: â—„ eobud.boards.net â–º
8 years, 25 weeks ago
Post #198836 Re: Rebirth Release

When I did my rebirth system, I locked it to the highest level my server supported and no one under that level could use it. It would then save the rebirth count to their character table and use that to calculate how many stat points they would have. Looking back it could've been optimized but it was a pretty good system.

---
May he now rest under aegis of mirage -
As the sands slowly turn to Elysian fields
8 years, 25 weeks ago
Page: << 1 >>

EOSERV Forum > EOSERV > Rebirth Release